E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #81
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
Yeah we know what your price is, Mr. Google!

I go from working on my gimbal to watching the aerospace engineer in the science thread and suddenly what i'm doing doesn't seem terribly impressive .
Man, I could get a PhD in aerospace and feel like a failure next to that guy.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #82
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
If the paper is useless compared to your work experience, why are you wasting time to finish the class then?
I've had professors, and Directors of Engineering ask me the very same question.

I'm doing it for me. For Fun. Engineering is the only line of study that equips you with enough math and science to solve the curiosity of the world around me. And honestly, all the REALLY cool high end stuff I want to do is in the MSEE program. Antenna design, wave theory, that stuff interests the hell out of me.

I mean radar...like..I'm going to beam energy at a cloud..a cloud is simply water vapor for Christ sakes..then measure the echo return and paint a map showing you what kind of cloud it is, where its moving, how fast, what its precep. type and rate is etc...pick up your cell phone and just make a phone call..its all just amazing to me.

So I'm earning my BSEE because I literally just enjoy the material. I'm not doing it for some professional advancement reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
First of all, I call shenanigans. There's no way a company would give you the opportunity to do such an elaborate project just on a whim let alone lead it or do it by yourself. This is especially true without a degree or education to back it. And where did you get the education/knowledge/experience to write papers to get published and learning stuff to speak at conferences? If some 22 year old kid came to me with a desire to single handedly design a new product, I'd laugh at him. But this is the internets so anything is fair game.

Also, there are a hell of a lot more real world experience guys out there that aren't worth a **** than the ones with papers to back their abilities.
For starters anyone can go to college. There are a lot of dumbasses out there but strangely enough in the field of Engineering, I am the exception rather than the rule. I've met 2 other people that went down the same kind of "school later" path I did, my Dad, and a field engineer for Proxim. Dude was the absolute best engineer I got to work with. It's all what you pay them, but there are all too many paper certified retards out there.

It's a long story but I'll make it short.

Parents bought a ranch, moved out there when I was 16. I was a PC gamer, needed high speed internet. I started writing mom & pop owned WISP's soliciting them to come to our area. I was in flight school at the time so I had aeronautical charts that identified all the towers in my area as places they could attach their equipment.

1 responded, I was doing PC repair for part time work in HS, they offered me a job as an installer on the weekends and after school. So Jr. and Sr. year of HS I was the guy that came to your house, installed the antenna on your roof, ran the cable etc. They eventually needed a tower climber, I got my OSHA cert and did that for them as well.

Networking simply made sense to me. Some people can run fast or play the piano, networks are like that to me. When I graduated HS the mom & pop operation had evolved to a decent small biz. As I had built most the network by hand, I became their network admin. Went and got CCNA to bolster credentials at this time. Left them and went to be a Network Admin at 19 for a Cash advance company (like ACE) for something small like $40k/yr or something. I did a few 3-6 month contracts to build up experience and resume status. Went to work for a small wireless company at this time as a Wireless Network Engineer. I designed networks for MDU's and campuses for WiFi. Did that for a year, jumped ship to a Wireless ISP at 20. Wireless network engineer there, I designed my first 150 node wireless network to cover a 4.4sq mile city in north dallas. Also got my feet wet designing WiFi in parks, convention centers, Fixed wireless networks etc etc. I was there for like 14 months,Did one more city, company went under, switched jobs to my last gig where I was for 3 years.

I came on at 21-22 and due to my experience already designing and deploying networks, they certified the hell out of me (got my CCIP and a ton of vendor certs from Microwave to fixed and mesh wireless). They brought me in to un-fawk the mess that the prior dude had created, and they found me. I gave a lecture at Interconnect about how I had redesigned the network with higher density and lower power which costed more, but better enabled a company to monetize WiFi as a product due to increased robustness (the industry is going through this right now in a different flavor). Motorola was proud as they were the vendor that won the RFP so I wrote a paper with their Engineering Director where he interviewed me and became published.

All this added up to being offered a Senior Engineering role at the 3rd largest MSO in the US at 24. Hell, I didn't even start going back to school I think till I was 20-21.

Last edited by yousharenow; 09-19-2012 at 09:43 AM.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #83
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325max View Post
Are you in a computer based industry? I don't see that happening in my industry, oil and gas processing.
Power generation. The biggest problem engineers in my field have is the inability to understand the "big-picture" because they generally only know their discipline, and the totality of a power plant eludes them.
Wraisil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #84
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Sounds like ITT Tech is the right school for you.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #85
yousharenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Sounds like ITT Tech is the right school for you.
ITT Tech and Devry pump out simply shameful guys. I've yet to work with one worth his salt.

