E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
vassilli0s

My Ride: volvo s40 t5 awd
2000 328i maintenence costs with 150k

Buying my first car, not sure i can afford an e46. What should i be prepared to pay in total including initial maintenence for a standard 328i with 150k? Yearly maintenece costs? Would really appreciate the input of some e46 owners, thanks.
vassilli0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
That's an extremely difficult question to answer. Assuming your car is brand new, maintenance costs are low. Oil change, filter.

But it's not. The entire car is in need of inspection and/or replacement. Front to back, you can Get away with anywhere from $500/$720 to $10,000 for a baseline. Depends how picky you are.

Are you picky?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
vassilli0s

It's gotta have a black exterior, it's gotta be a 328i sedan, and it's gotta have a tan interior.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Put aside $1000 a year average to be safe.
But don't be surprised if something breaks costing you $2000+ depends on if you do the work yourself
Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

E46=cheap to maintain, expensive to repair.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by vassilli0s View Post
It's gotta have a black exterior, it's gotta be a 328i sedan, and it's gotta have a tan interior.
If you're going after this car, then you should double or triple your costs.

Why? Because you shouldn't care nearly as much about color as you do the condition of the car. You also didn't say 'manual,' which are harder to find.

The more conditions you have about unimportant things, odds are you'll take a bigger hit on important things. Pay attention to who the owner was. If it was a 17 year old who put M5 wheels on it...bad news. If you see AM stuff...wires added willy nilly...run. Neon underglow? Run.

Color is unimportant, relatively speaking. After driving this car and 'while' driving it, you won't notice the color of the car or interior...that is, if you're driving properly. Also, if you get a fugly color like mine, then the best thing you can do whenever you see the car is to get inside it, so you don't see it anymore!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
If you're going after this car, then you should double or triple your costs.

Why? Because you shouldn't care nearly as much about color as you do the condition of the car. You also didn't say 'manual,' which are harder to find.

The more conditions you have about unimportant things, odds are you'll take a bigger hit on important things. Pay attention to who the owner was. If it was a 17 year old who put M5 wheels on it...bad news. If you see AM stuff...wires added willy nilly...run. Neon underglow? Run.

Color is unimportant, relatively speaking. After driving this car and 'while' driving it, you won't notice the color of the car or interior...that is, if you're driving properly. Also, if you get a fugly color like mine, then the best thing you can do whenever you see the car is to get inside it, so you don't see it anymore!
DMAX is right. Listen to him. He knows a thing or two about getting inside stuff.. just ask his parts guy, Benn!

Seriously though i need to do that thread. Tonight! i keep telling myself that. Tonight.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
VWmk402

My Ride: E46 328i
may i ask why it is you must have a 328i over a newer 325i or 330i??? just curious, i own a Black Tan interior 00 328i i got the car with a bit under120000 miles so far i have replaced MAF sensor, Tranny Fluid and filter, CAB bushing, new tires still need to buy a o2 sensor and new Control arms ect. is there something about this model that you like?
VWmk402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
dirtbiker245

My Ride: 00 323ci, 02 325i
I had a 323ci, my wife has a 325i. Ive worked on a 330, and my mom has a new 335i. As far as cars are concerned, they all have similiar features, they all have basically the same repair records and if you've worked on one of them, you can work on all of them.

The big things I consider when looking at a used car are that I want maintenance records for the car. Somebody who has ALL records shows that they take pride in their car. Even if they did the work themselves, I want to see receipts for the parts. I also make sure all covers/clips/etc... are still in place. How a mechanic has left the engine compartment tells a lot about how well he did the repairs. Also, I would never buy a car with a service engine soon light. First off, in California, its not legal to sell a car with a service engine soon light on due to smog emissions laws, the car HAS to be able to pass smog. Yes, there is ways around that, but that's your own discretion.

The different models make a difference in the power you will have, and that's all your choice. Whatever you choose, from a mechanics standpoint working on them, they are all basically the same.

The 2007 335i e92's still have the same issues. I just changed a window regulator and its overheating from a bad water pump.

As nice as theses cars are, and as fun to drive, BMW still hasn't figured out how to fix the problems that we ALL have.
dirtbiker245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

Hey dirtbiker, do you have the tools for the rear bushing/balljoint overhaul? drop rear subframe and tackle all the crap in the rear?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
put aside $1000 a year average to be safe.
But don't be surprised if something breaks costing you $2000+ depends on if you do the work yourself
+1
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
dirtbiker245

My Ride: 00 323ci, 02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Hey dirtbiker, do you have the tools for the rear bushing/balljoint overhaul? drop rear subframe and tackle all the crap in the rear?
Yeah, I have the master trailing arm bushing set but I've never had a demand for them. I'll get them up on the site by early next month if you think people are interested in them. I need to take some pictures of the set and figure out pricing.
dirtbiker245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker245 View Post
Yeah, I have the master trailing arm bushing set but I've never had a demand for them. I'll get them up on the site by early next month if you think people are interested in them. I need to take some pictures of the set and figure out pricing.
well i'm local and i'll be interested in them some time soon.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
soccerTOOLsu

My Ride: 325i '02
I just tallied all my costs for my 2002 325i (including wearables . . . Tires, batteries, and Brakes) it has cost me ~$2100 per year to maintain and I'm at 146k miles.

Last edited by soccerTOOLsu; 09-26-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: add info
soccerTOOLsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
megamax

My Ride: 2000 328i
My 2000 328i just topped 175k, and I'm running about $1800 a year in maintenance, doing most work myself. In terms of initial maintenance, obviously depends on the upkeep. At that age, I'd pay attention to the suspension. It's easy to let that stuff go, but you're not going to want to buy a new car (to you) and live with knocking rear shock mounts and poor handling.

Last edited by megamax; 09-26-2012 at 05:18 PM.
megamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
vassilli0s

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I don't have time for a full response, but in short I probably can't afford the car if 8 grand wont buy the car and at least a year of driving.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
How much is the car? I see a 328i going for max maybe $7k... Maybe $8k in perfect shape. I bought my car in April and I'm $1100 into it so far and I have another $2-$2.5k before I'm done for this year. My car is almost at 148k miles too.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
I had to change shocks and springs ( both rear springs were broken near the ends!! $340-), both pulley tensioners(audible bearing noise, $40-), upper and lower cooling hoses(looked bad, don't remember price), all four wheel bearings(lots of noise, don't remember price) , all four rotors (wasn't necessary, $140-), brake pads (were getting low, don't remember price), fuel filter (wasn't necessary), spark plugs (wasn't necessary$60-) and all fluids (except transmission, $100-). This is roughly spread across 2 years and doesn't include oil/filter, wipers, tires. Labor costs not included because I do my own work.
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
With over 150,000 miles I average around $2400 per year on my car including maintenance, wear items (tires, brakes, belts, battery, etc) and the occasional repair.

Last edited by IxNay; 09-27-2012 at 07:49 PM.
IxNay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
luckowski

My Ride: 2001 330
$1-2000.00/ YR is correct. Buy something with <30,000 miles on it. The time without your car while in garage is a huge hassle---bumming rides from people...
luckowski is offline   Reply With Quote