E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #61
Busabos77

My Ride: 04 Tiag M3 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by remington View Post
I have to admit when I read the title of this thread I clicked just to watch the train wreck...instead I'm completely impressed with the preparation, thoroughness and attention to details of this project, and most of all with the size of your enormous cojones for even attempting this. The results so far truly blow me away.

Having said that, I don't really care for the imola red and black interior. But that is neither here nor there as it's a personal preference.

Thank you sir! I knew that even before I even started this project, a lot of people will tell me that it will not work or go with the OEM instead of doing this. I also would have to admit that I got scared because of those comments but I told myself that I should be ready to buy an IMOLA OEM interior if ever I do mess this up. I made sure that I researched properly and looked at some threads that other members did in different forums. I tried to get the techniques/steps they used that worked and discarded the ones that they did and turned out bad. In most of the threads that I have read, the ones that turned out bad and started peeling/scuffing were the ones that were done quickly with not enough preparation. So with this project, I gave myself a month to work on everything just to make sure that it will be done right. Again, I am happy to share this info with everyone in the forum and I am so far, impressed on how this product works when done with the proper steps.
Busabos77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #62
Busabos77

JUST TO CLARIFY WHAT TO DO AFTER ALL THE PIECES ARE INSTALLED:

I just spoke to the Leatherique people and they told me that after I'm done dyeing the pieces, all I have to do is apply a wax that has a high carnuba content. After a 1 or 1.5 years, they told me to apply the rejuvenator and pristine clean to it again just for maintenance. But for now, they said pristine clean should do the job whenever I want to clean it.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #63
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Great work!
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #64
Laguna01///M3
OG PapaSmurf

My Ride: Grigio Medio E46 M3
GREAT job so far. I have this kit to redo my cinnamon front seats. Gonnado it over winter when the car sits in the garage.

They want you to use a Carnuba body wax? Interesting.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #65
Busabos77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna01///M3 View Post
GREAT job so far. I have this kit to redo my cinnamon front seats. Gonnado it over winter when the car sits in the garage.

They want you to use a Carnuba body wax? Interesting.
Yup...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #66
E46DC2

My Ride: Is slow
came out awesome!!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #67
s56powered

My Ride: E46 M3
looks like a lot of work.
s56powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #68
3ric

My Ride: 06 M3 ZCP
Nice Work... I give you credit. The interior is going to be 1000x better than the original.

Last edited by 3ric; 09-28-2012 at 09:27 PM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #69
VG1134
Old City Bimmer

My Ride: Classifieds
Nice work. Looks awesome
VG1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #70
Bimmekid91

My Ride: 2001 e46
I'm gonna do this I've been wanting to for a while
Bimmekid91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:46 AM   #71
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Thanks Brian!!!! After seeing your project in person today you know I'm going to want to do this to my ///M!
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets

Last edited by cak323i; 09-29-2012 at 04:47 AM.
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #72
Busabos77

Updates... Friday night, I got home from work and began working on the interior. It continued the whole day till Saturday afternoon at 5pm with no sleep. I had to get as much done so that I would be left with just the 2 front seats. I got help from my good friend Desmond (whom I met way back in the Honda Prelude Forums) that Friday night until Saturday afternoon. He too did not have sleep! Talk about dedication. Charlie aslo came in to help Saturday morning despite his kidney stone problem! Talk about dedication again!!! Big ups to you guys!!! Thank you for all the help and you bet that it would not be forgotten!

Dash wash taken out, glove box, front kick panels and the carpet. Desmond and I took out the dash from 11pm till 4am. 5 hours of work for the dash. 2 hours reasearching things and 3 hours of actual labor. I think it would be about 3 hours of labor if you knew how to take the dash out. We made sure we labled all the screws and small pieces in a zip lock bag. I started painting the dash and the kick panels 9am and we installed it around 3pm. enough time to do 3 coats. The black carpet was also installed as well as the new black center console with arm rest delete courtesy of charlie. Rear seats are almost complete. I need to buy some OEM door panel clipc tomorrow to install all 4 panels. I also resprayed the black part of all the door panels with the Black leatherique Dye that I bought to match them with the dash. The vinyl fabric was good but it was so dull and rough. It did not have that OEM feel to it so I decided to respray them again.

