E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
m@rk1

My Ride: 2000 323 Sedan
Cool Engine noise - not caused pulley/tensioner/alternator

Hello all, first let me say thanks to you all - these forums have saved me a ton through the DIYs.

With that said I am having a problem I am hoping to get a few suggestions on. My 03 330Ci started making what I consider to be a whining sound about 6 wks ago. Took it to the stealership and $530 and a new Idler pulley later the sound stopped for about a month. About 2 wks ago the sound was back and is pretty obvious when I start the car in the morning but quite down significantly when the car has been running for about 10 mins.

Taking queue form the dealer I changed the two tensioners to see if that would fix the issue (it didn't) and now alternator. Thing is, now I started the car after 2 days and I now have what seem to be a tapping noise which disappeared after the car got warm.

After doing some more research here I am thinking of changing the oil next as I used Castrol full synthetic 5W30 at my last oil change which I am thinking may be the issue, any other suggestions?
m@rk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
aviatorx

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
check your water pump..... I bet it is leaking, and will produce a high squeal sound like a bad idle pulley
aviatorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Usmc1028

My Ride: 1999 BMW 328i
^I would look into your water pump like this guy said
Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
m@rk1

Started the car this morning and the sound is still there, ever so slightly but still there. Will check the water pump as you guys suggested and post my findings.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
pantenchims

My Ride: e46
hey same problem it gets to me sometimes but it would be great if i know what the noise was coming from lol i changed the idler pulley the water pump the belts still there like your car it goes away in about 10 min i have the 2001 bmw 330ci i was talking to autozone about it and the guy recommended me to buy a completely new alternator something about when you warm up you car you alternator works the hardest to try to pump power to charge up the batt but i dont want to spend 250 bux and find that the noise is still there
pantenchims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
m@rk1

I changed my alternator as well and still have the noise. Took the car back to the dealer to have them do a diagnostic and told the service advisor that the tensioners, pulley and alternator was changed recently. They came back with a 100% certainty that the main tensioner pulley is bad and needs to be converted to the hydraulic tensioner to fix the issue . This after I told them that less than a month ago I personally changed out the two tensioners, idler pulley and the alternator. So now onto Aviatorx and Usmc's suggestion of the water pump.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
m@rk1

Changed water pump and still no luck.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
m@rk1

So I was finally able to get this fixed, when I changed my alternator/water pump tensioner I only changed the pulley/roller part of it not the entire assembly - bad move on my part. Decided to change out the entire assembly last nite and that fixed my noise issue. So a word of advice to those trying to figure this out or changing pulleys...change the entire assembly and save yourself some pain.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Thanks for the follow up. Sorry you had to throw so many parts at it. And probably countless hours. On the positive side you probably replaced parts that might have caused problems sometime in the future. It is interesting the tensioner was causing this noise - perhaps it was not properly tensioning the belt? Maybe this is why BMW changed to hydraulic tensioner? I hope sometime during this process you also took the opportunity to replace the belts.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
austin9888

My Ride: 2003 330cic
mark did you try taking the belts off to isolate the noise? if so did the noise stop when the belt was removed?
austin9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
TEAMAFLCON

My Ride: 2003 325i
Is this the sound?

Last edited by TEAMAFLCON; 10-10-2012 at 12:44 PM.
TEAMAFLCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Bigtyrant

My Ride: 2001 325ci
hey mark i think i may have had the same problem is this the sound

Bigtyrant is offline   Reply With Quote