E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Dr Dyme

My Ride: E46 2JZGTE
Installed 2JZ engine, few questions on brakes, etc

Greetings all.

First and foremost - this community has been an awesome source of knowledge and such a large collection of wisdom . It's been a massive help for a long time now. Thanks!

inb4 gO READ STICKIES.

I have a few questions about something most purists will think of as blasphemy, sacrilege etc etc etc, bla. If you don't like it, well..

anyways.

I bought an e46 318ci 4 years ago, did some minor mods (wheels,tyres, bumper,lights) . Recently found out it had some major accident damage before it was sold to me ..all repaired though. I replaced all the major senseors (gb,maf,cooling coil etc) when i got the car. Had lotsa lotsa dash light popups, which were solved with sizeable amounts of cash.

One day, i just realized that the engine was taking up too much of my time, and the performance wasnt worth it. I wanted a stickshift, and power to get out of tight spots - a full on bmw engine conversion was way too expensive, and we dont have GM small block V8s here.

SO I DROPPED IN A 2JZGTE.

with an R154 5spm MT.

besides the lifetime bits (water pump,plugs,fuel pump,clutch ) and some mods (silicone,SILICONE EVERYWHERE!, fuel pressure gauge, turbo timer ,(stolen) boost gauge (damned thieves),coilovers) the car hasnt given me issues.

well..except the time a friend tried to launch it from 6000 rpm and the right axle sheared off.. it's been a great daily driver, and also satisfies my 0-60 cravings every once in a while.

Yes, i do push the tail out on secluded empty U turns.

Right, anyways.

my questions are these :

1) [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]BRAKES[/COLOR]
i need brakes (discs,calipers, pumps) which will be able to hold up about 350 whp ..thing is , its still a 318ci .
what are my options, besides custom fabrication etc? I know a 330's rear wont go in coz of the brake shoe size diff.
which other bmw brake pumps / brakes will work for me?

2)[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]LSD[/COLOR]
what can I do? what can go in? please explain rear subframe too. will an M3 rear subframe go in?

3)[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]axles[/COLOR]
can i get the e46 M3 / 330ci axels in? (axels = bits coming out of diff that spins yer wheels.. we call em driveshafts over here)

Thanks in advance for all your forthcoming answers.

Last edited by Solidjake; 09-23-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Dr Dyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
Sub'd

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Pics!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Dr Dyme

engine shot is somewhere in december, before xmas, to prove she was running fine. a lot's been done since.

second pic is her a week back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2jzE46after2.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	470377   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120910_201640.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	470378  
Old 09-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM

Dammit, now I want to pick up a 323 and do the same thing!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
KrasivataSabine

Wasn't sure if this was a troll thread or not. I'm sorry I ever doubted you, that's a serious swap

#BattleBimmer #323RS
Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Dr Dyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post

DO IT ! But the mod bug quickly gets out of hand it's really cheap to mod up to 500 whp on STOCK engine internals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrasivataSabine View Post
Wasn't sure if this was a troll thread or not. I'm sorry I ever doubted you, that's a serious swap
No worries chief. There are a few running around. Patrick Weismann has one onhttp://************.com/2010/07/car_...6_bmw_drifter/ , and there's a guy in Florida who's also done it to his 328.

Last edited by Dr Dyme; 09-22-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Dr Dyme

S pee d hunt ers in there
Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
Minnetonka

My Ride: 03 330CI
First off, Im assuming the 318ci is the same body as all the other CIs?

Brakes: I would think you could change out the 330 brakes by changing everything on the wheel hub. Not sure since i have the 330 and never looked into it. (love me them brakes!)

Diff: There are LSD options out there but for $$$$. Not cheap. A M3 Diff does not direct swap but im not sure about the subframe.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...ferential.aspx

Axel: the shafts are different part numbers but dont know if they swap out. If the M3 Sub-frame does fit then just do a whole rear end swap if not do a swap from a 330CI and you at least get the bigger brakes and shafts.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
KrasivataSabine

Oh, and as for the subframe itself (the actual metal of the chassis) you MUST reinforce it. E46s are notorious for cracking subframes even with smaller engines under DD loads. If you're chucking 350 whp at the back, you'll need to strengthen yours. Good luck, I'm looking forward to this build A LOT

#BattleBimmer #323RS
Old 09-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
Dr Dyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonka View Post

Brakes: I would think you could change out the 330 brakes by changing everything on the wheel hub. Not sure since i have the 330 and never looked into it. (love me them brakes!)

Diff: There are LSD options out there but for $$$$. Not cheap. A M3 Diff does not direct swap but im not sure about the subframe.