I plan to get the OEM door panel clips tomorrow and assemble the door panels and install them.

GETTING READY TO TAKE THE DASH OUT

SOME PIECES LINED UP

STARTED WITH THE DRIVER SIDE VENT AND LIGHT SWITCH

THEN THE STEERING WHEEL

THEN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

THE DASH TRIMS

THEN THE RADIO

CLIMATE CONTROL, ASHTRAY, THE SHIFT AREA ETC...

ALMOST OUT

GLOVE BOX REMOVED

ACCELERATOR PEDAL REMOVED

LOWER STEERING COLUMN COVER REMOVED

TIME TO REMOVE THE DASH

AND ITS OFF!!!

GREY CARPET REMOVED

BLACK CARPET INSTALLED

Old 09-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #73
Busabos77

DYEING THE DASHBOARD

DASHBOARD DRYING

STARTED TO PUT THINGS BACK TOGETHER

DASHBOARD AND A FEW THINGS BACK IN

STEERING WHEEL CENTER CONSOLE, VENTS, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, ETC.... INSTALLED

REAR BACK RESTS AND REAR PANEL INSTALLED

BETTER PHOTOS TODAY... DAYTIME PHOTOS ALMOST SHOWS THE REAL COLOR AND SHINE OF THE PIECES!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #74
remington

My Ride: 2006 M3 competition

Dang, and I got nervous installing my V1.

Last edited by remington; 09-30-2012 at 08:33 PM.
remington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #75
greenskycity

My Ride: 1999 328i
Dayum.....in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
greenskycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #76
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
You did a great job with pulling everything apart. I'm still sadened that you went through with Leatherique and even more so that you didn't seek a proper matte coat to at least get an OEM sheen. I thought my link made the difference quite clear.

OE Imola doesn't have that sheen unless it has been armoralled to death.

Last edited by braymond141; 09-30-2012 at 09:23 PM.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #77
Busabos77

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post
You did a great job with pulling everything apart. I'm still sadened that you went through with Leatherique and even more so that you didn't seek a proper matte coat to at least get an OEM sheen. I thought my link made the difference quite clear.

OE Imola doesn't have that sheen unless it has been armoralled to death.

I still have to sand the rear back rests with 2000 grit when done. It will take out the sheen. It looks shiny right now because they just got dyed. Only good to touch and install but not for sanding yet.

Here is the lower rear set that dryed and got sanded. It's less shiny and its almost the same shine as the photo you showed. Keep in mind that this is only a week old dye job so I'm sure it's a little shiny still. I will show some photos with daylight so that you may see the final outcome. It is dyed so please do not expect it to be 100% OEM...

Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #78
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Well that's better, just not sure how I'd classify the quality of doing that though. You still know how I feel about Leatherique and I'm not at all discrediting your effort. I still feel at the minimum a true matte top coat would of been more ideal.

Did you ever try the peel test?

Last edited by braymond141; 09-30-2012 at 10:30 PM.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #79
Ophidian_PR1M3

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
Very nice work!!
Ophidian_PR1M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #80
Busabos77

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post
Well that's better, just not sure how I'd classify the quality of doing that though. You still know how I feel about Leatherique and I'm not at all discrediting your effort. I still feel at the minimum a true matte top coat would of been more ideal.

Did you ever try the peel test?
It looks good to me... I understand that you are just trying to state your opinion and I respect that. I know how you feel about Leatherique but believe me, I sat on the rear seat and used my key to rub it. I even sanded it with 2000 grit and never peeled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian_PR1M3 View Post
Very nice work!!
Thank you!