E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
CNT B M3

My Ride: M3
my squeaky brakes are driving me crazy!!

I have carbon brake pads, the previous owner put them on, supposedly they are low dust, but they do stop amazingly. They are just too dam SQUEAKY! everyone is looking around for a bus or a freight train, and they just see me in my clean M3 and they are like WTF u need new brakes.

All my friends break my chops that i need new pads but they have like 80% life left. I was told anti-squeak will not work well with these and only temporarily if it does. Does anyone have an suggestions?

The hotter they get the squeakier, like after i stop to get off the highway, they are squeaking like crazy. The only thing that helps is stopping short rather than easing into the brake pedal, but i live in an area easing into brakes is an everyday thing. Any suggestions?
CNT B M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
i have stock break pads/rotors. They squeak too. I was told this is caused by "glazing" of the brake pads. One method was to do quick panic stops to rub it off. Or you'd have to take off the brakes and sand off the glazing.

I've just gotten used to it. Mine don't squeak that bad.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Mahjik

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Send a message via ICQ to Mahjik Send a message via AIM to Mahjik
http://www.modbargains.com/_e/E46_Br..._available.htm

Then:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Eurobahn BMW
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: BMW Greensboro
i used to dip my pads in some graphite and alch solution made by BG. i dunno if you can get it anymore.

Eurobahn BMW MINI Mercedes-Benz Audi - Greensboro, NC Search for a local, independent BMW Greensboro shop with BMW mechanics that have dealer-level expertise at a fraction of the cost.

Eurobahn BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
Ingenere

My Ride: M3, 348 SS, SL55
Send a message via Yahoo to Ingenere
you could be like this guy....

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...ini.lemon.knxv

I have to admit that I know him.

Ciao.........Dino
M3... Tuned to 370 hp & delimited
SL55 AMG... Tuned to 550 hp & delimited
TR (sold)
Ferrari Challenge Stradale
F40 (sold)
March/Cosworth Indycar
Ducati 916
Mini Cooper S...Tuned to 185 hp

www.veloceperformance.com
Ingenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
bauster

My Ride: 2004 M3
I have the same problem with my pads. When I got my discs and pads replaced they recommended Textar because I wanted something good with low dust. Bad choice, It works pretty good but I cant live with the squeak. It does it after a little hard driving similar to yours, and the quick stops also help, but it's really annoying. I think I'm going to change my pads after I check em out. It's probably due to the glazing too, but before that I had some Autozone pads that were really low dust and worked pretty good with absolutely no noise at all!
bauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
sick.boy1986

My Ride: ///M3
Did any of you guys that are having a squeaking problem perform the proper pad/rotor break-in procedures, per the pad manufacturer?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Did any of you guys that are having a squeaking problem perform the proper pad/rotor break-in procedures, per the pad manufacturer?
+1

that may help
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
CNT B M3

i already tried bedding them in, and i think it worked for a day, it went away for alil, and then it came right back.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
///m3some

My Ride: Gintani S/C E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to ///m3some
i have this stuff at the shop that you coat your pads in..the name escapes me right now but when i get to the shop ill find out. it works really well

SPECIAL THANKS TO GINTANI & OE TUNING
///m3some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
CNT B M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///m3some View Post
i have this stuff at the shop that you coat your pads in..the name escapes me right now but when i get to the shop ill find out. it works really well
thank you, please let me know the name
Old 04-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnt b m3 View Post
+1
Old 04-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #13
ianmason

My Ride: '05 M3 Vert
I've been told by numerous techs, that's what you get with Euro cars. My '08 A4 did the same thing. The techs at Audi said it's normal. Sure enough the M does it too.
ianmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:56 AM   #14
M3&CLK55

Send a message via MSN to M3&CLK55 Send a message via Yahoo to M3&CLK55
brakes

try to re-surface the rotors, it actually helps
M3&CLK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #15
///m3some

My Ride: Gintani S/C E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to ///m3some
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNT B M3 View Post
husky heavy duty anit-squeak http://huskybrake.com/product.asp

SPECIAL THANKS TO GINTANI & OE TUNING

Last edited by ///m3some; 04-11-2010 at 03:40 AM.
///m3some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #16
sick.boy1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNT B M3 View Post
i already tried bedding them in, and i think it worked for a day, it went away for alil, and then it came right back.
Some pads can take over 500 miles to bed in, depends on a lot of things. You have to avoid hard breaking, which I know can be difficult to remember/avoid, until then. Others you can bed-in after about 15 minutes, it's really important to read the instructions that came with the pads, or check on the internet. Once properly bedded, most pads nowadays will not squeak loud enough to raise any eyebrows. Btw, the reason people make wise cracks about needing new brakes is because squeaking breaks used to indicate exactly that. There was a metal piece, called a squealer, that would come into contact with the rotor once a certain amount of wear occurred. It would give you a real nice squeal everytime the breaks were applied.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #17
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
The OP has carbon brake pads, which are technically track/autocross brake pad material designed to take very high heat and stop extremely well under hard braking as in the aformentioned events. I highly doubt you will ever get them to shut up. It's just the nature of the beast. If you want no squeak, you're gonna end up changing pads IMHO. Chas
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #18
sick.boy1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasCan View Post
The OP has carbon brake pads, which are technically track/autocross brake pad material designed to take very high heat and stop extremely well under hard braking as in the aformentioned events. I highly doubt you will ever get them to shut up. It's just the nature of the beast. If you want no squeak, you're gonna end up changing pads IMHO. Chas
+1, performance pads are more likely to squeak due to the materials used in the pad composition.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #19
bstuff

My Ride: m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick.boy1986 View Post
+1, performance pads are more likely to squeak due to the materials used in the pad composition.
Thats right!!!!!!!
bstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #20
muppetmaster

Mine squeak like crazy but it goes away for a while after a good track day. Solution...track it once week or so and they'll stay quiet.
muppetmaster is offline   Reply With Quote