E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
P46E46

My Ride: 2004 325Xi
Question 5 speed not pulling off motor

hey everyone so im about balls deep in a clutch job on my 04 325xi. i ran into some issues but adapted to them and figured it out but my last one jus happened last night. i went to pull back the tranny and it pulled off a half inch then stopped dead and wont move anymore. any ideas on whats goin on?
P46E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
Likely that the trany housing is hung up in the transmission tunnel. the Bentley says to rotate the housing slightly to clear and lower. Did you disconnect the shift linkage? Also if you remove the drivers side engine mount and loosen the passanger side mount you will find that you can lower the engine/tranny a couple of inches further making the job much easier. This really helps when it comes time to reinstall. Its not hard to do and it will save you much time and effort in the end
Old 09-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
doverby

My Ride: Chirps 4
I'm in the same spot on mine. I'm having difficulty even removing some of the upper tranny bolts. Is there a DIY on removing engine mounts? Also, if I remove those, what's securing the engine from shifting in the compartment?

Any help is greatly appreciated! My baby is all torn apart in the garage! :-/
doverby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
doverby

You still have the subframe to support the engine on the engine mount bracket. Its been awhile since I did my clutch but if I recall you can get to the top of the left and right engine mounts from above with a long extension, just a couple of bolts. Once the bolts are removed use a floor jack with a wood block to protect the engine and lift the engine slightly to remove the drivers side mount. Its a B%^ch to get out but it should come with a little prying. Leave the passenger side in place. Lower the engine and trany and you will find that the engine will drop a few inches giving you better access to the trany bolts and better clearance to remove trany from the tunnel. I may have repositioned the floor jack to push up on the engine in the front to rock the back down slightly. Just go easy with the jack and don't push too hard. There is also a closeoff plate below the fresh air intake that I removed that gave me better acces to the top bolts on the trany and allowed the engine and trany to rock back a little further.

Once the trany is out it is also a good time to replace the vacuum lines at the back of the engine. Don't forget the main engine seal and pilot bearing
Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
fastjasonbmw

My Ride: 330Xi
I had a trans a few Weeks ago that was a real pain in the ass to remove because the pilot bearing was seized onto the input shaft. Could be the samething you're running into. A couple of large prybars finally did the trick. So, don't forget to lube the input shaft when you reinstall the tranny. Good luck.
fastjasonbmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 speed manual, tranny