Axel: the shafts are different part numbers but dont know if they swap out. If the M3 Sub-frame does fit then just do a whole rear end swap if not do a swap from a 330CI and you at least get the bigger brakes and shafts.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Os Giken is available in Malaysia. Lotsa European and American companies refuse to ship to southeast asia due to fraud and scams. sigh.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Dr Dyme

Quote:
Oh, and as for the subframe itself (the actual metal of the chassis) you MUST reinforce it. E46s are notorious for cracking subframes even with smaller engines under DD loads. If you're chucking 350 whp at the back, you'll need to strengthen yours. Good luck, I'm looking forward to this build A LOT
Thanks mate. Since the car's been sent to the shop, i'll ask my mech to go source one and start the strengthening. We nearly got a toyota 4pot front on there the other day (330mm) but the knuckles weren't doable. oh well.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
ImolaSix

My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
This is awesome!

Please tell me you left the 318Ci badge on?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
Dr Dyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaSix View Post
This is awesome!

Please tell me you left the 318Ci badge on?
Unfortunately, it was debadged before I acquired the car. That woulda made her the ultimate sleeper.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonka View Post

I think 330 rear brakes would require the trailing arms to be swapped
Old 09-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
JasonSmithed

My Ride: 00 323i
supra motor? where dey do dat at?
Old 09-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
First off, really cool swap! Not something you see every day, that's for sure.

1. I would just do 330 front brakes, or better yet a good 'ol fashioned BBK. Stoptech, Brembo, etc.
2. Reinforcing is a good idea, and OS Giken or Quiafe is a safe bet. You're going to spend some $$ here, not that it presents an issue.
3. Have you been breaking or twisting yours? I would expect the driveshaft to go first on these cars.

A complete M3 rear end might not be a bad option, but you're still stuck with a relatively poor viscous LSD, and you have to swap everything. You'd end up with big brakes on the rear, though, lol. Probably need a custom driveshaft on a 318ci, too. There is some info in this thread.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post

1. I would just do 330 front brakes, or better yet a good 'ol fashioned BBK. Stoptech, Brembo, etc.
2. Reinforcing is a good idea, and OS Giken or Quiafe is a safe bet. You're going to spend some $$ here, not that it presents an issue.
3. Have you been breaking or twisting yours? I would expect the driveshaft to go first on these cars.

A complete M3 rear end might not be a bad option, but you're still stuck with a relatively poor viscous LSD, and you have to swap everything. You'd end up with big brakes on the rear, though, lol. Probably need a custom driveshaft on a 318ci, too. There is some info in this thread.

M3 LSD is a multiclutch unit, not a viscous coupling. What you're thinking of is the shear pump which controls how strongly the clutches lockup. It builds up more pressure the greater the difference in wheel speed is. In an extreme enough situation, the M-differential can achieve 100% lock.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 09-22-2012 at 03:22 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #19
Dr Dyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSmithed View Post
supra motor? where dey do dat at?
Done in Malaysia, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post

Thanks for the pointers, chief. Driveshaft isn't an issue. Will get a better custom bit done further on when the subframe is done. Hmm. Whatcha think about a reinforced 330 subframe and a quaife or wavetrac lsd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
M3 LSD is a multiclutch unit, not a viscous coupling. What you're thinking of is the shear pump which controls how strongly the clutches lockup. It builds up more pressure the greater the difference in wheel speed is. In an extreme enough situation, the M-differential can achieve 100% lock.
Turner motorsports claim there's a viscous element to the m diff..this is probably what they meant..still..a bit overpriced, M..
Old 09-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #20
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dyme View Post
Done in Malaysia, mate.

Thanks for the pointers, chief. Driveshaft isn't an issue. Will get a better custom bit done further on when the subframe is done. Hmm. Whatcha think about a reinforced 330 subframe and a quaife or wavetrac lsd?

Turner motorsports claim there's a viscous element to the m diff..this is probably what they meant..still..a bit overpriced, M..
Brand new it will of course be expensive - it is a BMW part afterall. But you should be able to get an entire M3 rear end pretty cheap from a wrecked car. That would also enable you to put in M3 rear brakes at the same time.

I'm not sure what those Supra motors rev to, but you can also swap the R&P with the one from an E39 M5 or E36 M3 for a less aggressive ratio if necessary (3.15:1 and 3.23:1 respectively). The LSD itself is the same style as the ones found in all modern M cars. There's a reason BMW has been using it in all of their cars - it is a good unit.

In fact, the entire E36 M3 diff should fit in the E46 M3 housing if you don't want the variable lock. They're both "210mm" style differentials. The diesel E46s have a 215mm diff case, which may be able to accomodate the E9x M3 differential (also a 215mm I believe) if acquiring diesel parts is any easier.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 09-23-2012 at 01:40 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote