E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #21
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
OK great will let you know
Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46dude93 View Post
19 year old here. not molesting my car like the other ricecakes in my college parking lot. maintenance is #1 in my mind! and a thanks to mango and dmax and everyone else steering me in the right direction. but even i can appreciate someone like mango putting this info out there. thanks for the write up!
I can appreciate that, i'm 15 myself.

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar255 View Post
I can appreciate that, i'm 15 myself.
Did you seriously join this forum as a 13 year old? And you can't even drive wtf are you doing here

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #24
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
Did you seriously join this forum as a 13 year old? And you can't even drive wtf are you doing here
Yes, 13, had originally joined for info on replacing a CPS 2 years later i'm here.

I'm enjoying my e46 just like everyone else, learning, maintaining, cleanly modding, and soon will be manufacturing parts. (quite excited about that, just tested my homemade vacuum forming machine and will be making parts out of petg and carbon fiber) click the sig link for more info.

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #25
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I was unable to remove the position sensor as it has a 5-sided security torx bit. All my bits are 6-sided. I doubt anything is wrong with it anyway I just wanted to have a peak inside.
Come on now!!!!! PEEK. I expect more from you.

Edit: I've read about this so-called strange area of the RPM band on 330's. However, on my 2001, I do not have any such lag or jerk or whatever it is anywhere across the RPM band. Just a F'n annoying wa wa wa wa wa noise that I can't diagnose!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #26
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Quote:
Thanks five and serdar and whoever else. Yeah for sure I'll let you guys know if i track it down. it's just as you described, nick. i can prevent the kick from happening if i throttle slowly and gradually. but if i try to take off semi-aggressively, no bueno.
I've been following some of these threads despite not experiencing the issue myself.

I'm just wondering - do you still get the same behavior if DSC is disabled?
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #27
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
I've been following some of these threads despite not experiencing the issue myself.

I'm just wondering - do you still get the same behavior if DSC is disabled?
Since you're a nice guy, I'll answer.

I've answered/discussed this numerous times, yes. it has absolutely nothing to do with DSC and is nowhere near DSC threshold. Talking normal take-offs getting groceries, going to DMAX's comedy gigs, etc. Normal driving.

I'm not worried or complaining or giving it too much thought. It's not a big deal, just slightly annoying to deal with.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
This is interesting info, thanks for posting. Just so I'm clear... you weren't able to remove the "switch", so you're not sure if taking it out will change the kickdown? Cityjohn, if you buy the pedal, I'd be real curious to hear what happens if you remove that "switch".

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #29
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
This is interesting info, thanks for posting. Just so I'm clear... you weren't able to remove the "switch", so you're not sure if taking it out will change the kickdown? Cityjohn, if you buy the pedal, I'd be real curious to hear what happens if you remove that "switch".
Huh? No. I did remove the switch. I drive a manual. No kickdown for me. That's why I removed the switch cause I don't need it.

My 2002 manual pedal is for sale. i'll throw in the switch if someone needs it. if not, i'll chuck it in the ocean or feed it to a squirrel.

switch is just a clicker. does nothing but makes noise

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #30
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Crazy thought...which I'm making up for you...see if you can turn it into a non-crazy thought...and don't yell at me!

02 sensors when bad seem to trigger a signal with a straight climb up, as opposed to a slanted signal increase...I think that's right...maybe the opposite.

I'd guess 02 sensors might trigger a jump, a kick forward from more gas being called for all of a sudden...

Something like that. I'm sure you have newish 02 sensors, but maybe other sensors are giving a dicey signal that's triggering ecu to give it a kick of gas. When AC comes on...I know the idle increases...all this happening without AC?

If that doesn't work, just replace your cooling system to relax you and channel your car's ailments. Have you been doing your readings of Bentley everyday?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #31
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Crazy thought...which I'm making up for you...see if you can turn it into a non-crazy thought...and don't yell at me!

02 sensors when bad seem to trigger a signal with a straight climb up, as opposed to a slanted signal increase...I think that's right...maybe the opposite.

I'd guess 02 sensors might trigger a jump, a kick forward from more gas being called for all of a sudden...

Something like that. I'm sure you have newish 02 sensors, but maybe other sensors are giving a dicey signal that's triggering ecu to give it a kick of gas. When AC comes on...I know the idle increases...all this happening without AC?

