E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
MyBaby330xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Grove City, OH
Posts: 76
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
Dynavin, Avin, Eonon...ETC...Which one is Beat...Help Please

Hello everyone and thanks for reading my post

I have an '03 330xi without a NAV but with Harmon-Kardon Speakers and I would like to install one of the aftermarket Double DIN units for the E46 but I am completely overwhelmed with all of the different types as well as the amount of information available here.

Here is my Criteria:

Price - Not so much of an issue as long as I am getting my monies worth.
Radio - Not so much an issue as I prefer to stream from my Android either Audiobooks or Pandora
Bluetooth - Absolute Necessity!
USB Connection - Not necessary as long as the Bluetooth is reliable.
Navigation - Yes please. Good Graphics, accurate and routinely updated maps.
Steering Wheel Controls - Yes please
Front DVR Camera - Yes, would be nice.
Rear Camera - Yes, would be nice.
Operating System - Android
Screen Resolution - Best Possible
Speed - Dual or Quad Core would be nice
OBD Connection - Yes Please

I can't think of anything else that I should be concerned with. My concern is that I would like to have faith that I am buying a unit that has been tested and had the bugs worked out of it and is worth the money. I am leaning toward the AVIN Avant 2 mainly because the guy is in CA and not China and the units looks nice and functional.

Please help me by giving me your pros and cons of each. I realize that no unit is going to be perfect, honestly just looking for a nice reliable well thought out unit that is priced accordingly.

Thank you in advance!

Joel
MyBaby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
MyBaby330xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Grove City, OH
Posts: 76
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
Yes, I know there is a section for sound systems and i have a post there as well but not getting much Love. I figured that unless you are actively searching for a unit or having a problem, most people don't go to that section. I was hoping for some feedback from people who have the different units and are happy or not happy.
Thanks!
MyBaby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
hitbyastick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DC
Posts: 1,660
My Ride: 2002 325i
I'm looking into the Dynavin N6 because sound quality is paramount to me. It has a Burr-Brown DAC and time delay. Also, the capacitive touchscreen is a nice feature. All the other things mentioned it does include, but so do all the other choices. Bluetooth, navigation, satellite radio, camera functions; all that stuff is pretty standard by now with these units and comparable between them. In my view if it doesn't sound good it's not worth the trouble. Primary function for me will be music playback, and everything else is secondary.
__________________
Erryboddy got a plan till they get punched in the mouf - Mike Tyson
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
dmarkle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 300
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
As an aside, I find myself holding off on these. I guess I just have to see them in the flesh to see if I really want one. I don't know if there's any other way. Might be a good reason to do a meet up or a CCA event to see what others have done.

I think at this point, they should drop the CD player from these units and perhaps make the speaker a bit bigger. They should also look a bit beyond the OE Nav look - a pure capacitive screen, filling up most of the area of the unit might be the best way these days.
dmarkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
MyBaby330xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Grove City, OH
Posts: 76
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
I'm looking into the Dynavin N6 because sound quality is paramount to me. It has a Burr-Brown DAC and time delay. Also, the capacitive touchscreen is a nice feature. All the other things mentioned it does include, but so do all the other choices. Bluetooth, navigation, satellite radio, camera functions; all that stuff is pretty standard by now with these units and comparable between them. In my view if it doesn't sound good it's not worth the trouble. Primary function for me will be music playback, and everything else is secondary.
I like the looks of the Dynavin but not real crazy about the Windows 8 look...such a confusing topic. I would love to see one and fiddle with it a bit...in place of that I was hoping for some good feedback here from people that own a few different types. Are there any I should completely steer clear of?
MyBaby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
325CiBrett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 215
My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Dynavin, Avin, Eonon...ETC...Which one is Beat...Help Please

In my opinion, these touch screens are the only way to go if you choose to upgrade from the stock head unit. A single DIN looks goofy and offset, and just plain unprofessional.

With that said, I like how these head units are made specifically for the E46 and its trim, but after watching multiple reviews I'm still not sold on it. I'd mainly use it for iPhone connected Pandora and stored iTunes music, but it seems like these aftermarket units are mediocre in handshakes and controls.

