E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #181
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
I'm terribly underworked and underpaid. It sucks.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #182
Dirty Mike

My Ride: Fern Green 330ci
FMEA control plans for fabrication at a body plant. friggin plasmas. Quality nerd here...
Dirty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #183
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
I'm terribly underworked and underpaid. It sucks.
Join the club. We meet every night at the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mike View Post
FMEA control plans for fabrication at a body plant. friggin plasmas. Quality nerd here...
Quality engineers are the bane of my existance. None of the guys that work here ever want to make a damn decision about anything.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #184
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
LOL Oh QA people
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #185
Elvin123

My Ride: 328i
doing a civil engineering major, I feel like its never gunna end
Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #186
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin123 View Post
doing a civil engineering major, I feel like its never gunna end
Senior year was my best year, it gets easier. But by then I had realized I hated the material so maybe I just cared less

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 01-31-2013 at 01:57 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #187
Elvin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Senior year was my best year, it gets easier. But by then I had realized I hated the material so maybe I just cared less
I'm just having trouble with the math. I'm sure the actual engineering classes will be easier. I just hope working this hard for school will pay off when im done.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #188
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
I'm just having trouble with the math. I'm sure the actual engineering classes will be easier. I just hope working this hard for school will pay off when im done.
Take my advice and be sure you like what you're doing once you hit soil mechanics, structural analysis, etc. I had friends that thought concrete design and timber design were the coolest things on the planet, but I wanted to chew on the end of a gun during every class. So now I'm back in school because I hated every minute of my job for 2 years. The only classes I enjoyed were fluids and dynamics, neither of which have much to to with CE, so I'm aiming for physics & aerospace this time around.

flickher

Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #189
Elvin123

Quote:
Take my advice and be sure you like what you're doing once you hit soil mechanics, structural analysis, etc. I had friends that thought concrete design and timber design were the coolest things on the planet, but I wanted to chew on the end of a gun during every class. So now I'm back in school because I hated every minute of my job for 2 years. The only classes I enjoyed were fluids and dynamics, neither of which have much to to with CE, so I'm aiming for physics & aerospace this time around.
The only real reason I'm doing CE is because no schools around me have a construction management major so i'm pretty much gunna be an over educated construction manager once finish school I land a job. I could look for a CE job but I already have experience and connections with construction management firms from past internships and highschool. Construction management is just so easy compared to the engineering side of things the, pay doesn't hurt either.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #190
cowmoo32
drunken science

That's exactly what I did. NCSU has a construction management focus within the CE department, so I still took the FE and could be a licensed PE if I wanted, but I took an estimating class where the regular CEs took traffic design and our senior projects were different. I was bidding work and acted as project manager on the bids I won. I fvcking hated it, and I grew up around construction. After going through all the math, engineering, and problem solving, that kind of work just wasn't challenging enough for me. Babysitting grown men and subcontractors just wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong, there's good money to be made in the field but if that's all you're after then you're going to hate life.

edit: I saw in the other thread you mentioned you're talking Calc II. That is by far the hardest math you'll take. I'm in linear algebra and diff eq II (partial diff eq) right now and I would still rather take these than have to take calc II again. Fvck that class.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 01-31-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #191
Elvin123

Lets see hopefully I could bang all these engineering classes out before I die of old age. I almost changed my major to graphic design last semester semester all these brain frying classes plus work is making me miserable.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #192
cowmoo32
drunken science

It's worth it in the end. I'll never forget when I looked up at some contrails and something clicked in my head and I could "see" the equations working that I had learned in fluids. If anything, going through engineering made me appreciate math. You'll look at everything in a whole new light.

flickher

Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #193
Elvin123

What kind of job are you looking for in the physics & aerospace field?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #194
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Quote:
That's exactly what I did. NCSU has a construction management focus within the CE department, so I still took the FE and could be a licensed PE if I wanted, but I took an estimating class where the regular CEs took traffic design and our senior projects were different. I was bidding work and acted as project manager on the bids I won. I fvcking hated it, and I grew up around construction. After going through all the math, engineering, and problem solving, that kind of work just wasn't challenging enough for me. Babysitting grown men and subcontractors just wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong, there's good money to be made in the field but if that's all you're after then you're going to hate life.

edit: I saw in the other thread you mentioned you're talking Calc II. That is by far the hardest math you'll take. I'm in linear algebra and diff eq II (partial diff eq) right now and I would still rather take these than have to take calc II again. Fvck that class.
Calc II is ruining my life right now... and it just started! Actually its not as bad as Chem...

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS

Last edited by zuckuss00; 01-31-2013 at 03:09 PM.
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #195
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
What kind of job are you looking for in the physics & aerospace field?
I'm still hashing that out, but definitely private space flight; that market is about to blow up. Like I said, I love fluids so I know I want to focus on aerodynamics in grad school but as far as an actual job I'm not sure. Honestly, I could see myself in a marketing/PR/sales position or managing teams on projects. I love explaining things to people and I'm not socially awkward like a lot of engineers, so marketing is an obvious choice, but I would still like to be doing actual science and solving problems too, so I'm not sure. I have plenty of time to figure that out though.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 01-31-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #196
Elvin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
Calc II is ruining my life right now... and it just started! Actually its not as bad as Chem...
Chem 2 ruined my life last semester. and I have to retake it
Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #197
Elvin123

Quote:
I'm still hashing that out, but definitely private space flight; that market is about to blow up. Like I said, I love fluids so I know I want to focus on aerodynamics in grad school but as far as an actual job I'm not sure. Honestly, I could see myself in a marketing/PR/sales position or managing teams on projects. I love explaining things to people and I'm not socially awkward like a lot of engineers, so marketing is an obvious choice, but I would still like to be doing actual science and solving problems too, so I'm not sure. I have plenty of time to figure that out though.
That socially awkward part is so true, I feel like the coolest guy ever sitting next to these other robots in class.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #198
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
I don't mean to bring you down or anything, but those jobs are not easy to find and/or get hired to as a BS out of college. I know you have a lot more experience than most guys who will be competing for the same jobs but it's not easy. I have an MS in fluids and there's no way I could land a job in private space flight as anything but a peon to the PhD's who run the show.

Since my last discussion on my job here, I've actually moved into a new role at my company (medical devices) where I now perform all of the fluid/heat modeling for my entire division. It's a lot of work but I fvcking love it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, you and I have similar career interests so look into fields you wouldn't normally think of for being a fluids related industry and go for that. You'll get a sh!t ton more experience and be the resident expert on staff.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 01-31-2013 at 07:38 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #199
cowmoo32
drunken science

I know, which is why I'm planning on a master's in aerospace. A BS in physics is pretty much useless in any field. And I know I won't jump right in to the big leagues, but I'm willing to put in the work to get there. Not to mention I won't be out for 4-5 years so I'm banking on there being more openings when it comes time to look for a job.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 01-31-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #200
Sneaky

My Ride: Fixie
Hoping to get OUT of engineering in the next few years, getting tired of making other people rich.

I got into engineering because I didn't want have to sell things or hustle, I just wanted to go to work and get paid. Now I'm realizing that my personality is the opposite, i'm more of a go getter. I get a % of the stuff I made at the place I work but the stress is not worth it. I hope to be working for myself in the next few years, right now im just saving money and adding revenue streams.

Sig by So Lowww
Pictures I take
OVOxo till we overdose

Last edited by Sneaky; 01-31-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote