E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
330 LOWlife

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Anyone run Raceland coilovers??

Still debating.. They are cheap buy they go LOW.. road ok I'm my vw.. Just wanna see what ppl that have them think
330 LOWlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Buying coilovers just to "go low" is a mistake. That aside, a good set of coilovers start at $1300.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
if all you care about is going low, just cut your springs.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
330 LOWlife

Ok.. I'm not just tryna go "low" so if no one gonna help and just be smart asses please just don't replie
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
330 LOWlife

The question was anyone running racelands.. I wanna see what ppl who do have them
Think
Old 09-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
if all you wanted was a review of raceland coilovers, it would have saved you a lot of smartass replies by just doing a search.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
smolck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330 LOWlife View Post
Ok.. I'm not just tryna go "low"
Huh, it seems that you are given your handle has LOW in all caps and your original post said "they go LOW" in all caps again, emphasizing your want to go low.

I didn't make a smart ass comment. I made a true comment. Racelands suck, are bouncy, and have documented breakage. Additionally, every time you change your ride height you need to have the car corner weighted to maintain proper handling characteristics, otherwise you end up with a LOW car that handles like crap.

If you really want to GO LOW, why not buy a set of Bilstein HD shocks or Koni yellows and then put some H&R race springs on your car? No corner weighting issues, decent ride quality, and $800 for all new, QUALITY components.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330 LOWlife View Post
Ok.. I'm not just tryna go "low" so if no one gonna help and just be smart asses please just don't replie
We are trying to help you.

Buying cheap suspension parts for any reason is irresponsible. Its irresponsible to yourself and to everyone around you when you drive.

I have coil-overs on my car - H&R. I do not recommend. The coil-overs themselves are wonderful but they simply are not geared for street use. The streets are just too hard on the shocks and the shocks, in turn, are too hard on the car.
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
if all you wanted was a review of raceland coilovers, it would have saved you a lot of smartass replies by just doing a search.

First off, this topic has been beaten to death and if you had searched like you should have this thread wouldn't exist. Second there is an entire section of the forum dedicated to suspension so you should have posted this there.

Follow the forum rules.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
i'd rather roll my car off the grand canyon then put racelands. buy quality. you can get quality for roughly $850 for suspension technique coilovers. they were little known up until a year or so ago. now everybody is using them. this is a bare minimum. most quality stuff you have to pay more for.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
lol, racelands
Old 09-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I installed some in a local car. They are terrible and a waste of money but they do go low. Your car will bounce down the street like a Honda 3 series.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
ModBargains III
Sponsor

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Buying coilovers just to "go low" is a mistake. That aside, a good set of coilovers start at $1300.
ST's are listed below that and I still consider to be really great coilovers. They're made by KW so you know they're good stuff, and they're priced out really well:

*ST V1 Coilovers E6 3 Series

ST Variant 1 Advantages
Matched damper and springs rates
Corrosion resistant zinc plated threaded strut housing
All around height adjustability
Integrated elastromeric bump stop
Self centering dust boot for insured durability

PM me for more info!

Sales | Sales@ModBargains.com |(714) 582-3330
We Specialize In: BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
ST's are what's up.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Raceland = useless
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
smolck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
ST's are what's up.
I suppose, but having coilovers with non-adjustable dampers makes little sense to me. At that point why not just get a spring/shock combo like Koni Yellows and H&R? Save $250 and buy sways too.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #17
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Raceland = useless
not entirely but somewhat true
Old 09-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I suppose, but having coilovers with non-adjustable dampers makes little sense to me. At that point why not just get a spring/shock combo like Koni Yellows and H&R? Save $250 and buy sways too.
Height adjustability.

ST's ride beautifully with the matched spring rates, good kit for a DD.

Last edited by ac_2007; 09-25-2012 at 11:57 AM.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
jamex

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
I ran them for a year. They were 'ok' at best. They were cheap\inexpensive, but I also had to buy new endlinks and spacers or my OEM wheels would rub against the front coilovers. The ride quality was bouncy in the rear and not something I would trust hitting twisty terrain at full speed for fear of losing my rear traction. One cold winter later and the shocks were blown and I no longer enjoyed getting into my car. Your mileage may vary. Its easy to look at the cheap price and say "why not?". After you add up additional components such as endlinks and spacers (spring compressor rental?), and your time invested in the install its not as great a deal as it first appears. Looking back, if I had to do it over again, I would have listened to everyone's advice and ponied up some more money for a reputable suspension kit. The spring & shock combos aren't bad at all if you're on a budget and one benefit is that you don't have to adjust them. Believe me, getting everything dialed in just right can be a pain in the ass if you're a perfectionist. Especially since you'll have to do it more than once, since the setup will settle over time.

I ripped out my racelands roughly a year after purchase (out of warranty) and tossed it all in a box and left it at a buddies shop to rot. Learned my lesson and paid some good money for good coilovers and it would have been nice to have taken the few hundred bucks wasted on racelands and used it towards my final suspension setup instead. I can trust my suspension to stay glued to the road even if I hit bumps or uneven terrain doing high speed turns.

So take that how you will. You're welcome to experiment with the cheaper options and you wouldn't be the first. My only caution is that while you're looking to get "slammed" today, your priorities might change in the future when you want your OEM handling characteristics AND low ride height.

Here's how I sit today (with room to go lower), and still enjoy full suspension travel because my kit doesn't rely on preloading to lower the height, whereas those Racelands will lose suspension travel the lower you go. Less suspension travel = harsh\uncomfortable ride. It can't be great for your car to be jarred around that much either.

Last edited by jamex; 09-25-2012 at 01:04 PM.
jamex is online now   Reply With Quote