E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
ak90 review from an actual US bmw owner e46 ews 3

I know I know. I was just as skeptical as most of you, even as I type this thread up. It sounded too good to be true, and not to mention, there's very little reviews or forum members who have acknowledged that this product works. I have even seen people posting on some other site that they tried this and it didn't work. Perhaps I may be able to help clear things up.

I'm a fairly new member, however, I assure you, I have no affiliations to ak90. I'm an e46 fanatic and I can prove this to you by directing you to my craigslist ad that I have for the san francisco bay area website under auto parts. There, I offer my service to program and code features into peoples system for a very low price. At first, I offered it for free. Although I actually didn't get any requests, which I thought was odd (maybe people thought it was too good to be true and weird someone would do it for free), my girlfriend yelled at me saying I was dumb for offering it for free and that I needed to get paid for my time. So I posted it for $20, which believe it or not I'm flooded with requests. Anyways, I'm a real person and you can feel free to confirm that by finding my ad under craigslist, emailing me for programming, and I'll provide you my number to call me.

Anyways, this isn't a DIY, more like a statement confirming to all us diehard bimmer owners who hate having to know that the only way of getting a key synced up to our ews in order to start it was with the gangster affiliation BMW. I've only been to the dealership a couple times, to get must needed parts in emergency situations. other than that, from the rumors I've heard about them, I hate them, but love their cars. So I'll post some pics showing you the product with my ews. I swear to you that this works.

Oh yeah, for those that said it doesn't work, I would've agreed with you when I attempted this blindly, before finding the manual online (it didn't come with one oddly). After plugging the cable up to that chip thing (MCU?), it didn't recognize my ews. But after staring at my ews for the longest, I couldn't understand why this coating, that looked like gooey oil was on it. Then common sense hit me, it must be a protective coating. No other reason why it would be just smothered on the unit. Then looking at the mcu chip, I thought to myself, what if that coating that can barely be seen coating the metal contacts also prevent metal to metal connections. Taking out my trusted razar blade, I started scraping at the metal contacts (I was a little scared doing so since I prayed it didn't mess my ews up). After taking a deep breath, I plugged it in again and voila! Presto! it recognized it. I then went over the manual, followed instructions and boom! It coded it. I ran straight to a locksmith who advertised that they cut bmw keys and 30 minutes later (after having a little difficulty getting a new key in just right to turn the ignition) it started my car. I scream for joy and cursed all the cursed words I could at BMW (They weren't present to defend themselves). F Yeah! Baby. Us EWS 2/3/4 BMW owners have freed our bonds from their enslaving a@@ mofos! In your face!

I bought my bmw key from eBay (Yeah yeah, I know, some of you also don't approve of ebay but that's where I do my shopping). After price searching, I was iffy on buying a key from china, like many of us. I set some guidelines about this. First, I wanted to make sure they had competitive pricing. 2nd, I wanted to make sure they warranty their product, and had a refund policy. 3rd, I wanted them to be in the US (or as close to me as possible so I can get it quick) so worse case scenario, I could drive there and choke them out for my money back. After an hour or so debating between china's cheap prices and peace of mind, I decided to go with the US seller, which was located in Sparks, Nevada. They had good pricing, $70 and a warranty against all non working keys. I felt safe. Plus I'm sure it wouldn't take me long to get to where they were at if need be. #remoteoverstock was the seller I purchased mine from. Again, I got it in 2 days, it looked new, and I tested it right away (because I just hear so many stories about bunk keys) to make sure the transponder was blank. It was. It only took me about 30 minutes to get my key synced to my ews.

so trust me when I say this, buy from a trusted US seller that will guarantee you your money back (that and you can it very quick), and the ak90 works (I also bought this from a seller who guaranteed my money back if it didn't, and they were in continuous contact with me so great customer service. although I bought it from china, I think I got it in 1 day, or was it 2? no more than 2 I know that for sure)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 09-28-2012 at 04:59 AM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

Oh. I'll post pics in a second. My laptop is about to die. gotta charge it.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
NumbaOneNewb

Pictures like i promised

If you're wondering where I got my key from, this ebay seller can be found at remoteoverstock I only searched around on ebay because after 200 transactions with them, nothing has ever gone wrong. That place had from what I noticed the best price with a great warranty and refund policy. This being my very first blank key purchase, I was suspicious of all who claim to have the key I need and I wanted to make sure I could get my money back if something wasn't right. It's up to you how and where you put your money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20120927_191822.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	471393   Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20120927_191750.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	471394   Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20120927_191659.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	471395   Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20120927_191716.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	471396  

Name:	rps20120927_191636.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	471397   Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20120927_191807.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	471398  

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 10-24-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
E46-Cabrio

My Ride: E46 330CI Cabrio
Ofcourse it's working, I'm using EWS Editor Lite (Chinese Clone) and the whole process takes a few minutes, adding new key's and deleting lost key's from the EWS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EWS Editor Lite.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	471400  
E46-Cabrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #5
NumbaOneNewb

Ak90

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46-Cabrio View Post
Ofcourse it's working, I'm using EWS Editor Lite (Chinese Clone) and the whole process takes a few minutes, adding new key's and deleting lost key's from the EWS.
Oh I didn't know you could delete keys off the EWS. I'll definitely fiddle with that option. I just wrote and confirmed that it was working because there are very few reviews or threads on EWS key writing hardware. I saw 1 DIY guide using the EWS Editor Lite. None with ak90.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
L3MONz

My Ride: 2003 325i
So how much did you spend on this task overall? I'm kind of iffy about this whole process because knowing me, things like this would usually go wrong
Old 09-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
NumbaOneNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3MONz View Post
So how much did you spend on this task overall? I'm kind of iffy about this whole process because knowing me, things like this would usually go wrong
I thought something would go wrong too but it was actually pretty straight forward. Like the other guy said, it takes only minutes to do. My first time it didn't, lol but if I was to do it again, if you don't count the time it takes to remove the ews unit, which doesn't take that long, it does literally take minutes.
Cost wise? Like i said. I paid a little more for peace of mind, being my first purchase for a blank key and the ak90. I wanted to make sure whoever I bought it from would refund my money back if something didn't work. If i was to buy both units again, I'd do the same. You're just never too sure about these very specific and particular pieces of electronics. The uy who said he used ews lite said it was a Chinese clone and it worked. Although mine was from China as well, I don't know if who he bought it from had a return policy. It's up to you how much it's worth it to you for peace of mind.
Oh yeah, lol. Total cost. AK90 with full refund policy and free shipping (got it in 2 days) $115. Bmw blank key diamond shaped remote with full refund policy free shipping (got it in 2 days) $70. Key cut: $30. Total: $215. To explain why I chose to invest so much. I have an ad on craigslist to code keys (now that I can do it as well as code and program). I do it as a hobby but do charge for my time, an average of $20. This device should pay for itself, because I known there's a need for cheaper keys made. If someone really needed a spare key and didn't want to pay a whole lot, I would tell them to get the key without remote. I think you can get it for under $15. I'm sure its cheaper to cut, even though technically the only thing that changed was the remote, which has nothing to do with the key blade, so let's just say $25. Total, $60 I would guess if someone opted me to do it. You can even get things for cheaper. You going the all Chinese route with no refund policy. Had I done that, I would guess the total would be around $175 or less with unknown shipping time. For those only doing this as a 1 time thing, although cheaper than dealership wouldn't be that much cheaper.

Does anybody know how much bmw charges for the remote key service?
Old 09-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
NumbaOneNewb

I see you're in Sacramento. I could do it for $20 if you get your own key and come to me in San Jose. Cutting it can be done for $30 through a locksmith here or pick your own.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
I got my key for $127 which was the cheapest oem price I have found from dealers.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
NumbaOneNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
I got my key for $127 which was the cheapest oem price I have found from dealers.
Any type of discount applied? How long ago was this and did you know them personally?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
NumbaOneNewb

