E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
BobInPa

My Ride: 03 330Cic, Passat SW
Washing a 330Ci Black Canvas Top?

Hi,
This is my first post since joining in February. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I owned a 96 Miata for 9 years before purchasing my 2003 330Ci 5 speed convertible in February. I needed a long trip, highway worthy car to stand in for our Passat Wagon which now has over 100K. So I took the opportunity to purchase the car of my dreams, ever since they first came out, a BMW 4 seat convertible. The BMW has a Steel Gray exterior, a Gray interior, a Black top and even now has less than 13,000 miles on it. The Miata was and the BMW is my daily driver. My Miata had the original vinyl top so washing it was no big deal, I just used car washing liquid. As was the case with the Miata, my top is down as long as the temperatures are above 40-50 degrees. The BMW is garage kept and, because I am retired, spends all of it's inactive time in the garage.

What is the best way to wash the top?

I was thinking just rinse it with water, lightly scrub to loosen any dirt, rinse and dry, not using any cleaning agent other than water.
BobInPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
edco

My Ride: 2004 325cic 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInPa View Post
Hi,
This is my first post since joining in February. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I owned a 96 Miata for 9 years before purchasing my 2003 330Ci 5 speed convertible in February. I needed a long trip, highway worthy car to stand in for our Passat Wagon which now has over 100K. So I took the opportunity to purchase the car of my dreams, ever since they first came out, a BMW 4 seat convertible. The BMW has a Steel Gray exterior, a Gray interior, a Black top and even now has less than 13,000 miles on it. The Miata was and the BMW is my daily driver. My Miata had the original vinyl top so washing it was no big deal, I just used car washing liquid. As was the case with the Miata, my top is down as long as the temperatures are above 40-50 degrees. The BMW is garage kept and, because I am retired, spends all of it's inactive time in the garage.

What is the best way to wash the top?

I was thinking just rinse it with water, lightly scrub to loosen any dirt, rinse and dry, not using any cleaning agent other than water.
I also have a black top. Bird-poop is the biggest challenge for me, though I have found that diluted Simple Green (about 50/50) with water works best. I also use RaggTopp as a follow-up after every wash.

I also owned a Miata and although the vert is my wife's daily driver, I try to keep the top down most days that the temps aren't too cold, too hot or of course raining. I'm also retired (though back to work I enjoy). I think you'll enjoy the BMW a LOT more than the Miata, though the Miata was more "rough" while the BMW is more sophisticated...different not better.
Good luck
ed in NJ
Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
I have just been using Meguiars Gold Class car soap and water to wash my entire car including the top. RaggTopp cleaner and protectant seems to be the most recommended stuff to use for convertible tops.

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
The Thomas J

My Ride: 2002 325Cic
I have been told baby shampoo is good to use on the top. I have heard from a few people that Rag topp is a good product.
The Thomas J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
i just washed my car today, and used raggtopp, by far the best

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
steve330

My Ride: '05 330cic
I use the Meguire's soft-top cleaner and aerosol protectant and it seems to be OK. 303 is also good, so I've heard.

On his deathbed:
Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.
- Oscar Wilde
steve330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
love the 325ci

My Ride: black 2005 325ci
great product along with a soft brush top will look new

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...e-top-kits.cfm
love the 325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
e46mook

My Ride: 2004 330cic
I used 303 on mine yesterday (cleaner and the protectant) and my top looks brand new...I also have a black top.
e46mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #9
BavLar

My Ride: 330Cic 5spd & 330i
I've never used anything but water. And here in ATL the springtime pollen gets extremely thick and yellow. It will make you want to use something stronger. Still, after using just water the top looks great.

Last edited by BavLar; 05-09-2011 at 06:44 AM.
BavLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
jimvideopro

My Ride: 2006 330CiC
Normally I just rinse with water. 2x a year, use the Raggtop cleaner (make sure you get the right one for cloth tops not vinyl) followed by the Raggtop protectant. IIRC, you can get both for about $25 shipped. Will last three or four applications. Be careful with overspray from the protectant -- cover the exposed parts of the car. Told it's hard to get off paint, etc. when it dries.
jimvideopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #11
Manza

My Ride: E46 330Ci SMG
I use Autoglym fabric hood set (comes with sponge, cleaner and impregnator), but I hear the BMW original is good too (just a tad more expensive).
Manza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
bmw335ion18s

My Ride: '04 330Cic 5AT
I use raggtopp every time.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
BobInPa

Thanks for the advice.

I washed the car yesterday using the rinse, lightly scrub with only water, rinse and dry method for the top. It looks great but I did notice that there was no water beading on the horizontal surfaces and only minimal beading on the sides.
So I will be picking up the highly recommended RaggTopp kit tomorrow.

I don't plan on using the cleaner portion of the kit because my top doesn't look like it needs it. I may be wrong.
Will the single can of protectant provided be enough to do the entire top with the recommended 3 coats.

Thanks again, in advance.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #14
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
i had to order my kit, everywhere i called didnt even carry it =[

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #15
tooredhots

My Ride: '01 325ci vert
I usually spray it off with plain water, but if it is very dirty, or has embedded junk like pollen, or bird poop, I will bring out the raggtopp cleaner and a soft brush.

Keep in mind there is two different products by raggtopp. There is a cleaner, and a protectant. The protectant needs to be applied to a clean, lint free, dry top. A properly protected top should not require much upkeep. The protectant will make the water bead, and make dirt, and grime easier to spray off with plain water.

Just buy the kit, its like $30 and should last you a little while

Bone stock, style 68s FTW!
tooredhots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #16
BobInPa

I picked up the RaggTopp kit late last week. Although I didn't think my top was dirty, I did use the cleaner. I didn't see any difference after the cleaning but maybe it is helpful to the protectant phase. After drying in the sun for a day, I applied the recommended 3 coats of protectant. Incidentally, there seems to be enough protectant left in the can for about one coat. I left the protectant bond for the recommended 48 hours in a shaded, dry place (aka garage). This could have been the worst step since the weather last week was gorgeous, but both days were station wagon away from home days. The way water beads and runs off now is amazing. My timing was perfect, since this week's weather has been one rain storm after another.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #17
elmercc

My Ride: 01 330Cic, '90 325i
Send a message via AIM to elmercc Send a message via Skype™ to elmercc
Just ordered the 303 kit for my car....looking forward to using it!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #18
trailmower

My Ride: 330CIC

The 303 products are terrific. Used them over the weekend and a 5 year top looks brand new. Scuff marks gone and color perfect after applying protectant. Make sure to cover all painted surfaces before applying the protectant. I tapped off the rear glass, slightly opened the top and slipped a tarp between the top and the windshield frame (but over the windows), and put newspaper over trunk deck. When I do this next time, will put the paper on thicker as the protectant started soaking through.
trailmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #19
cgj

My Ride: 2006 325CIC
I just use water and a soft brush if needed to remove stuff like bird poop for my regular washes. Raggtop clean and protectant twice a year in the fall and spring.

When using the spray protectant I use a big piece of cardboard to protect the car when doing the edges. Much easier than taping and using tarps.

Last edited by cgj; 05-31-2011 at 07:52 PM.
cgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #20
BobInPa

Whatever method you use to keep protectant from getting on your paint is worth the time.
There was one little spot that I didn't cover and it was a pain to clean off.