E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #21
A4RingedONE8T
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 236
My Ride: Turbo ///M Roadster
The smaller line is for the FPR and the larger comes off the side of the suction jet pump, it increases vacuum to the brake booster when intake manifold vac is at a minimum. Both need to be connected to a charge pipe pre-throttle body. THEY CAN NOT BE CAPPED OFF!
__________________
A4RingedONE8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #22
A4RingedONE8T
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 236
My Ride: Turbo ///M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar3498 View Post
I have the botch DV install to. The car runs great an the A/F hasn't change but the BOV stays open an extra second if you compared it to turbocharge why is that
A different spring rate is needed for a supercharged car. BOV's that can be used in both a turbo and SC application (Tial Q for example) have an option for a spring specifically for a blower.
__________________
A4RingedONE8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #23
Edgar3498
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 132
My Ride: 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
First you said DV then you said BOV.
Yes my friend i have both install because our cars need the DV and i wanted the ssq bov sound.



Quote:
Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T View Post
A different spring rate is needed for a supercharged car. BOV's that can be used in both a turbo and SC application (Tial Q for example) have an option for a spring specifically for a blower.
So i need to get a stronger spring thats what your saying.
Edgar3498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #24
A4RingedONE8T
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 236
My Ride: Turbo ///M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar3498 View Post
Yes my friend i have both install because our cars need the DV and i wanted the ssq bov sound.

So i need to get a stronger spring thats what your saying.
If you're using a BOV on top of a DV, then any tuning based off the recirculated air is thrown out the window. No reason to have both. Wanting the "sound" is completely the wrong reason to have added a BOV but I won't go there for the sake of saving myself an endless conversation. If you want the sound, ditch the DV, however there was a reason the kit came with a DV. The car is tuned based on the vented air still being present in the system. Add a BOV which vents air out of the system, A/F changes (richer) on shifts and when the valve is open. You say your valve is staying open longer than necessary, that means it's going even richer. This is not something you will see on a wideband unless you're sampling/logging 30 f/s and viewing the data hours after it happened. Plan on replacing those nice expensive FI plugs about 3x as much just for your "sound"

Unless you understand all the aspects of FI, especially on a motor such as the S54, I would suggest not thinking you know better than the manufacturer and run the kit as intend, or take the necessary steps to retune it for the modifications you are adding

-Shawn-
__________________
A4RingedONE8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #25
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
I love how DV and BOV is not the same thing to you guys.

A BOV and a BPV is not thesame, just like how you think open dump sometimes means an wastegate withouth any muffler
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #26
A4RingedONE8T
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 236
My Ride: Turbo ///M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweTurbo View Post
I love how DV and BOV is not the same thing to you guys.

A BOV and a BPV is not thesame, just like how you think open dump sometimes means an wastegate withouth any muffler
A DV is a diverter valve, AKA a recirculating valve. That most definitely is not the same as a BOV
__________________
A4RingedONE8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #27
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T View Post
A DV is a diverter valve, AKA a recirculating valve. That most definitely is not the same as a BOV
Oh , new word to me
I still see people confuse the BPV/BOV and even the dumpvalve(bov) with the wastegate
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use