E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
stevetx77

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325I
Fast Blinker Help

I researched several post on this subject and thought I would let everyone know what I found with my rapid blinker troubles on my 2001 325I. My left blinker had a mind of its own and would rapid blink when it felt like it. On previous cars I've owned(non BMW) when you get a rapid blinker it means you have a bulb out. Not the case on a BMW from what I've read here. All of the left side bulbs were working but just to exclude them from the equation I replaced them all. The problem still existed. I removed the new bulbs and cleaned all the contacts on the bulbs and their housings, still had the rapid blink problem. I poked around a little more and decided to disconnect the molex plug that plugs into the rear tail light housing(remove the panel inside the trunk where the lights plug in) I believe it has 5 or 6 wires total. Once you disconnect the plug from the panel you will see the terminals are numbered. On terminal # 4 (gold/beige wire) I had some corrosion! I cleaned off the corrosion on both the terminal crimped onto the gold/beige wire and the terminal inside the light housing. I've been driving it around all day and it seems like the problem is fixed! I hope this may help someone fix the same problem or at least give them a starting point to troubleshoot.
stevetx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
jmueller

My Ride: 2001 330ci
i have this god awful problem.. im going to try this tonight, i feel like an idiot putting the blinker on because of this problem
Old 05-31-2007, 11:33 PM   #3
stevetx77

I did too! Nice German car and a crappy blinker don't mix well in my book. Let me know how it works out for you!
Old 05-31-2007, 11:55 PM   #4
az-03-325xi

My Ride: 3 guesses...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=472357

Look & sound familiar
az-03-325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:47 AM   #5
numba1guju

My Ride: 2013 328i
Send a message via AIM to numba1guju
i think i let my corrosion go over too long, my ground wire to my left tail light was fried when i opened it, the entire plastic plug thing is melted and the pin connected to the ground wire melted, its completely gone

2002 325i: Black/Black
Mods: Clears, VM V715 Matte Black 19in staggered, 20% tint all around, Suspension Technique Coilovers, p46s 6000k w/ aurora 60LED
numba1guju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:53 AM   #6
whosechariot727

My Ride: 2001 325i
Send a message via AIM to whosechariot727
Wow I never thought anyone else had this problem. Thank You sooooo much.
CF Csl Trunk
Tinted Tails
4300k P46's
20% Tint

whosechariot727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
stevetx77

After reading those 2 links it looks like this is an extremely common problem! Looks like all of our stuff was either corroded or burnt up! I researched several post but not all of them. Thanks for the links!
Old 06-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
jmueller

My Ride: 2001 330ci
acctually that was not my problem.. well i have an 01 coupe so maybe my connector looks a little different, but myn was a flat connector that had corrosion inside the connectors ( female side, from ecu ) put a screw driver with some steel wool in there and brushed around, blinker problem fixed
Old 07-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #9
nite-stalker

My Ride: 325Ci
bumping this up for the next guy, this certainly fixed my fast blinker problem. ground terminal in the rear right connector was corroding. cleaned it up and works fine now.
nite-stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Polish_328Ci

My Ride: M3
I had the same problem, it was so annoying, but I recently installed LED tails and the problem went away
Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #11
Bruce10501

My Ride: BMW 2001 325I Sedan
Fast Blinker Problem Fixed!

Wow! I suffered w/ this problem for 6 months. I was afraid to mention it to the dealership, as it would have most likely resulted in the usual $600 extorsion. I cleaned off the #3 & #4 wire contacts on the tail lights, (takes about 2 minutes), and this issue is totally resolved.
Thanks again for sharing this information.
Bruce10501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
highpoint7

My Ride: 2001 330 Cic
I know this is a rather old thread but I found it due to having the same problem with my 2001 330Ci convertible on the left turn blinker. It starts out fast and then it goes to normal. If I turn the blinker off and then start it again, it is normal. Then after awhile, if I use the blinker again, it does the same, fast to normal. I have low milage on my car just reaching 50K. I took the Molex plug out of the light terminal and my #4 housing looked alittle darker on the plug housing where the numbers are shown but the opening is too small to get anything in there to clean it out. I tried to take a safety pin and poke in there to clean it alittle but it didnt have any effect. Now, there is a white piece that looks like it can be removed on the side of the plug and it looks like it would open the plug further and show where the wires are connected to the plug itself. Is that true and can I take that off? It also looks like it would help hold the plug into the light terminal. Not sure here. Help?
highpoint7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #13
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
My 2001 330Ci coupe does this with the right blinker. If it blinks fast continuously, I just hit the brake pedal to light up the brake lights and it will quit.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
highpoint7

My Ride: 2001 330 Cic
Ill try that for a temp fix but it is like what someone else said about a similar problem and fixed it. "The ultimate driving machine shouldnt be doing annoying things like that."

Others have hit on a corrosion problem with these back blinkers that happen over time. It is an electrical issue that BMW decided not to address w/ a recall. I want to fix mine w/o taking it into a shop and spending money on something that seems so simple to fix.
highpoint7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Guys, check for corrosion on the socket, that's what caused it for me. Also, sometimes the solder on the base of the bulb itself gets worn and no longer makes a good connection. If you have corrosion, scrape on it a little bit with a piece of sandpaper or file. If it is the bulb, get a new one. The sockets are cheap too if they are shot.

NicB.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
vtmichael1

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Easy fix

This is an easy fix, simply splice into the ground wire and wire it to the metal frame of the housing. That is what I did. If you remove the connector you can see where the burnt up connection is.
vtmichael1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #17
Mick205

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325xi
Glad I found these posts...my left signal flasher was blinking very fast for several seconds then would return to normal....all the bulbs were good....went out in the garage, popped the trunk lid on my 2001 325, pulled the light assembly, and pulled the pin connector block apart. Yep.....#4 was all corroded. Used some emory cloth and electrical contact cleaner and the turn signal now works fine.
Mick205 is offline   Reply With Quote