Last edited by 325CiBrett; 06-27-2015 at 06:43 PM.
325CiBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
MyBaby330xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Grove City, OH
Posts: 76
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325CiBrett View Post
In my opinion, these touch screens are the only way to go if you choose to upgrade from the stock head unit. A single DIN looks goofy and offset, and just plain unprofessional.

With that said, I like how these head units are made specifically for the E46 and its trim, but after watching multiple reviews I'm still not sold on it. I'd mainly use it for iPhone connected Pandora and stored iTunes music, but it seems like these aftermarket units are mediocre in handshakes and controls.
Fully agree about the Single DIN, I actually have already relocated my a/c in anticipation for one of the E46 specific Double DIN units but I can't make up my mind about which one.

Is there anyone out there that absolutely Loves their Avin, Dynavin, Eonon? ...Anyone...Anyone...Bueller...

Last edited by MyBaby330xi; 06-27-2015 at 08:46 PM.
MyBaby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:47 AM   #8
Korod
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 49
My Ride: 2003 330ci;2011 135i
I recently installed a Eonon head unit. It looks good and functions as advertised but the sound is not as good as the OEM head unit. If I keep it, I will likely have to in install an amp in order to get good sound.
Korod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #9
Rexii
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 182
My Ride: 2004 BMW 330ci E46
I went for the Navall 3. It seemed like it was quite responsive but it's a crap shoot when it comes to sound quality. I have the Harmon Kardon system and it sounds absolutely amazing naturally.
__________________
Current Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci Metallic Mystic Blue 50,000Km
Rexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
MyBaby330xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Grove City, OH
Posts: 76
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexii View Post
I went for the Navall 3. It seemed like it was quite responsive but it's a crap shoot when it comes to sound quality. I have the Harmon Kardon system and it sounds absolutely amazing naturally.
Thank you for your information. In regards to your comment about sound quality being a "crap shoot". Is that due to poor quality control at Navall?
MyBaby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #11
hitbyastick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DC
Posts: 1,660
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexii View Post
I have the Harmon Kardon system and it sounds absolutely amazing naturally.
First time I have ever seen anyone make that statement.
__________________
Erryboddy got a plan till they get punched in the mouf - Mike Tyson
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #12
///MPackage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Woodbridge, ON Canada
Posts: 61
My Ride: 2005 - BMW 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBaby330xi View Post
Hello everyone and thanks for reading my post

I have an '03 330xi without a NAV but with Harmon-Kardon Speakers and I would like to install one of the aftermarket Double DIN units for the E46 but I am completely overwhelmed with all of the different types as well as the amount of information available here.

Here is my Criteria:

Price - Not so much of an issue as long as I am getting my monies worth.
Radio - Not so much an issue as I prefer to stream from my Android either Audiobooks or Pandora
Bluetooth - Absolute Necessity!
USB Connection - Not necessary as long as the Bluetooth is reliable.
Navigation - Yes please. Good Graphics, accurate and routinely updated maps.
Steering Wheel Controls - Yes please
Front DVR Camera - Yes, would be nice.
Rear Camera - Yes, would be nice.
Operating System - Android
Screen Resolution - Best Possible
Speed - Dual or Quad Core would be nice
OBD Connection - Yes Please

I can't think of anything else that I should be concerned with. My concern is that I would like to have faith that I am buying a unit that has been tested and had the bugs worked out of it and is worth the money. I am leaning toward the AVIN Avant 2 mainly because the guy is in CA and not China and the units looks nice and functional.

Please help me by giving me your pros and cons of each. I realize that no unit is going to be perfect, honestly just looking for a nice reliable well thought out unit that is priced accordingly.

Thank you in advance!

