E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
BB BMW

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP
Has Anyone Found the Fix for the Mixture Preparation codes?

Has anyone found their fix for the mixture preparation bank 1 & 2 codes?

I've been chasing this for about two months now. Read most all of post on this.

Replaced air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, lower intake boot and cleaned the MAF.
Also checked for other vacuum leaks with no success.

Would the CCV have anything to do with these code? I haven't located any cracked are broken hoses, but it is due to be replaced at 104k.

Any other suggestion appreciated.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
BB BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
-Ross-

My Ride: I can breathe
https://www.google.com/search?q=e46f...+1+%26+2+codes
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #3
BB BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossGuy View Post
Is GOOGLE the answer to everything?

I'm not looking for the code, I'm looking for the FIX.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
-Ross-

My Ride: I can breathe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB BMW View Post
Is GOOGLE the answer to everything?

I'm not looking for the code, I'm looking for the FIX.
Yes, it is!

So you went through every thread in that link and didn't find the answer?

I guarantee you don't have some one off problem that has never happened before to anyone.
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
You need to read the first 2 links below in my signature.

Need to see Freeze Frame info if the SES/CEL/MIL is on and Fuel Trim values at both warm idle and a steady highway cruise between 45-60 MHP.

Read this thread - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1057387

Read my "BMW 20 Questions" comments in this thread - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1059972

Search YouTube for Scotty Smoke Test. Do what Scotty does or build a tester from related video. Remove the oil fill cap and make sure the crankcase fills up with smoke, put the oil fill cap back on and check for leaks around the valve cover, oil fill cap, dipstick tube and CCV hoses.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
BB BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossGuy View Post
Yes, it is!

So you went through every thread in that link and didn't find the answer?

I guarantee you don't have some one off problem that has never happened before to anyone.
I understand my problem is not unique, but -

Reading many of the GOOGLE post, they say anything from crankshaft position Sensor, exhaust sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter, MAF, air filter, CCV oil separator, OFHG, vacuum leak, etc.

That's why I had hoped someone on here that had actually found the fix for their mixture preparation code. I'm not into just throwing money at the problem and randomly replacing parts.

But thanks for the suggestion, i did read some nice info about others problems with replacing parts and wrecked hands after.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
jfoj

At the risk of coming off a bit arrogant, I will and can anyway.

You are shopping for answers on a 11-12 year old car that likely needs every piece of plastic and rubber under the hood that carries vacuum replaced. This is called "maintenance".

Also there are MANY different problems that can cause the same codes.

The problem is not likely a sensor with a wire connected to it, but you have to "diagnose" the problem and if you really want help, provide more than just a description of the code(s) and LISTEN to those who seem to have the correct answers and information.

I gave you the keys to the Kingdom, use them and use them wisely or you should go and sort your problem without our help and input.

Since your car is a 2004, I would replace the fuel pump and filter just because, but I doubt these are the source of your specific problem. Replace them because you will be walking at some point of you don't.

GL.

BTW, I see you are looking to buy a Peake Reader, if you still want/need one, I will consider selling mine. But FYI, this is NOT the tool you need for your current problem. You need an OBDII smart phone App and interface for $30 or less. I was fooled into buying a Peake Reader many years ago and lets say it is in PRISTINE condition!

I also see your car is a 2004, if I had the exact Pxxxx codes and Freeze Frame data, this might indicate the DME may need to be reflashed.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Last edited by jfoj; 03-19-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #8
BB BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
At the risk of coming off a bit arrogant, I will and can anyway.

You are shopping for answers on a 11-12 year old car that likely needs every piece of plastic and rubber under the hood that carries vacuum replaced. This is called "maintenance".

Also there are MANY different problems that can cause the same codes.

The problem is not likely a sensor with a wire connected to it, but you have to "diagnose" the problem and if you really want help, provide more than just a description of the code(s) and LISTEN to those who seem to have the correct answers and information.

I gave you the keys to the Kingdom, use them and use them wisely or you should go and sort your problem without our help and input.

Since your car is a 2004, I would replace the fuel pump and filter just because, but I doubt these are the source of your specific problem. Replace them because you will be walking at some point of you don't.

GL.

BTW, I see you are looking to buy a Peake Reader, if you still want/need one, I will consider selling mine. But FYI, this is NOT the tool you need for your current problem. You need an OBDII smart phone App and interface for $30 or less. I was fooled into buying a Peake Reader many years ago and lets say it is in PRISTINE condition!

I also see your car is a 2004, if I had the exact Pxxxx codes and Freeze Frame data, this might indicate the DME may need to be reflashed.
You are and do.

Once again I appreciate your knowledge. But if you had read my post, and I would assume that you had, I've already replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump along with the lower intake boot and checked for a vacuum leak. The fuel filter and pump were replaced way before the mixture preparation codes showed up. Maybe a few thousand miles or so. However many like yourself point to bad pumps or clogged filters and suggest replacement. DONE.

No longer looking for the peak code reader. As stated to you before I do not have access to freeze frame info that you say everyone should post to you so you can decipher their problem. Not everyone has the time or experience to buy code readers and log freeze frame info on everything from idle speed to temp at idle and under load. I do understand that this would be of great assistance to me and for others to help me. However at this point, I do not have that capability.

So.....all I can do is post the codes I read and what I have replaced or done to solve my issues. The keys to the kingdom do not seem to fit every lock.

Do I need the OBDII smart phone App and interface to extract Pxxx codes? or would the BMW PA soft scanner provide that? It only shows mixture preparation Bank 1 & 2.

What is the process for reflashing the DME?

So until I get an OBDII smart phone App and interface, I am limited to the info I can provide. But I'm sure others have solved their mixture preparation problem without this info. (ie: I replaced my lower intake boot that had a split or crack in it and the SES light went away and no more coeds).

Keep up the suggestions...

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #9
jfoj

Quote:
You are and do.

Once again I appreciate your knowledge. But if you had read my post, and I would assume that you had, I've already replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump along with the lower intake boot and checked for a vacuum leak. The fuel filter and pump were replaced way before the mixture preparation codes showed up. Maybe a few thousand miles or so. However many like yourself point to bad pumps or clogged filters and suggest replacement. DONE.

No longer looking for the peak code reader. As stated to you before I do not have access to freeze frame info that you say everyone should post to you so you can decipher their problem. Not everyone has the time or experience to buy code readers and log freeze frame info on everything from idle speed to temp at idle and under load. I do understand that this would be of great assistance to me and for others to help me. However at this point, I do not have that capability.

So.....all I can do is post the codes I read and what I have replaced or done to solve my issues. The keys to the kingdom do not seem to fit every lock.

Do I need the OBDII smart phone App and interface to extract Pxxx codes? or would the BMW PA soft scanner provide that? It only shows mixture preparation Bank 1 & 2.

What is the process for reflashing the DME?

So until I get an OBDII smart phone App and interface, I am limited to the info I can provide. But I'm sure others have solved their mixture preparation problem without this info. (ie: I replaced my lower intake boot that had a split or crack in it and the SES light went away and no more coeds).

Keep up the suggestions...
Not sure if you are cheap or lazy???

I did not spend time researching all your posts, I help some many people here and other forums I do not have time to research every single thing someone has done to their car.

Get $30 out of your pocket, spend it on an OBDII smart phone App and interface and deal with the learning curve, PLENTY of others do it. PA Soft sucks for drivability issues, it is pretty much useless.

Learn how to do your own research, learn how to use the proper tools or you need to pay someone to fix your car.

As for DME flash, see your local dealer and get about $175-$250 out of your pocket. No guarantee this will solve the problem, this is why the SPECIFIC and EXACT info is helpful. But i would be hesitant to send you this direction, because I can see it being MY fault if the DME flash did not resolve YOUR problem!

Again, you keep shopping for answers and solutions and do not want to put forth any efforts, so I recommend you visit your local dealer and pay them to fix your car.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Has Anyone Found the Fix for the Mixture Preparation codes?

