E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Aftermarket Reverse sensors?

Hey everyone,
I was squirreling ebay, and I found this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reversing-Se...item35bdda27d8 for just 20 bucks, I bought from this guy before, and have trust in them. It's just that Does anyone know how difficult it would be to install these? As far as I can guess, here are steps.
Mount hardware [monitors and whatnot] run wiring under carpet, remove rear bumper, drill bumper, install the sensors, and then I would be straight. If that's so, I'm pretty sure I can do this. But should I?

Last edited by aahmed2016; 09-27-2012 at 12:37 AM.
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
I did this DIY on a friend's saloon. I drilled the bumper strip where the OEM sensors mount, conveniently behind that plastic strip, the bumper cover has the necessary holes for the sensor to mount. Right side of the car there's a rubber grommet where you will need to run the wires inside the car. Pretty straightforward
Old 09-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
interesting and tempting.... all you need to do is take out the black wide molding on the rear lower bumper and install them on that... no need to take off entire bumper.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
looks like an advertisement to me?

ooh, it has a double cpu and an advanced chipset
Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
I did this DIY on a friend's saloon. I drilled the bumper strip where the OEM sensors mount, conveniently behind that plastic strip, the bumper cover has the necessary holes for the sensor to mount. Right side of the car there's a rubber grommet where you will need to run the wires inside the car. Pretty straightforward
You think you could do a pictoral DIY, or find one for me? I really want to do this, but I need something to fall back on..
Old 09-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
interesting and tempting.... all you need to do is take out the black wide molding on the rear lower bumper and install them on that... no need to take off entire bumper.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
Yeah looked at a fewDIY's, and decided to do it on the upper trim, I removed it today, for practice.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Haven't taken pictures unfortunately.

1. Remove rear bumper, 2 screws left/right + 2 x T50 bolts seen when you slide under the car, slides out.

2. Remove trunk carpet, backseat cover (if non-foldable seats), battery cover and right side liner

3. Remove bumper strips, pry and pull

4. Drill bumper strips with the correct diameter hole saw, clean the hole from plastic residue and re-install them on bumper

5. Carefully push each sensor into the hole and secure the wires on the bumper with cable ties

6. Run the wires inside the car by punching through the rubber grommet on the right side of the car

7. Secure the control unit above the battery at a convenient spot and connect each sensor on it.

8. The kit requires a tap reverse signal (from +ve reverse light wire, bundled on the right side of the trunk as well), switched positive and ground. Connect ground at the factory ground point, again, on the right side of the trunk. There is no switched positive power in the trunk, so you will have to run a wire into the cabin, along with the rest of the kit's wires, that will go to the cabin panel.

9. Punch through the rubber grommet to gain access to the cabin from trunk. If you can't find the rubber grommet, follow the red battery cable to see where it enters the cabin. Run the wires inside the cabin towards the dash from the right side of the car below the carpeting and covers. Easiest part

10. Remove dash trim, radio, lower steering wheel cover, route the panel wires at a convenient spot and use the supplied double sided tape to secure the panel. (I secured the panel on the steering wheel column, concealing wires too this way)

11. Use a voltmeter to find the radio's switched 12v and tap on that to power on the parking sensor unit.

12. Test and re-install covers etc etc.