E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Making some big changes!

Hey guys,

-I'm 5'10, 150 lbs.
-Low blood pressure, very low cholesterol, perfect check-up data, no doctors ever worried about me.
-Been athletic my whole life, and very good at the sports I did play.

I'd say I'm in great cardio shape, I ran all summer with my girlfriend while she trained for xc. Just simply never lifted... I have now completely changed my diet to exclude soda, junk food, and went really high in protein, vegetables, milk and dairy intake, and good quality meats. I started a 1 day on 1 day off workout routine to test the waters of my college schedule and see how it fit in, but now I feel like I have time to increase it to 5 days a week.

I do have a workout routine, but I am asking for some assistance and input from you guys as to how to improve it for better results. Right now I'm trying to do low reps and high weight to get some size before I try to lean it out. Because I have no fat or anthying like that, I feel like any gains I get will be easily noticed. Which motivates me a good amount. I'm one month into my routine, and I have noticed subtle changes in physique, but more drastic differences in overall well being. My acne went away, sleep has become better, I feel better overall, less stressed out, more motivated to do well in school. I'm going to basic next summer, so I want to be in amazing shape by then.

Day 1: chest and tri's
Day 2: back and bis
Day 3: Shoulders

Looking for a way to maybe break this into 5 days. Maybe include a day 5 workout that is like an overall workout of everything, like the 300 workout routine from the movie, just a thought.

Thanks guys! I'll keep my progress updated.

Last edited by bostonsc4; 09-20-2012 at 04:39 PM.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Need some legs in there

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

Old 09-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Need some legs in there
It astonishes me how often legs are not included in the split.

OP, we need pics as well. Post 'em up!
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
bostonsc4

Here is my progress after one month of this new routine. Second picture I'm not flexing just tense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1348177337.924587.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	470164  
Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
Here is my progress after one month of this new routine. Second picture I'm not flexing just tense.
Noticeable improvement, especially around your waistline. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
bostonsc4

Quote:
Edit: The reason I don't have legs incorporated right now is because of my knees. I'm recovering from patella tendinitis in my left knee, and my right knee I had scope surgery done, and I haven't yet pushed it. Not that I had bad knees, I actually want to start trying to incorporate legs. Maybe I'll include that in my 5 day split I'm trying to come up with.

Last edited by bostonsc4; 09-20-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
M3Inline6

Quote:
Edit: The reason I don't have legs incorporated right now is because of my knees. I'm recovering from patella tendinitis in my left knee, and my right knee I had scope surgery done almost 8 years ago, and I haven't yet pushed it. Not that I had bad knees, I actually want to start trying to incorporate legs. Maybe I'll include that in my 5 day split I'm trying to come up with.
Ah okay! Take it easy and incorporate them slowly.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
bostonsc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Noticeable improvement, especially around your waistline. Keep up the good work.
Thank you. Seeing any little bit of progress just makes me more motivated.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Work legs you jerk. I say this because I love you.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
Hockeyman17

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
I'm starting to train legs again after suffering patellar tendinitis. Definitely avoid squats until the pain subsides otherwise you are irritating the injury. I tried to ignore the pain in the early stages of the injury and made it worse. Recently I have been able to start adding weight without pain, just minor discomfort. It took me about 3 months to heal and its still not 100%. I just hope It doesn't get worse again.
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
bostonsc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 View Post
I'm starting to train legs again after suffering patellar tendinitis. Definitely avoid squats until the pain subsides otherwise you are irritating the injury. I tried to ignore the pain in the early stages of the injury and made it worse. Recently I have been able to start adding weight without pain, just minor discomfort. It took me about 3 months to heal and its still not 100%. I just hope It doesn't get worse again.
Yeah man that sounds rough... Isn't it literally the worst pain in the world? Feels like your knee is going to snap in half. This week I'll start my 5 day split which will include legs in it. I'll report back and see how it feels.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
bostonsc4

Fellas, I'm currently at 5 months of lifting to date. I'm not at 5-6 days a week, and love it. I'm now officially in the Air Force, so this motivates me every day to get ready to crush it at basic. I want a 100% on the PT test. Here are the goals I have for myself:

Pullups: 15 uninterupted (currently at about 11)
1.5 mile run: <8 min (Currently at 9:50)
Weight: 160+ (currently 155 and change)

I've gained 5-6 pounds in 5 months. Something tells me I'm not eating enough. My strength is my biggest improvement, with a good amount of definition. I'm nearing right where I want to be, which is the best shape of my life thus far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Progress.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	486214  

Last edited by bostonsc4; 01-15-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
8 min 1 1/2 mile? Holy crap!
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
8 min 1 1/2 mile? Holy crap!
No ****!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Glight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #16
bostonsc4

The only thing is that if I pursue the running as much as I will be, I'll probably lose some of the size I've put on in the past 5 months. But it will be worth it. Thoughts of special forces in the Air Force is kind of looming over my head and won't go away.