Besides, they focus more on the operational side of things and administration rather than Engineering. Besides, I like REAL engineering and its curriculum.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #86
Mayo

My Ride: CBR600RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325max View Post
Are you in a computer based industry? I don't see that happening in my industry, oil and gas processing.

Are you in upstream/mining? I'm on the cooking side of the business.
I'm upstream, CSS recovery

Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #87
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
Power generation. The biggest problem engineers in my field have is the inability to understand the "big-picture" because they generally only know their discipline, and the totality of a power plant eludes them.
Funny you mention that. A friend of mine recently graduated from law school and said the guys that did the best in his class were engineers due to their ability to see the big picture and condense a case in no time. It guess "big picture" is all relative though.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #88
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Pre-Freshman Brain Surgeon. No weeks into classes!

Just messing with ya RPI?
Nope, I'm at Sunyit in Utica NY.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #89
yousharenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Funny you mention that. A friend of mine recently graduated from law school and said the guys that did the best in his class were engineers due to their ability to see the big picture and condense a case in no time. It guess "big picture" is all relative though.
All the engineers I work with here have no problem seeing the "big picture". You can get component level engineers that are too task oriented but engineering is problem solving, weather or not you see the size of the problem is another thing.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #90
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
I know far too many engineers who can't see the big picture and/or the end goal. The best engineers can always see the end goal as well as all of the steps to make it there the way he/she wants to do it. Just like playing chess and mapping out your moves to win.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #91
Wraisil

Quote:
"Big picture" is relative. CEs, MEs, EEs, etc all working "together" on a $3 billion plant which uses hundreds of systems working together. By far, most of the engineers I've worked with can manage to get their systems working properly and generally working correctly with other systems. Very few, however, can explain how the "whole plant" needs to be operated together. I consider myself lucky if I can get any given engineer to write a "usable" procedure to operate "their" part. Hey, I'm not really complaining about that though, if they could do it then they probably wouldn't pay me to tell them how to run the plants.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #92
Wraisil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDee View Post
Nope, I'm at Sunyit in Utica NY.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
Ah, RPI was my guess because I almost did their nuclear engineering program there when I was an instructor at the Ballston Spa prototype and I saw your location was also Saratoga.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #93
Mayo

My Ride: CBR600RR
Quote:
Those are the booksmart engineers. That's why a guy with a 2.0 and 6 months experience will get a job over a 4.0 with no experience.

Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #94
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Man, I could get a PhD in aerospace and feel like a failure next to that guy.
I feel like that's pushing it a bit far, he took the idea of an intercooler and put it to the extreme on a turbine engine. I was alluding to the fact that it's more of a pure science compared to what I'm doing. Maybe you've been staying more on top of keeping your mind sharp, but since I stopped studying physics (even though it was torture for me with the math), I've been feeling dumber.

It always comes back to this!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #95
ShootyzGruve

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
Those are the booksmart engineers. That's why a guy with a 2.0 and 6 months experience will get a job over a 4.0 with no experience.
Experience is good but I would say 6 months worth certainly wouldn't make up the difference between a 2.0 AND a 4.0.

A 2.0 is almost failing out of undergrad curriculum at most schools.

Edit: all IMHO of course.
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #96
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
I feel like that's pushing it a bit far, he took the idea of an intercooler and put it to the extreme on a turbine engine. I was alluding to the fact that it's more of a pure science compared to what I'm doing. Maybe you've been staying more on top of keeping your mind sharp, but since I stopped studying physics (even though it was torture for me with the math), I've been feeling dumber.

It always comes back to this!
I love that...

So study up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #97
yousharenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootyzGruve View Post
Experience is good but I would say 6 months worth certainly wouldn't make up the difference between a 2.0 AND a 4.0.

A 2.0 is almost failing out of undergrad curriculum at most schools.

Edit: all IMHO of course.

It does. See my earlier post about paper certified people. Having a high GPA means you are good at school, not necessarily work. I'm not very good at school, but I'm really good at work (hence I got where I am this young).

I, and many other hiring managers, will take the dude with experience all day, every day.

BTW - C's get degrees. I'll probably graduate with like a 2.75-3.25. And it will make absolutely 0 difference.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #98
daedalus34r

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
GPA is needed for that first job. Why would a 2.0GPA get hired if all his classmates are 3.0+?

That said at some point the 2.0 will get hired and some 2-4years later when switching jobs the GPA can be left off the resume and the work experience will speak for itself.
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #99
yousharenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus34r View Post
GPA is needed for that first job. Why would a 2.0GPA get hired if all his classmates are 3.0+?

That said at some point the 2.0 will get hired and some 2-4years later when switching jobs the GPA can be left off the resume and the work experience will speak for itself.
Bingo.

GPA matters only for your first job. After that, it's all experience.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #100
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
the 2.0 won't even get an interview.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote