E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
front strut reinforcement from top?

is there such thing as a front strut reinforcement from the top other then strut brace?? like i sped the rear?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
dawnpatrol53
Banned User

My Ride: 2004 330ci
There are strut reinforcement plates that go in between the strut hat and the strut tower but I've never heard of anything that sits on the tower. These things...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-32...ates-pair.aspx

Last edited by dawnpatrol53; 10-11-2012 at 08:50 PM.
dawnpatrol53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
pawelgawel

im aware of that style, but this raises your front slightly and many guys who put on HR kits don't get the actual drop.

Im curious if anyone ever fabricated a set for the top of the tower... it would be just like a strut brace without the bar.

maybe like in the rear.. it would be a ring that ties onto the mount to transfer the stress evenly?

Last edited by pawelgawel; 10-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
dawnpatrol53
Banned User

My Ride: 2004 330ci
The amount that those are going to raise your car is so negligible that nobody is going to be able to notice. Good luck with your search though.
dawnpatrol53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
pawelgawel

Just thinking about this, it would be an easier way of reinforcement without taking the entire strut out. For those guys who had their suspension done without the plates, this would save time and money for realignments... i don't know.. just killing time at work

Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
MntnTwisties

My Ride: 04 325i
I think the whole idea is to protect and reinforce the oem metal.I dont think there would be as much reinforcing from the top. and you would have to be some kind of ocd nightmare to notice the difference that plate will make if you put it where it belongs.
MntnTwisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Why would you be concerned about the integrity of the strut towers, but against to a strut bar?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
The strut reinforcement plates installed from underneath protect the tower from mushrooming.

What exactly are you trying to protect from the top? I honestly think the RSM Z3 bracket you're talking about does nothing.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
pawelgawel

the RMS plate does help. plenty of guys had theire towers rip through. the plate will spread the tension throughout in stead of the middle portion.

The turner front plates gives additional thickness to the entire tower and spreads the tension throughout the entire surface. i realize that coming from the top, it wouldn't give that additional thickness but it would still provide some strength against mushrooming.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
I'd imagine the RMS reinforcement does help because the bolts don't tighten directly to the sheet-metal, and offer a larger contact surface.

In the front, the bolts for the strut mount are used for alignment, so I'd be doubtful such a product exists (although post up if you do find it!)
Also from my experience, the front reinforcement plates will add no noteworthy height. They are about 2-3mm thick.

Good excuse to purchase a strut bar??
Old 10-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
euG!

My Ride: ZHP SALOON
Send a message via AIM to euG!
If you're trying to reinforce it from the top go with a strut bar like the M3's. It's a complete circle and helps to distribute and transfer weight off of the 3 tower bolts and onto the strut bar mount.

'04 330i ZHP
TiAg/Alcantara
3.46/APEX/KONI/COBY/JAFFSTER
euG! is offline   Reply With Quote