E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #41
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I don't know which expansion tank hose you got, but if it's the one connected to hard pipe, I'd honestly say that you'd be fine just taking the o-ring and spacer out from the new hose, using them in the old hose...and then, when you're ready to get to those other hoses, just find a replacement o-ring...you'll have plenty of time for that. (If this hose goes back to the water valve, then go ahead and replace it...it's easy to do that one...or the ones going to heater core (forget which goes where).

You should spin your pulleys when belt is off...if they free spin like a skateboard, you should get to them now...both tensioner pulleys, and the idler. Very easy to do when fan is out. One bolt each. (T-50 bit needed or some hex head)

Get the IAT 0-ring for temp sensor if not replacing...as I said.

We didn't cover OE coolant and distilled...and me? I'd buy at least 6 gallons of distilled. After your work, refill with just water...run until you know you're good and leak free. Do test drives close to your home so you can get back when you get to op temp...and fix things again if needed.

Then drain that water...and if it's dirty...fill again with just distilled....drive, let cool down, then drain again.

Then fill with coolant (straight this time)...and fill up the rest with distilled. (You'll have some plain water held up in system, and if you pre-mix 50/50, you won't get it all in and that will lower your ratio a bit. In some climates it might make a small difference.

Technically our system takes 8.9 qts. so technically you need to get a gallon and 1 qt (now available) of coolant...though those two extra cups aren't going to make a huge difference...I won't tell anyone! Get as close to 50/50 as you can.

When you bleed after a full drain...pour coolant in very slowly (according to all instructions...with heater on, car off...etc...) and for this bleeding only, you'll end up pouring all the way up to the top of the ET's filler neck...coolant won't otherwise come out of the bleeder screw. You will have extra coolant/water to go in at this point...after your first drive, you might need to add another couple of cups...then maybe an ounce or two a couple of other times. Monitor level until you're stable...and check it monthly without fail (is my advice)!

GL.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #42
CarterRuss

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Get the IAT 0-ring for temp sensor if not replacing...as I said.
GL.
I am not sure what o-ring you are referring too. I asked a guy a turner and he suggested its for the intake? and said I wouldn't need to replace that (not touch). Also anyone have the part number for the engine crush washer?

Let me know thanks!

CarterRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #43
dmax

The intake air temp sensor has an o-ring that's the same size as the o-ring on the temp sensor on the lower radiator hose.

This o-ring often leaks and if replacing the hose, you should replace this o-ring...for some reason, it's not listed as a separate part for the temp sensor, but we know the IAT o-ring fits.

See jfoj's sig for PN for that.

Realoem for crush washer PN, but I'll see if I can help with that...brb

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...66&hg=11&fg=10

05 Gasket ring A14X18-AL 1 07119963200 $0.38

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 09-20-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #44
CarterRuss

So just an update, started yesterday....and that's all I got, no kidding I removed upper rad hose, exp tank and all the pre-fan removal process but the damn fan halted my progress. I tried the screw driver, and hammer methods but it didn't work (maybe it has never been removed, idk) but in short I ordered the special tool, new o-ring, (part # 13621743299 from what I read) and a trans thermo. But it all seems like once I get that off I should be fine.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #45
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Did not need special tool. Adjustable wrench that goes to 32mm+, and a screwdriver. Remove airbox first.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #46
CarterRuss

I know, I read and youtube'd several different ways but non of them worked for me. Granted I could have been doing it wrong

Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #47
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
just takes practice. one time i'll do a vid on this as well as bleeding.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #48
CarterRuss

Replaced everything, and seems I have a leak but can't find it. Nothing that I replace is leaking but there is coolant dripping out of the oil panel

Old 09-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #49
dmax

Not sure what the oil panel is...you mean the underskirt? Aggregate Protective Plate?

If so, you have to remove it and find the leak. Since everything is new, should be easy to figure out.

If you replaced your radiator, what brand did you get? If it has a leveling screw, you might have the wrong one in. If it's Behr, it might be the wrong radiator entirely.

But, it could simply be a hose that didn't snap on all the way. Lubricate with coolant to make it slide on easier.

GL...hunt it down! You really need to.

A recent set

Old 09-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #50
CarterRuss

The oil access panel, by the drain plug. I think the upper rad hose wasn't locked in all the way. And when I set the ET down I never heard a click or anything? should I have, I tried to press as hard as I could without trying to break something. But then again not sure how coolant dripped back so far...

The radiator is a behr but I didn't replace that...why is it the wrong kind?

Old 09-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #51
dmax

No, behr is good...it's what I have...but if you ever need a new radiator, you'll need to specify auto or manual transmission...that's all.

Guys have gotten the wrong ones, but what you had should be fine...until it also breaks! Could be many years...though it could be next month...IDK. Mine went 185K miles.

IDK if ET clicks, but the clip should click. Don't break anything...maybe find a nice hot woman to help you by holding the top while you push up from the bottom...or vice versa! That actually sounds like a great idea whether you need to do this or not!

Do you have a good led flashlight? I love my xl50 maglite from HD...$30. I sleep with it sometimes I love it so much!

You know it has a setting where you can make someone nauseous if they stare at it?

A recent set

Old 09-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #52
CarterRuss

Gotcha. It was replaced 10k ago.

I tried to pull the ET up but it was locked into place it felt like. I reattached the upper hose, re-bled the system and the car runs without overheating for at least the 5 minutes it was on. So in that regards I am happy. I did start hearing a weird clicking/ticking now but that could be that I haven't heard my girl run in over a week.

The leak seems to be leaking down from the steering rack area and I haven't found any signs of a source. I am hoping that it is excess water/coolant that I spilled while filling up but somehow feel that isn't the case.

I do need a flashlight though, lost my mag awhile ago.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #53
dmax

I won't guess where the leak is...get underneath if you need to and find it. If you don't have a way to get under safely, the drive onto a nearby curb...unless you're lowered or huge you should have enough room to slide under and have a look.

Rayovac also makes a nice 100 lumen headlamp I use a bit too...and it's only $15...but led makes a big difference in seeing stuff in the car for some reason!

A recent set

Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #54
CarterRuss

Haha I can jack the car up and get under it but I can't see where it's coming from almost seems like from the back of the engine. What are signs of a warped head? Hoping that its not.

I run the car and it runs fine for a minute or so then it starts running strange, the RPMs fluctuate and I hear a strange almost light ticking

Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #55
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterRuss View Post
So quick background. Driving home from work last night I was on an off ramp and heard what sounded like a pop sort of from my rear ended (I think) and I looked down at my dash and realized the temp was in the red. So immediately pulled over and shut the car off. A month ago, I was told by a shop that I needed to replace a faulty thermostat and last week I noticed a sort of burning smell after an hour commute (self diagnosed it to be needing to replace the VCG). So this morning I noticed what looked like burnt oil on near what looked like a heat shield near the valve cover. Also checked and I had no coolant in the tank.

Would the faulty temp assembly and bad VCG cause the overheat and combine to deplete my coolant?

Also, I am faced with trying to repair, for the VCG and thermostat assembly it seems to be roughly $100 for the parts vs going to a shop and paying close to $600.

Thoughts help and opinions are appreciated. And no need to call me stupid for not fixing the issues immediately, I realize that and kicked myself all last night for it. fuqqq
How long have you had the car? Based on this, it doesn't sound like the potential was there for a head to warp, but we don't know the history of the car previously.

Signs of a head gasket/head issue? Oil in coolant, or coolant in oil, or coolant into cylinders causing a sputtering when you start the car (that's what I had in my e36).

There are a variety of ways the cylinder head can crack.

You can check for hydrocarbons in coolant too.

Right now, though, I think you're getting ahead of yourself.

Use a good led flashlight and make sure you don't just have a leak from the visible part of the system. Remove air box and look at the hose connections on the hard pipes...use inspection mirror...it could be hard pipes where they meet the head. A royal pitb if it's that as the intake mani needs to come off...but I survived doing that...sort of! Had a real mechanic guiding and helping me! But there are enough diys on it to make it doable.

Don't panic quite yet! Work up from the basics and most likely...which is just that you missed something simple.

A recent set

Old 09-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #56
CarterRuss

Not sure what it was but when I popped the rad hoses off, there was a n almost gasoline like residue inside the upper hose, almost like a dried bacon grease substance....oil?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #57
tehcbass

My Ride: bmw e46 323i
Send a message via Skype™ to tehcbass
Dude dont make the whole car black lol pleeeassseeee jkjk

Long Nights and Sandy Beaches
tehcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #58
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterRuss View Post
Not sure what it was but when I popped the rad hoses off, there was a n almost gasoline like residue inside the upper hose, almost like a dried bacon grease substance....oil?
You didn't replace the hoses or did you?

Dried bacon grease substance doesn't sound so great, though if you didn't change the hose, that could just be 10 years of accumulated crap from god knows what...but it doesn't sound so great!

The trans cooler can crack and get trans fluid into system. You haven't had trans codes issues, have you?

Sometimes previous owners add stuff to hide leaks before they sell the car...IDK.

Is this the hose that was leaking...or you still hunting the leaking source and just mentioned this as a 'note' from the recent work?

A recent set

Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #59
CarterRuss

Quote:
You didn't replace the hoses or did you?
I replaced both upper and lower hoses. Both those have solid seals no leaks. Neither does the thermo or and sensors on the hoses.

Quote:
Dried bacon grease substance doesn't sound so great, though if you didn't change the hose, that could just be 10 years of accumulated crap from god knows what...but it doesn't sound so great!
No that definitely doesn't sound good and I am hoping it is just 10 years of something that won't return with the new parts.
Quote:
The trans cooler can crack and get trans fluid into system. You haven't had trans codes issues, have you?

Is this the hose that was leaking...or you still hunting the leaking source and just mentioned this as a 'note' from the recent work?
No trans codes but I haven't checked since the overheat. I am still searching for the leak, my coolant level hasn't dropped since I filled it and it dropped about an hour afterwards.

I did notice that as I was letting the car run and listen for strange noises that my exhaust was letting out a lot of white smoke...note that I do know that I need a new valve cover gasket...

Last edited by CarterRuss; 10-01-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added info
Old 10-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #60
CarterRuss

So I ended up having the car towed to a shop locally that deals with foreign cars. Guy did some pressure tests and could find NO LEAKS, hooray. So now sure what looked like it was leaking but I am going to keep and eye on it. Fingers crossed that the white exhaust was truly condensation. Thank you all for the help, much appreciated, mango and dmax if your ever on the north shore of Mass, beer on me.

Next up VCG and spark plugs while I'm in there.