E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
thecarguy

My Ride: ZHP Sedan
Thumbs down NOT HAPPY with Khoalty

I am not one to ever complain on forums, as a matter of fact I never have. I have always had good luck with vendors and prior to Khoalty I had a VERY good experience with APEX.

Khoalty...not so much.

First: I was told last week on tuesday that my paypal cleared and they would be shipping out. Well, they didn't ship them until this past monday a full week late. This already was not starting out to be good and the warnings from the forums were ringing in my head.

So the "smoked" side markers for my e46 facelift sedan show up yesterday and boy is there issues.

1) They do not look like the smoked they look like the DARK.
2) I had to wrap electrical tape around the lights to keep them in and moisture out. The bulbs screwed in super loose!
3) I had to take my plastic polish and buff out a TON of scratches. They just looked like crap. Like I sprayed my clears in my garage.
4) The WORST part is the fitment. See the images below. As you can see the one with my finger is how it should fit (flush with the body). Both of them have the gap at the front.

The response I get from Kevin when I emailed him the pictures...

"Hi Greg,

You can return them and we will refund you back for the product itself.
Its been the same manufacturer since couple of years ago.

-kevin"

So much for customer service. Thought I might get an email apologizing for poor fit etc with suggested solutions.

What a great deal! So let me get this straight Kevin...I am out the first $8 for shipping and now I am expected to pay another $8 in shipping to send them back for a total spent out of my pocket of $16 for nothing on a $25 part? Hmmmm doesn't add up. I'll just keep the crappy lights and figure out a way to rigg them to work better.

SO, not that anyone needs another warning but be aware when purchasing these parts, and be aware of the lack of customer service.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how to rig them to make them fit properly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130716_134201.jpg
Views:	2386
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	516939   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130716_134445.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	516940  
thecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
NOT HAPPY with Khoalty

Why is this such a common problem? I run a business and I cannot imagine treating my customers the way khoalty treats theirs. Khoalty get in here! You got some splainin' to do!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1374076008.052163.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	516944

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
thecarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Why is this such a common problem? I run a business and I cannot imagine treating my customers the way khoalty treats theirs. Khoalty get in here! You got some splainin' to do!
Attachment 516944
That's what I don't get either. It really felt like I was going in and ordering a burger from some punk kid at a Del Taco. You expect it there and deal with it, but I did not expect it here even with the warnings.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
NOT HAPPY with Khoalty

It's REALLY not that hard to ship things out on time when you're properly running things. A day late? Maybe. I can understand that. But I have a feeling that they don't actually stock a lot of stuff and instead order it from their supplier immediately and then ship it upon arrival. So it takes them roughly a week to get these from the supplier.
Not a way to run a parts business. Especially when you don't really sell all that much. It should be easy to maintain a decent stock of limited parts. It's not like they're ecs tuning with thousands of parts.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
That is why I have never bought from them and probably never will. They say they save us money by not providing phone support(in reality no support) but that is complete bs. It would probably amaze them the number of customers I talk to when its not even my job to do so.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Re: NOT HAPPY with Khoalty

There's a reason they're cheap.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
sbiggi

My Ride: 325Xi
Re: NOT HAPPY with Khoalty

Mine have the same fitment issues. I also used electrical tape to keep the bulbs in.

For the money, I personally didn't give a crap on the fitment.....

2002 325Xi

1990 Eclipse GSX
591whp / 481wtq

2003 F250 Super Duty
sbiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
thecarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiggi View Post
Mine have the same fitment issues. I also used electrical tape to keep the bulbs in.

For the money, I personally didn't give a crap on the fitment.....

Mine are starting to pull out even more from the body than the pics I first attached. Any luck with making them sit flush with the body? I believe it could be accomplished by bending the clip in closer to the light but I am afraid of breaking the plastic that holds it in.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
//Maxwelljuppercut

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarguy View Post
Mine are starting to pull out even more from the body than the pics I first attached. Any luck with making them sit flush with the body? I believe it could be accomplished by bending the clip in closer to the light but I am afraid of breaking the plastic that holds it in.
thats what i did, after some 'adjustment' they fit fine. although i did have to break off and reuse one of the clips from the stock light, because when i first installed the light the clip fell out into the body panel. will not order from them again.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
It's not like they're ecs tuning with thousands of parts.
As long as we're comparing vendors, ECS has their ish on lock

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
thecarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by //Maxwelljuppercut View Post
thats what i did, after some 'adjustment' they fit fine. although i did have to break off and reuse one of the clips from the stock light, because when i first installed the light the clip fell out into the body panel. will not order from them again.
So crappy man. Well I guess I'll prep myself for some cussing if I break the plastic. Should not have to be this way!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
thecarguy

Ok, for any of you that have been living with janky Khoalty side markers, this is how you fix it. Or at least make it better.

CAREFULLY heat up the metal spring clip with a lighter while being mindful of the plastic area. Once it's heated up a good amount carefully but firmly take the side marker in hand and press the sharp bend that is just out of the plastic against a hard surface. Since its hot I used my granite kitchen counter top.

You just want to get the very end of the metal spring clip closer to the plastic back of the side marker. This will draw it in flush with the body of the car once you put it in.

I did melt the plastic that the clip is in a bit on one of them but quickly while I was holding it against the counter I blew on it to cool it down and harden back the plastic. I gave it some good tugs and jiggles and it seems solid.

Now to polish out the crappy finish of the "smoked" plastic.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
//Maxwelljuppercut

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarguy View Post
CAREFULLY heat up the metal spring clip with a lighter while being mindful of the plastic area. Once it's heated up a good amount carefully but firmly take the side marker in hand and press the sharp bend that is just out of the plastic against a hard surface. Since its hot I used my granite kitchen counter top.

You just want to get the very end of the metal spring clip closer to the plastic back of the side marker. This will draw it in flush with the body of the car once you put it in.
or you could squeeze the clip with some pliers, either way works.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
danwilz

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert 2012 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrasivataSabine View Post
As long as we're comparing vendors, ECS has their ish on lock
The ones from ECS are OE BMW, with the BMW etching melted off the back. At least my M3 side markers from them were.