E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #21
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
if you want to keep it for a long time then I think its worth it pending service history etc. Does it have the original oem tyres? if it does the km could be genuine, if not they still might be but shows its been doing spirited driving or tracking (which is not necessarily a bad thing)

I paid a premium for mine 6 months ago and was 04 and 54km and is immaculate (see my posts) so if this car checks out 60k is good imo

Aidan
Thats a good point Aidan. Never thought of that!

Ive done about 35,000 kms in 3 years (325Ci) and only changed the front tyres once (due to new wheels) and the rears twice (once due to new tyres)

Id say M3's would go through the rear alot quicker, so @ 24,000 they would be pretty bald.

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?

Last edited by YGOAMG; 09-25-2012 at 10:57 PM.
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #22
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossim3 View Post
Look how many problems you have had though. Your car has been off the road for nearly 3 months and i bet the money you have spent to get it back on the road has pushed it close to the 60k mark....?

50-60k for a working 2002 M3 with 103,000kms+
or
60-65K for a 2006 M3 with 25,000kms.......

Honestly i think its a great buy for around 60k. If you are a genuine E46fanatic then this car is for you.
Granted, I've had some problems with the car but my issues have derived from incompetent mechanics being unable to diagnose a small issue. I have a small vibration from the drive shaft under extreme load in first and second gear. By no means has this put me off the road and I dare say most owners wouldn't noticed the issue or would just continued driving the car anyway. I've had the diff seals, fluid, rear bushes, front bushes and bolts replaced. This cost around 1k. I have now diagnosed the real issue to be the CSB which is costing me $65 for all the parts and then a couple of hows installing it with a friend on their hoist.

So yeah, I've had issues but by no means have I spent 30k getting it fixed and it hasn't been 'off the road'. If anything after this I'll essentially have a brand new guibo, CSB and all my diff bushes. The drive train from the gearbox back on my car should be just like new.

What you also need to keep in mind is that just because a 6 year old car has 24,000kms on it items like rubber and bushes could have still aged or be worn from the weather.

Granted, I'd love an e46 M3 with 24,000kms on the clock but I think it's worth closer to 50k than 65k. Heck, 20k more on top of the 65k and you'd be in an e92M3 with less than 50,000kms on the clock..

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #23
rossim3

My Ride: myki
I dont think the issue here is whether spending 60k on an E46 M3 is a good idea or not. Perosnally i wouldnt as there are other cars for that price i would prefer, but then again i am not a true fanatic.

BUT! If you are a genuine E46fanatic, love the shape, style and everything to do with the E46 then this car is def worth the money. The last MY E46M3 with low KMS. Its something you would keep for a very long time.

if i had the money, i would buy the last MY of each M3 series and keep it for life. it doesnt matter how much something costs, some people cant help their attraction towards a car regardless of price.

On another note, arent these digital speedos pretty much impossible to wind back? I thought you would have to fk around with the ECU etc
Old 09-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #24
DeclanM3

Quote:
I dont think the issue here is whether spending 60k on an E46 M3 is a good idea or not. Perosnally i wouldnt as there are other cars for that price i would prefer, but then again i am not a true fanatic.

BUT! If you are a genuine E46fanatic, love the shape, style and everything to do with the E46 then this car is def worth the money. The last MY E46M3 with low KMS. Its something you would keep for a very long time.

if i had the money, i would buy the last MY of each M3 series and keep it for life. it doesnt matter how much something costs, some people cant help their attraction towards a car regardless of price.

On another note, arent these digital speedos pretty much impossible to wind back? I thought you would have to fk around with the ECU etc
Apparently it's a case of sending your keys and a couple of modules to someone with the right equipment. I remember seeing a thread about it ages ago and there was a guy in Melb that could do it.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #25
rossim3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
Apparently it's a case of sending your keys and a couple of modules to someone with the right equipment. I remember seeing a thread about it ages ago and there was a guy in Melb that could do it.
no ****? thats fkd up
Old 09-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #26
M3 CS

My Ride: Vienta Grande
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
if you want to keep it for a long time then I think its worth it pending service history etc. Does it have the original oem tyres? if it does the km could be genuine, if not they still might be but shows its been doing spirited driving or tracking (which is not necessarily a bad thing)

I paid a premium for mine 6 months ago and was 04 and 54km and is immaculate (see my posts) so if this car checks out 60k is good imo

Aidan
Aidan,

Two points from your comments:

Firstly, the original Tyres @ 24K kms....but 6 years old, so probably have been changed. My car has just ticked onto 30,000 kms and I've had the PSC's on there after a set of CS2s. The rears go a lot faster than the fronts.

Secondly, paying a Premium for the better car Condition, kms, colour, specs, etc. I honestly think $65K is a good price because I can appreciate the car. Each to their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Maniac View Post
Hey Declan, I am interested bcos it's such a low k car. The money is probably a little high but IF it's like new then it's probably worth it
You keen on the car? PM me and I'll inspect. I'll tell you how good it really is.

Last edited by M3 CS; 09-25-2012 at 11:49 PM.
M3 CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #27
M3_Maniac

My Ride: MY 4.5 M3 SMG
I appreciate everyone's input into this. Declan I've had an E9X M3 and have gone back to an E46 bcos although the E9X is ultimately a faster car it lost so much of the appeal that made the E46 such a brilliant drivers car. I find the E46 a FAR better car to drive quickly and an E46 will always tell you whats happening with its steering, throttle input, chassis balance etc something the later series M3's just don't give you as much of. From a purely driving perspective at 9 tenths the E46 in my opinion is a superior drive.

There are plenty of $65k cars out there that will blow an E46 M3 to the weeds in terms of sheer speed, my FG XR6T which makes just over 500rwkw makes my M3 feel slow BUT it is nowhere close to be as satisfying to drive quickly.

We all have our own opinions and we all have our favourites and it's great bcos it makes for healthy discussion. I love the E46 for it's purity and sheer ability when it's in the right hands if not for outright speed.
M3_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #28
rossim3

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's input into this. Declan I've had an E9X M3 and have gone back to an E46 bcos although the E9X is ultimately a faster car it lost so much of the appeal that made the E46 such a brilliant drivers car. I find the E46 a FAR better car to drive quickly and an E46 will always tell you whats happening with its steering, throttle input, chassis balance etc something the later series M3's just don't give you as much of. From a purely driving perspective at 9 tenths the E46 in my opinion is a superior drive.

There are plenty of $65k cars out there that will blow an E46 M3 to the weeds in terms of sheer speed, my FG XR6T which makes just over 500rwkw makes my M3 feel slow BUT it is nowhere close to be as satisfying to drive quickly.

We all have our own opinions and we all have our favourites and it's great bcos it makes for healthy discussion. I love the E46 for it's purity and sheer ability when it's in the right hands if not for outright speed.
whoaaa so many things wrong with this post
Old 09-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #29
M3_Maniac

Quote:
whoaaa so many things wrong with this post
C'mon then, point out exactly what's wrong :-)
Old 09-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #30
brandtner

My Ride: BMW
Quote:

If you have the money I would recommend getting a CSL and holding onto that. You will not go wrong - best car in terms of what you are looking for (balance, steering, etc).
brandtner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #31
rossim3

Quote:
C'mon then, point out exactly what's wrong :-)
cbf. but i did read it again....still funny the second time
Old 09-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #32
DeclanM3

Let me guess, it's only 30k if we all join your forum?

Last edited by DeclanM3; 09-26-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #33
Rob32R

My Ride: BMW 530i E60,VW R32
No Declan.
Rob32R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #34
rossim3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob32R View Post
No Declan.
whats the catch then....?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #35
Rob32R

My Ride: BMW 530i E60,VW R32
Nothing guys. I have deleted the comment so no one know's as this car isn't even on Carsales or anything. Just private. It would be greatly appreciated Declan if you can remove your quote.

Cheers guys

Last edited by Rob32R; 09-26-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Rob32R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #36
rossim3

Quote:
Nothing guys. I have deleted the comment so no one know's as this car isn't even on Carsales or anything. Just private. It would be greatly appreciated Declan if you can remove your quote.

Cheers guys
But i want to know how you can get a 06 carbon black E46 M3 with 72,000kms from for $30k too!!

Dont leave us hanging like this man! Ive got the cash ready to go. PM me number so we can close the deal

Maybe you OP can trade imaginary cars. A 500rwkw Ute for your 30k 2006 M3...

Last edited by rossim3; 09-26-2012 at 01:23 AM.
rossim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #37
M3_Maniac

Quote:
cbf. but i did read it again....still funny the second time
Tell me how many km's you've spent driving both E9X & E46 M3's????? My guess would have to be zero OR your experience comes via an Xbox or PS bcos it's clear you really know very little about driving in the real world!

If you're brave enough to make comment at least explain your comments and give reasons for them.......................
Old 09-26-2012, 01:33 AM   #38
DeclanM3

Quote:

Cheers guys
Done!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #39
M3_Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtner View Post
If you have the money I would recommend getting a CSL and holding onto that. You will not go wrong - best car in terms of what you are looking for (balance, steering, etc).
Hey Brad, a CSL is just not a viable proposition as a daily driver and a car I will put more than 1000km's on a week. To do that to such a special car would be a disgrace. That's the whole reason I like the idea of an ultra low km car, it's going to get used a lot.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #40
M3_Maniac

Agreed though on the CSL front, it is a superb car!!!!