Joel

Hey,

Why not go with this: https://avinusa.com/bmw-e46-avant2-f...on-system.html

BMW 3 Series - E46 / M3 - Avant-2 Full Android Multimedia Navigation System

This seems to be the best out there so far..correct me if I am wrong..
///MPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #13
MysticBlue
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 53
My Ride: 04 330xi & 05 330cab
I have had he AVIN unit for the past 8 months and am very happy with it. The sound is really good with the regular HK speakers. You can use whatever nav app you want. The other big plus is that Tommy provides great customer service and support.
MysticBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #14
E46inthe206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 688
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
My Dynavin volume knob stopped working.. I can't really feel a "click" or whatever when I turn it. It's a much smoother rotation now that it stopped working. Any idea how I can fix it? Not looking to replace it..

I would suggest the Dynavin. It's a great unit and mine works great. The navigation won't load on mine for some reason though. Everything else is great. Works with steering wheel controls and everything.
E46inthe206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #15
dan4081
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: florida
Posts: 601
My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46inthe206 View Post
My Dynavin volume knob stopped working.. I can't really feel a "click" or whatever when I turn it. It's a much smoother rotation now that it stopped working. Any idea how I can fix it? Not looking to replace it..

I would suggest the Dynavin. It's a great unit and mine works great. The navigation won't load on mine for some reason though. Everything else is great. Works with steering wheel controls and everything.
How long have you had the Dynavin?

'My dynavin volume knob stopped working' and 'the navigation wont load for some reason' but also 'its a great unit and works great'?
dan4081 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #16
MyBaby330xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Grove City, OH
Posts: 76
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post
How long have you had the Dynavin?

'My dynavin volume knob stopped working' and 'the navigation wont load for some reason' but also 'its a great unit and works great'?
I was thinking the same exact thing! Not exactly a glowing review that would instill confidence in a Dynavin.
MyBaby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:01 PM   #17
MyBaby330xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Grove City, OH
Posts: 76
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
The more I hear, the more I think I am leaning towards the Avin Avant 2. I like the looks, it's Android based and from what I can tell Tommy is very receptive to questions and gets back in a timely manner. If I am going to spend a descent chunk of cash, I would prefer to have good Customer Support to lean on.

Anyone have information that should lead me to think otherwise?

Thanks to everyone who has posted to my thread!
MyBaby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:08 AM   #18
Rexii
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 182
My Ride: 2004 BMW 330ci E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
First time I have ever seen anyone make that statement.
Come on, really? The natural HK sound system in the E46 sounds wonderful and clear. A nice balance of treble and bass and it can get pretty darn loud. I've had sound systems in my previous cars that were aftermarket but they don't give me the same kind of sound. Albeit the sound systems were not in the upper echelons of price.

I suppose perhaps you have more of a trained ear to listen out for imperfections? Personally I like what I like, but cannot be called upon to judge the best of the best haha.
__________________
Current Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci Metallic Mystic Blue 50,000Km
Rexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #19
scarede46er
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 1,395
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexii View Post
The natural HK sound system in the E46 sounds wonderful and clear.
No it doesn't. It has no power, so you have high thd at high volumes. The bass does not go low enough and the midrange is bested by a Sony xplod speaker. Only someone who hasn't listened to good equipment will call the stock sound wonderful.

Op- if sq is important to you, pick a JVC or pioneer double din. None of the Chinese equipment you listed will come close in sq or reliability. Admittedly, I haven't listened to or read reviews on the dynavin n6 with the bb DAC.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #20
Rexii
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 182
My Ride: 2004 BMW 330ci E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarede46er View Post
No it doesn't. It has no power, so you have high thd at high volumes. The bass does not go low enough and the midrange is bested by a Sony xplod speaker. Only someone who hasn't listened to good equipment will call the stock sound wonderful.

Op- if sq is important to you, pick a JVC or pioneer double din. None of the Chinese equipment you listed will come close in sq or reliability. Admittedly, I haven't listened to or read reviews on the dynavin n6 with the bb DAC.
Wow - I pump mine really loud, I get great bass and great treble with no distortion at all. But if this is low grade I can only imagine what a high grade would sound like!

OP: When I get the Navall installed tomorrow I'll post how it went and what it's like.
__________________
Current Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci Metallic Mystic Blue 50,000Km
Rexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use