If that doesn't work, just replace your cooling system to relax you and channel your car's ailments. Have you been doing your readings of Bentley everyday?
ac doesn't play a role. i'm going to unplug my maf and try again (i thought i did this before but not 100% sure)

like i said i have a new throttle body coming. im also thinking about the golf-t mod... anyone know if the flap in the exhaust is in any way wired to the DME? I highly doubt the flap opening or closing would require timing or fuel changes.

whatever change is happening, it's happening at around 2,500 rpms upon increasing throttle input (will not happen if throttle is steady)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #32
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Have you considered some problem/stickiness in the actuation of the VANOS? I would also inspect engine/trans mounts, guibo, etc.

I do not think fuel metering (ie. bad O2 as dmax suggested) would create a jerk--more likely a change in timing.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #33
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Have you considered some problem/stickiness in the actuation of the VANOS? I would also inspect engine/trans mounts, guibo, etc.

I do not think fuel metering (ie. bad O2 as dmax suggested) would create a jerk--more likely a change in timing.
I don't want this thread to turn into a troubleshooting thread. This has been hashed out/discussed numerous times already. The end result is always the same.

No matter what you say or can think of, it's been done. Sometimes twice. The entire car is pretty much brand new front to back. you guys know me!

This is something I'm privately troubleshooting and investigating. I highly highly HIGHLY doubt anyone can come up with a workable solution. This is just something I have to handle on my own (which I am)

I appreciate the help though. I can manage.

I'll handle it on my own unless I need specific specific help--detailed knowledge on something extremely specific.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #34
Mango
A full five stars, son

Also there's a handful of people out there experiencing the same thing on their manual 330s. So obviously if I find a solution, I'll let the community know.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #35
patdown

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Ci
I also have a sudden "kick" in acceleration around 3100-3300 RPM. I didn't notice this until I got in on the AA group buy last year. It's almost like the car is coming onto the cam or the secondaries kick in on a carb'd engine. I'm not really complaining about it, just curious.

I asked AA about this issue but never got a response.

2005 330Ci ZHP 6MT
AA Tune, domestically engineered CAI w/aFe Pro S, UUC TSE3,
Cooling Sys ovhl with Stewart WP, BMW M3 Front Strut Brace,
Koni FSD struts/shocks with original springs,
Cryo-Stop Rotors, Akebono Euro Ceramic pads, SS Brake/Clutch lines, CDV Delete,
Mason Engineering clutch pedal, Umnitza Predator Orion AE's, smoked corners and sides,
VMR V710 18" Staggered w/Hankook Ventus V12 235's/FR and 265's/RR
patdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #36
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by patdown View Post
I also have a sudden "kick" in acceleration around 3100-3300 RPM. I didn't notice this until I got in on the AA group buy last year. It's almost like the car is coming onto the cam or the secondaries kick in on a carb'd engine. I'm not really complaining about it, just curious.

I asked AA about this issue but never got a response.
Was this as a result of AA? (tune i'm assuming) or did it do it before?

This may not be the same problem as i am talking about.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #37
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Quote:
Huh? No. I did remove the switch. I drive a manual. No kickdown for me. That's why I removed the switch cause I don't need it.

My 2002 manual pedal is for sale. i'll throw in the switch if someone needs it. if not, i'll chuck it in the ocean or feed it to a squirrel.

switch is just a clicker. does nothing but makes noise
OK, thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #38
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
OK, thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood.
No problem. Part of the reason I made this thread is because over the years I feel there was a misconception that there's an actual switch that electronically activates kickdown. people go NOOO DONT USE A MANUAL PEDAL OR ELSE U WONT DOWNSHIFTING!

Wrong! it's just a clicker. we all know that the kickdown "switch" isn't a switch at all. but just a clicker. like something you train dogs with.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #39
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Mango, does the throttle response feel different otherwise? Every auto BMW I've driven revs much more freely in neutral than the manual equivalents. I don't really understand why since the DME software is the same. I thought maybe the potentiometers in the pedal might be mapped differently
Old 09-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #40
Mango
A full five stars, son

you bring up a valid point. it feels exact the same as before.. i think these "potentiometers" (I put that in quotes cause I honestly don't know how they work or are set up) are detachable by two torx screws. ill try to check it out. maybe they can be swapped?

now you've got me worried... car seems fine though!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS