E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #201
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Did you get your problems sorted out Dave?

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #202
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Did you get your problems sorted out Dave?
Haha I think so...what a nightmare this whole process has been. I'll bring everyone up to speed briefly, then explain.

Earlier this summer, I returned my problematic Noveske upper to my dealer, who upon testing it on his HK 416 lower, had the exact same problems I had with the upper. So he offered to do whatever I wanted pretty much in order to right the situation, which meant I could return it for a full refund, I could send it back to Noveske to try and get it fixed again, I could get a whole new upper from Noveske, or I could pick stuff out in the shop to get a different setup.

I opted, in part, to grab a different setup altogether. I grabbed a DD MK18 upper, some magpul sights, and a bcm ambi charging handle. With the help of Adam and Serbonze, I got a great deal on a Syrac adjustable gas block to throw on the upper. I then headed to New York for a few weeks and didn't get back to the gun until late July.

On the 28th of July, I traveled to Tampa to take the FL bar exam. As I drove in, I stopped at a shop off the interstate that I used to occasionally frequent when I lived there to see if they could throw the syrac on the gun while I was taking the exam and that I could pick up the finished product later in the week. To my surprise, they took the job immediately and did it as I waited. Looked good, but honestly, I didn't watch them do it...I was too busy looking at all the other stuff in the shop and keeping track of the lower.

On the 31st (I think), MPOWER and I met up at another local range to try it out. And we really gave it hell, throwing probably 400-450 rounds through it. I had it tuned correctly and zeroed and it functioned absolutely flawlessly.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I hadn't taken the gun out of lockup since returning from Tampa. My sister and her boyfriend, who happens to be one of my long-time close friends, came to Orlando to celebrate her birthday. So I grabbed the rifle and the new suppressor (M4-2000) which I had yet to shoot, and headed down to Orlando to meet up. The plan was to hit the range when she and the other girls hit the mall.

We had difficulty finding a range in Orlando that was friendly to our cause. The first one we checked out had a nice facility, but they were really ridiculous with their rules. They rented full auto guns, but you couldn't shoot your personal full auto there without the owners' permission (which weren't there) and supervision. They also had a ridiculous pistol qualification if we wanted to shoot the pistol on the rifle range at the same time (hand sized group at 52 feet, full mag.) We left that place and tried another, which only allowed it if you shot their frangible ammo...which was priced at $42 for a box of 20.

We finally did find a range that would let us shoot. Got into the range, loaded up, and fired a few rounds through. Then it got weird. I started hitting cycling issues. I figured that since I had just had a new muzzle device put on, the gas might need adjustment. So I turned up the gas and tried again, with no success. It wouldn't lock back on an empty mag and it wouldn't feed right. This was odd, because i was using the same ammo I had in tampa and really nothing had changed. I tried turning up the gas again and still nothing happened.

I did notice that it was getting hot really quickly. And then I noticed the gas bleeding near the front sight. Bad news. I took the upper off the lower and took it back into the shop to have a closer look. I assumed it was a gas issue and boy was I right.

Apparently, the shop in Tampa who did the work was totally incompetent. They failed to use locktite on the set screws that affix the syrac to the barrel. So one backed out and was completely lost and the whole gas block had slid forward on the barrel about 1/8 of an inch and was no longer properly aligned with the barrel gas port. That explained the gas issue.

So I struck out on the range day. Once again, the gun failed to function properly. i have had the absolute worst luck with this thing.

I got back to Jax with it earlier this week and took it to my local shop, who was able to take the muzzle device off for me. I thought I might need to remove the whole quad rail, but as it turns out, I was able to access the parts of the gas block I needed to by simply removing the bottom of the rail.

I needed a new set screw to replace the one I lost, so I called Syrac. Now, this is not a big knock on them, but their CS is less than stellar. I asked to speak to someone who would know about the set screws and was put on the phone with a tech. I told him one had backed out and asked him a) if this was something I could just replace from a local shop, b) if locktite was appropriate and if they recommended dimpling the barrel, and c) what the size and thread pitch of the screw was so I could just go to lowes or home depot and grab one. Said he would have to call me back, but that they did recommend locktite and that dimpling the barrel wouldn't be a bad idea.

I got a call back a few minutes later from the receptionist who didn't have the information for me. But she did offer to sell me a set screw or two...for $2.50 each. Now, I'm not a real stickler for small cash, but seriously? I bought their $100 block and they're trying to rip me off on a $2.50 set screw that costs them less than $0.20? The proper proceedure is "we're sorry that happened to you...please give us your address and we'll send a few out to you today."

But in any case, despite the fact I refused to pay that extortionate price for these things and they refused to give me the information I needed, I was able to determine with a kit that it was a number 10 set screw with a thread pitch of 32 per inch.

After visiting home depot, I returned with a pair stainless set screws that perfectly matched the ones syrac sent (and which only cost me $0.89 for the set). With a little patience and some red locktite, I re-installed the block on the barrel and re-assembled the rail and breakout. I now have a spare set screw in case I need it in the future.

Finally, fast forward to this evening when I had a chance to take the thing back to my local range and test fire it to see if the fix worked. Runs great, unsuppressed and suppressed. So hopefully, I won't have any more issues. I'm considering having the barrel dimpled...have to give it some thought.

TL/DR

Gun broke again because of a gas block failure, but I fixed it and it runs.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada

Last edited by david05111; 08-12-2014 at 09:57 PM.
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #203
MP0WER

Glad to hear it's been restored to full glory!

What's with people and their full auto stuffiness!?!?

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Old 08-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #204
david05111

No idea.

Also, why is it so dead in here lately folks? Hardly any threads going, no one randomly talking about stuff.

I hear crickets...

Old 08-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #205
MP0WER

Maybe everyone is reloading.....

Old 08-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #206
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
it has been quiet in here.

My 556SD made it to the local dealer
Old 08-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #207
MP0WER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
it has been quiet in here.

My 556SD made it to the local dealer
Ahhh, so the suppressors is why it's quite in here.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #208
NOVAbimmer

Rimshot

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #209
MP0WER

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
That's excellent CS. When you got it going when we were both there, that TacCon can throw some lead haha. That's hilarious that he sounded wary of it.
So the follow up on this....

He sent me the new trigger as promised. I took about a week longer to send in my original trigger. (the one you shot) I got a call on Friday evening, about 8:30 est. I listened to the VM and it was the TaCCon guy telling me that he rebuilt my trigger and everything except the external housing was new. He also said that he was putting in the mail 2 day priority.

I just received it in today's mail. So not only did he rebuild my original trigger, he gave me another one!

In the mean time, the supplier i got the trigger from finally responded and said that a heavier buffer spring usually takes care of any light primer strikes.

Looks like a visit to the range is in order....

Old 08-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #210
NOVAbimmer

check was cashed at the ATF for my form 4.

waiting.

Wife sounds like she said I could go ahead and put paperwork in on another suppressor. Will have to confirm.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #211
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
So the follow up on this....

He sent me the new trigger as promised. I took about a week longer to send in my original trigger. (the one you shot) I got a call on Friday evening, about 8:30 est. I listened to the VM and it was the TaCCon guy telling me that he rebuilt my trigger and everything except the external housing was new. He also said that he was putting in the mail 2 day priority.

I just received it in today's mail. So not only did he rebuild my original trigger, he gave me another one!

In the mean time, the supplier i got the trigger from finally responded and said that a heavier buffer spring usually takes care of any light primer strikes.

Looks like a visit to the range is in order....
Wait, let me see it I have this straight. You sent in the trigger you had in the gun to be re-built because they said it should be. And they sent it back to you, virtually brand new. And on top of that, they sent you a second trigger? As in, you got a whole other $500 trigger for free?!? Holy hell, that's awesome if true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
check was cashed at the ATF for my form 4.

waiting.

Wife sounds like she said I could go ahead and put paperwork in on another suppressor. Will have to confirm.
Hehe nice!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:01 PM   #212
MP0WER

Quote:
Wait, let me see it I have this straight. You sent in the trigger you had in the gun to be re-built because they said it should be. And they sent it back to you, virtually brand new. And on top of that, they sent you a second trigger? As in, you got a whole other $500 trigger for free?!? Holy hell, that's awesome if true.

Hehe nice!
Actually, it went like this....

I emailed the manufacture about what i perceived to be a defect.

The next day he mailed me a replacement trigger.

2 days later i received the new trigger.

1 week later i sent him my "defective" trigger.

2 days after they received it he put it back in the mail (2 day shipping)

Today i received my rebuilt trigger and sent him an email praising him for his exceptional service and for going above and beyond my expectations.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #213
david05111

So you're not supposed to send the one back? Nice, that's awesome CS

Old 08-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #214
MP0WER

He hasn't asked me to, nor did he mention that the replacement trigger he sent was a temporary replacement. I suppose there is a chance he could request it, but think it was his way of making amends for the supplier (he chose to partner with them) not responding to my emails for over 4 months.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #215
NOVAbimmer

suddenly I'm waiting on a Tirant 45 tax stamp too
Old 09-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #216
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Had a guy come in the shop today, needed help to transfer a DIAS to his trust.

a $1000 DIAS.....

Yup, lucky sob got it from a "good friend" for $1k.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #217
tailo

A few new videos

FA glock from concealment.

M16 cell phone camera mount, chest size rock at 100.

Last edited by tailo; 09-07-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #218
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
Had a guy come in the shop today, needed help to transfer a DIAS to his trust.

a $1000 DIAS.....

Yup, lucky sob got it from a "good friend" for $1k.
I'm not sure sure whether to say he's lucky or that he's not a very good friend at all. Dude easily just cost his "good friend" $18,000+

Old 09-07-2014, 01:07 AM   #219
tailo

Quote:
I'm not sure sure whether to say he's lucky or that he's not a very good friend at all. Dude easily just cost his "good friend" $18,000+
Well.... He has no living family and the sear along with his transferable AK and several silencers will be going to his friend and his friends kids upon his death.

Odd situation either way. MG's have been coming out of the woodwork around my neck of the woods.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #220
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
This is for the Maryland crowd *cough* AJ *cough*

It seems my next duty station will be in Pax River MD after I get done with this tour in the middle east end of next year.

I have not been keeping up with NFA laws in MD, but if you already have stamps for an SBR and suppressors are you good-to-go? Also my stamps and trusts are slated for my Florida residence. I know I will have to make an NFA change of address amendment, but I'm worried I will be SOL when MD changes the law. Not sure what the clause is for military members regarding this issue.