E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
naMKaren

My Ride: 2001 330i
Preventative maintenance

Anyone here ever done any of the preventative maintenance found in the sticky threads in the general forum?

Maintenance including cooling system overhaul, valve gasket replacement, control arm bushings, and etc...??

I was hoping to ask people directly and where to source the parts required.

Thanks.
naMKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
helrot330ci

I just did my cooling system overhaul few weeks ago.

Get all your parts from Clickable Automotive. see below:

http://clickableautomotive.com.au/bm...ystem-kit.html
helrot330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
M3_Maniac

My Ride: MY 4.5 M3 SMG
Go to realoem.com type in the last 7 digits of your VIN and it will give all the part numbers you will need. Buy all your parts from Pelicanparts.com. Get yourself a Bentley manual for the E46 and it's all very simple to do if you know what end of a spanner to hold :-)
M3_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
naMKaren

sweet thanks guys
where can i get this bentley manual as well?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #5
MSportBMW

My Ride: E46, EVO8
If I recall correctly there was a link to the softcopy on the forum somewhere...
Old 09-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
TonyJ

My Ride: E46 330i
Bentley manual probably won't suit an absolute beginner. They tend to miss some steps or details since they expect a mechanic would already known. I found it is easiest to follow the DIY guides posted by average people. So they may have the same problem as you, make the same mistake, and someone would explain some very basic stuff which may sound like a fool to explain to the pros.
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Ye I rolled my guards

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
ECS tuning is also another great website if Clickable can't help.

In terms of preventative maintenance I generally only do things that will cause damage / be a PITA if they do break / fail or if I am doing another job and I can replace other components at the same time which would otherwise need doing in the near future anyway. Kpeng's guide to maintenance is a good thread to read. Most things you can sight for wear and replace accordingly.

Cooling system probably isn't a bad one depending on Km's. If the expansion tank goes you can forget limping home, it's onto the back of a tow truck for you. Same goes when belts snap or pulleys seize so check for signs of wear on them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
Ye I rolled my guards
Preventative fitment FTW. Reminds me, I need to figure out what size spacers I can run...

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
Lucas@Clickable
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
Agreed. We're a much better help with sourcing non inventory items for the non-M's though!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 AM   #10
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas@Clickable View Post
Agreed. We're a much better help with sourcing non inventory items for the non-M's though!
I don't know if it's at all possible and I'm sure you're working on it if you can but ECS seems to have a reliable source for OEM parts at great prices. If you could some how land a deal with this source, allowing locals to get OEM parts at a similar or slightly more expensive price than ECS you'd make an absolute killing!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #11
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:

In terms of preventative maintenance I generally only do things that will cause damage / be a PITA if they do break / fail or if I am doing another job and I can replace other components at the same time which would otherwise need doing in the near future anyway. Kpeng's guide to maintenance is a good thread to read. Most things you can sight for wear and replace accordingly.

Cooling system probably isn't a bad one depending on Km's. If the expansion tank goes you can forget limping home, it's onto the back of a tow truck for you. Same goes when belts snap or pulleys seize so check for signs of wear on them too.

Preventative fitment FTW. Reminds me, I need to figure out what size spacers I can run...
10MM !

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #12
DeclanM3

Quote:
10MM !

I think it's more like 15 in the front then 10/12 in the back.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #13
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
10MM !

20mm!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #14
///Pulo

My Ride: 330CI///M individual
Send a message via Skype™ to ///Pulo
dont fix it til its BROKE!

... these are CARS not AEROPLANES!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #15
aar0n_91

My Ride: 05 BMW325CI///MSport
When a part breaks just leave it on the side of the road and buy a new car.

BMW 325 CI ///M-SPORT INDIVIDUAL
aar0n_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #16
Lucas@Clickable
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
I don't know if it's at all possible and I'm sure you're working on it if you can but ECS seems to have a reliable source for OEM parts at great prices. If you could some how land a deal with this source, allowing locals to get OEM parts at a similar or slightly more expensive price than ECS you'd make an absolute killing!
Thanks Declan. We're certainly working on it in the areas we can - but having the full BMW Genuine catalogue available to us, such as ECSTuing, is not really a realistic target, or a direction we want to go in over the next few years. We have, what I feel are some much more exciting things arriving soon!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
When you say preventative maintenance, are you talking about doing the work yourself or giving your mechanic a list of things and the parts you just bought?