Quote:
... But i would be hesitant to send you this direction, because I can see it being MY fault if the DME flash did not resolve YOUR problem...

I just shot a little beer through my nose on that one, thanks jfoj for the "help"

^^Blue Ridge Parkway^^ '03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.

Last edited by Yewzer B Lewzer; 03-20-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #11
BB BMW

Quote:
Not sure if you are cheap or lazy???

I did not spend time researching all your posts, I help some many people here and other forums I do not have time to research every single thing someone has done to their car.

Get $30 out of your pocket, spend it on an OBDII smart phone App and interface and deal with the learning curve, PLENTY of others do it. PA Soft sucks for drivability issues, it is pretty much useless.

Learn how to do your own research, learn how to use the proper tools or you need to pay someone to fix your car.

As for DME flash, see your local dealer and get about $175-$250 out of your pocket. No guarantee this will solve the problem, this is why the SPECIFIC and EXACT info is helpful. But i would be hesitant to send you this direction, because I can see it being MY fault if the DME flash did not resolve YOUR problem!

Again, you keep shopping for answers and solutions and do not want to put forth any efforts, so I recommend you visit your local dealer and pay them to fix your car.
Just how old are you?

I know you think you are so much older and smarter than any other member on here. While I must agree you are very knowledgeable about the E46 and may have helped many here and other sites, telling everyone they need to post freeze data doesn't work for many. A lot of members are looking for past experience from owners with the same problem and how they resolved it.

THIS POST STATED what I have already done. I guess you didn't bother to read THIS POST.

I'm neither cheap or lazy. If I were either, I would not be on here doing my own DIY's. I bow to the fact that I may need to pay someone else to fix certain issues, but if it is something I can do, I'm more than willing to do the research and do it myself. Otherwise I would not be wasting my time asking for suggestions from other DIY'ers. You are probably the most experienced on here, but you are not the most helpful. I'm sure many view you as the DIY god, I see you as arrogant & socially inept. The way you spout off some things is just not helpful to anyone. If you had it in you, you could step back and try to understand others point of views. Also, it wouldn't hurt to make suggestions, like have you checked for vacuum leaks, or cleaned the MAF instead of thinking everyone with a BMW and a problem should get an OBDii reader and post up the entire freeze frame information so you could see it. How many members do you think are in a position to do this?

How many others have blamed you for bad info? It must have happened in you earlier childhood years, but it's OK, you can still grow out of it. I for one, wouldn't blame anyone for making a helpful suggestion.

Can I barrow $250? (now that would be helpful)

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #12
BB BMW

I there a similar reader that will plug into your laptop and do the same things as the one suggested below?

I would be more interested in a unit that connects to my laptop and reads all of the data, also easier to see ad read than from my iphone.

OBDFusion and a Wifi to OBDII interface such as this -

http://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Wirele...327+WIFI+PRIME

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
jfoj

Almost 2 years and NOTHING has changed

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=994606

There appears to be some magical idea that it you get a light on the dashboard, you connect a BMW tool and it tells you what the problem is and how to fix it.

The real world does not work this way. BMW tools are usually not good enough for drivability issues anyway.

IF you would have purchased a tool 2 years ago, you would know how to use it and have more data.

Data is what solves the problems, not the codes. Codes are just BLATANT warning flags. Even if you do not have a SES/CEL/MIL on, this does not mean everything is fine with the car.

Good luck to you, I am bowing out, wasted too much of my time on you over the past few years. Like I stated, you are like dealing with one of my kids, never can get a straight answers, they never listen, so you just let them figure things out for themselves!

Old 03-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #14
BB BMW

Quote:
Almost 2 years and NOTHING has changed

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=994606

There appears to be some magical idea that it you get a light on the dashboard, you connect a BMW tool and it tells you what the problem is and how to fix it.

The real world does not work this way. BMW tools are usually not good enough for drivability issues anyway.

IF you would have purchased a tool 2 years ago, you would know how to use it and have more data.