For a second, I thought I was going to have to take back everything I said about the ak90 and messing with the ews. The last 24 hours have not been cool. My car all of a sudden didn't want to start, it cranked but wouldn't turn over. I connect to the system and eventually, the dtc tell me the ews code is implausible, making me think I really screwed things up (eventually I found out that if the ews had blocked me, I don't think it would've been cranked). Turns out it was my fuel pump. Thank goodness because I was doing all sorts of ews mcu manipulation that i thought for sure would screw everything up.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
Thats cool. I bought the key without the remote on ebay from a seller out of Illinois for a total of $12. It came with a "virgin transponder pellet" thats what they called it. Since I was using it for my remote start key, I didn't need the remote. But to get it programmed cost me $120. I didn't even go through the dealer. I called up a bunch of locksmiths until I found one who had the equipment to cut and program the key. I should have just programmed it and not cut it now that I think about it. Anyways, that ak90 deal is a good investment if you plan on programming some keys. Thanks for the info.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:55 AM   #13
NumbaOneNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzovs View Post
Thats cool. I bought the key without the remote on ebay from a seller out of Illinois for a total of $12. It came with a "virgin transponder pellet" thats what they called it. Since I was using it for my remote start key, I didn't need the remote. But to get it programmed cost me $120. I didn't even go through the dealer. I called up a bunch of locksmiths until I found one who had the equipment to cut and program the key. I should have just programmed it and not cut it now that I think about it. Anyways, that ak90 deal is a good investment if you plan on programming some keys. Thanks for the info.
Yeah no prob. $120? Ouch, but I guess even for a grand total of $132 + tax, it's better than a dealership price. Wait, non remote? Maybe more than dealership but I'd rather give my money to a small business than bmw any day. They just raped me for $400 for a fuel pump today. I could've gotten one online for half the price but would've waited up to another 5 days days to get it. I couldn't wait that long while my baby was out of commission.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #14
omiecarrasco

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Yeah no prob. $120? Ouch, but I guess even for a grand total of $132 + tax, it's better than a dealership price. Wait, non remote? Maybe more than dealership but I'd rather give my money to a small business than bmw any day. They just raped me for $400 for a fuel pump today. I could've gotten one online for half the price but would've waited up to another 5 days days to get it. I couldn't wait that long while my baby was out of commission.
I sent you a PM, Im in Sac and I am interested in getting a key made. I will be in San Jose this weekend Oct 6th, lemme know if you have a key for sale, and a locksmith that can cut one there and if you can reprogram my key.

Omar
omiecarrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #15
NumbaOneNewb

I dont have any on hand. I can save you $10 if we have a locksmith by me cut it. They actually program bmw keys too but their asking price without key I think is $120. That's where I come in. Anyways I just messaged you. And if possible, if I do help you, a post on here confirming the procedure works would help boost others confidence in trying this themselves.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #16
NumbaOneNewb

I'll also be writing a DIY on the ak90 as well. Maybe a step by step process will solidify e46 owners confidence in this so they can do this themselves, provide a service for others around them. I want to be able to rob as much money away from bmw as possible, just like what they do to me.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #17
Lionelski

My Ride: 325CIc
I read all of this, but I'm still lost.
Can someone tell me what a ak90 is/does?
Is it just a new key?

Sport Package, Premium Package
Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace
Conforti Shark Injector, Conforti CAI
Interior: Leather, Euro Tray, M3 Dead Pedal
Lionelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
NumbaOneNewb: Do you know if this is a possible fix with the ak90: Lets say the EWS module took a dump on you. When you replace it, would the ak90 be able to program the keys you had programmed on your old EWS? Or would you need all new keys as well as the new EWS? I was just curious.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
NumbaOneNewb

m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelski View Post
I read all of this, but I'm still lost.
Can someone tell me what a ak90 is/does?
Is it just a new key?
My diy that i hopefully will have out by tomorrow should explain more. What it does is codes information needed by your key so that the chip (transponder) emits a particular code your ews system will recognize and allow the fuel pump and starter to operate, in turn allowing you to drive your car.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #20
NumbaOneNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzovs View Post
NumbaOneNewb: Do you know if this is a possible fix with the ak90: Lets say the EWS module took a dump on you. When you replace it, would the ak90 be able to program the keys you had programmed on your old EWS? Or would you need all new keys as well as the new EWS? I was just curious.
From the research that I've done, perhaps the few companies out there that exist may be able to repair or refurbish that ews unit. I think my it costs around $700? Don't quote me on that. The other alternative is to purchase matching dme ews keys, locks and have someone code it. Hopefully not bmw because your butt is going to be sore after they done with that a$$.

I'm not saying it's impossible but all my googling has only come up with information claiming a ews goes hand in hand with a dme. No possible way to separate or replace one without the other. I would assume if the company that repairs your ews to allow you to reuse all your keys and not change anything is doing something they're not telling anybody. I would have to assume maybe they remove the mcu chip on the ews and transfer it over to a new unit. If that's all that it requires, a semi skilled person at soldering may accomplish this. I know they can't have access to something that one of us couldn't get a hold of.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 10-04-2012 at 08:45 PM.