If you give it a go yourself, you'll learn an immense amount about your car and feel the satisfaction of having accomplished something yourself - how many people do you know that keep their BMW on the road because of their own work?

Anyway, I started off only ever having done an oil change on a previous car and now I have done front and rear bushings, installed bluetooth, pulled my cluster, dash and door cards apart, run diagnostics and recoded the car. With each bit of work my confidence and understanding of the car is increasing. If you need a hand, I'm happy to help

The next couple of weekends (or early finishing week nights!) will see MAF, ICV and vacuum hoses cleaned / checked. Before summer will be a cooling system overhaul and an Inspection I. Over summer I'm thinking of a diff flush, ATF flush x 2. I may attempt the VANOS seals and VCG after that. I intend to all of this do myself in my garage.

Good luck!

PS - Lucas @ Clickable is an excellent source of OEM parts!

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
naMKaren

Thanks all guys for the responses, your suggestions have helped a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
When you say preventative maintenance, are you talking about doing the work yourself or giving your mechanic a list of things and the parts you just bought?

If you give it a go yourself, you'll learn an immense amount about your car and feel the satisfaction of having accomplished something yourself - how many people do you know that keep their BMW on the road because of their own work?

Anyway, I started off only ever having done an oil change on a previous car and now I have done front and rear bushings, installed bluetooth, pulled my cluster, dash and door cards apart, run diagnostics and recoded the car. With each bit of work my confidence and understanding of the car is increasing. If you need a hand, I'm happy to help

The next couple of weekends (or early finishing week nights!) will see MAF, ICV and vacuum hoses cleaned / checked. Before summer will be a cooling system overhaul and an Inspection I. Over summer I'm thinking of a diff flush, ATF flush x 2. I may attempt the VANOS seals and VCG after that. I intend to all of this do myself in my garage.

Good luck!

PS - Lucas @ Clickable is an excellent source of OEM parts!
Hey Ballistic,

I'm planning to do everything myself - the missus is hesitant though, she thinks I'll f*** something up which will cost even more $$$. Fair comment, but fortune (or extra costs) favours the brave.

The only mechanical experience I have is servicing my own bicycles (and no one taught me hands on there) so I think I should be okay. I'll just take my time and read and watch as much as possible.

And thanks for the offer - I might have to take you up on it, is a case of beer and a BBQ meal be okay?!

Last edited by naMKaren; 09-11-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #19
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Cooling system is the weak part. Expansion tank, top hose, thermostat etc every 5 years to save possible big $$$$$
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #20
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Pulo View Post
dont fix it til its BROKE!

... these are CARS not AEROPLANES!
Preventative maintenance is the difference between a reliable and unreliable BMW. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is an expensive and illogical concept with these cars.

- The VANOS is stuffed on all of them.

- Have a cooling system failure because you didn't replace $300 of parts when they needed to be changed can cost THOUSANDS easily, at the very least leave you stranded.

- You replace suspension when it's worn out, mostly by 150,000km which is most of them.

- By your theory if your water pump is leaking water, just change that and don't bother to change all your tensioners and pulleys and belts which will probably bust in 20,000km and make you pull the front apart again. Waste of time and money if you don't.

- Driveshaft rubber can destroy your driveshaft if left to get too bad.

- Transmissions need to be serviced every 100,000km if you want to make it confidently past 200,000km

- You never know when the spaghetti under the intake manifold has a hole in it until it's huge, but at 10yrs+ I guarantee most of them do and it's sapping the performance of their car. 10yr old rubber/plastic, just do it.

Seriously, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is not the way to go when we have access to so much information regarding life expectancy of parts and such CHEAP parts. You must own a tow truck.

Last edited by trive2; 09-12-2012 at 11:02 PM.
trive2 is offline   Reply With Quote