Data is what solves the problems, not the codes. Codes are just BLATANT warning flags. Even if you do not have a SES/CEL/MIL on, this does not mean everything is fine with the car.

Good luck to you, I am bowing out, wasted too much of my time on you over the past few years. Like I stated, you are like dealing with one of my kids, never can get a straight answers, they never listen, so you just let them figure things out for themselves!
Thank You

You sound like a great father.

30 something huh?

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #15
jfoj

Quote:
Thank You

You sound like a great father.

30 something huh?
Not sure why my age really matters. You are likely a generation short in your estimate.

I have been working on cars longer than most of the current batch of E46 owners have been alive and I have kids in college and they are doing quite well due to the fact they were always give help when needed, but never given answers.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #16
dcmsnd

My Ride: 325
This thread is sad. People should be thankful that we have jfoj here...
dcmsnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:00 PM   #17
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
...are doing quite well due to the fact they were always give help when needed, but never given answers.

Exactly this.

^^Blue Ridge Parkway^^ '03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #18
BB BMW

I'm thankful for many things.
I'm even thankful for jfoj. He has helped me out in the past like many others.

Your age doesn't really matter, just the fact that you stated that you were many years older than most on this site with far more mechanical experience than others. I probably am older also. We are probably close to the same age, although I work in a different field than you. This is one reason I take exception to some of your comments. I'm no spring chicken and do not like condescending comments when someone does not even know me. Anyway.....

Answers are one of the many ways to learn. Not having someone just do the work for you. I was brought up to do things for myself, but knowing in some cases I would need to ask for help.

I don't consider this thread sad, I see it as a learning curve. I do what I can with what I have to work with. However, I will be getting me an OBDII scanner that will read freeze frame data knowing it will help me in the future and help others help me with issues.

Moving on from there, I need recommendations on an OBDII scanner that works from a laptop and windows XP. Using the smart phone app sounds good, but way to small of a screen. As stated before I already have the BMW scanner 1.4 w/PA soft, but obvious this does not do what I need. Looking for a direct connection, not Bluetooth.

If anyone wants to suggest one that would be great.

jfoj - waiting for your input also.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #19
jfoj

Not sure why I continue to hit my head on the wall.

Here is what you are missing, the iPhone or smart phone Apps can be a bit hard to see at times, however, they can generate reports and logs that can be emailed or some of the Apps now have direct links for DropBox uploading.

Also do not get an idea that you will EVER graph in an App or program. Most in App or program graphing SUX. You will want to export the graph data as a .csv file and graph it in an external program. A bit of a PITA, but well worth it in the long run.

If you really think your 10 year old laptop battery will hold up for logging purposes and the USB cable is long enough to reach your passenger seat while you drive around with a laptop flopping around, more power to you. I have done this and it really SUX.

If you have an iPad or other tablet these can be used with smart phone Apps as well. Even Kindle or Nook can be used for some of the App.

It is SO easy and convenient to have a $15 interface in the console or the door and if something happens or you need to log some data, everything is right there in the car with you. Also these Apps are non BMW specific so they can be used for all the cars in the household or friends and family.

There is a reason there is a BIG market for the smart phone Apps, there is a LOT of power in a smart phone, they are small and most folks have them at all times.

If you really want a PC based solution, this is not bad, it has some limitations, but works well - http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-42300...ywords=Elmscan

You should really read this thread as well, I have not updated it in a while but it gives you an idea as to what is out there -

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=elmscan

Last edited by jfoj; 03-22-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #20
dcmsnd

My Ride: 325
+1 jfoj

I have my ELM connected nonstop and im using spare iPhone as log "machine". So i start the car, run app and drive. When i shut the car, file is stored in my fone and i`ll just mail it and spend 5 minutes in excel to make few grahps.

I was logging data with my old EEE PC (batter up to 5hrs) but its not very practical driving with obd2cable and notebook when u have passengers in the car and of course, there are some limitations for software logging as you mentioned.
dcmsnd is offline   Reply With Quote