E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
DetailDan

My Ride: Jeep
Send a message via AIM to DetailDan
A Note on Tire Dressing/ Tire Shine

YES that is old tire dressing sludge!!!

Everyone loves the look of freshly dressed tires, it really completes the look of the entire detail. However, not all tire dressings are created equal. Most people who use tire dressings are aware of the dreaded sling some of them produce, but the issues donít stop there. This sling off can actually stain paint and plastic parts if left long enough. More importantly, tire manufacturers add antioxidants and antiozonants to the sidewall and tread to help prevent premature aging from ozone and weather exposure. Certain cleaners and tire shines can remove these important components of the tire which can lead to cracking and sidewall failure.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Nick@Autogeek
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailDan View Post

YES that is old tire dressing sludge!!!

Everyone loves the look of freshly dressed tires, it really completes the look of the entire detail. However, not all tire dressings are created equal. Most people who use tire dressings are aware of the dreaded sling some of them produce, but the issues donít stop there. This sling off can actually stain paint and plastic parts if left long enough. More importantly, tire manufacturers add antioxidants and antiozonants to the sidewall and tread to help prevent premature aging from ozone and weather exposure. Certain cleaners and tire shines can remove these important components of the tire which can lead to cracking and sidewall failure.
Not sure which tire dressing you use, but keep it away from my car!

Nick@Autogeek.net
800-869-3011 x215
Facebook--iPhone Apps-- Autogeek Toolbar-- YouTube Channel

Use coupon code Fanatics to save 10% off your next order
Nick@Autogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
DetailDan

My Ride: Jeep
Send a message via AIM to DetailDan
Nick, this is an informational article. Picture was taken during a detail on a customers car and is something I run into often as a professional detailer.

Last edited by DetailDan; 09-26-2012 at 05:02 PM.
DetailDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
RHLP3

My Ride: An office chair
Sooo what should I be using? Is one better than another? Recommendations?
Old 09-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
AndrewBigA
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: QUEENS, NY
ive been using waterbased dressings & have given up on all the gels bc of this reason. great pic & about that sizzling bacon sig pic! i want some bacon! now im hungry & i have to leave for work...

Last edited by AndrewBigA; 09-27-2012 at 06:58 AM.
AndrewBigA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHLP3 View Post
Sooo what should I be using? Is one better than another? Recommendations?
+1

I'd like to have this information too. Not using the wrong 'unnamed' dressings is some good info, but it would be better if you'd said what you use.

You can trust us...we won't tell anyone!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Wow that is incredible, throw that product away!

I HIGHLY recommend the TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit to anyone who wants a water based dressing that will last months! I've used so many different options this is easily the most durable choice that is good for rubber as well. Check out some of these articles about this kit:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...tuf-shine-inc/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ire-shine-kit/

As always we offer 10% off (code 10offe46) OR $4.99 s/h min spend $49 (code DI499) OR Free S/H min spend $149 (code DIFREE). Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Greg@DetailedImage.com is online now   Reply With Quote