E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #41
mousa 2003 bmw

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
at the begining i actualy wanted a whole key but when i heard it was a fake i decided to use it for parts but then as you can seethe parts dont even match so im returning it , and i already ordered two batteries online for 9 dollars, and i found a couple of videos on youtube explainig how to replace the battery .
mousa 2003 bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #42
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
You telling me all this got me worried. Lol. I went back to the order placed to look over all the info. The one I bought didn't claim to be oem or genuine bmw so I can't blame them for what I got. All they pretty much guaranteed was that it was virgin transponder with a new battery with full warranty. That's pretty much what I did get and I'm also sure if I had bought one from China, it most likely would've been the exact same as this one but hey, it worked for me.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #43
mousa 2003 bmw

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
what drove me insane was that they claimed it was genuine and charged me 69 for a piece of crap knock off
mousa 2003 bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #44
NumbaOneNewb

How much did you pay for the one you bought from them?
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #45
NumbaOneNewb

Im looking over your pictures again. That's so weird. I mean, look at the oem one. There are just so much more things soldered on to that board than that fake one. Like.... If it even worked, how could it? What about all those missing parts? Now I can. Understand if they didn't use the rechargeable battery and hardware but just that alone couldn't possibly be what's making up what's missing.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #46
KKB-BMW

My Ride: 2004 330ci six speed
Key cut local ?

I have never had to make a BMW key.. I now have a newer ride and it came with only one key with fob that didn't work but I re-synced it So I can buy a blank with no remote as a back up key for cheap on ebay and have it cut locally? Though only BMW dealer had the special key cutter Thanks
KKB-BMW
KKB-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #47
NumbaOneNewb

Technically its not a special cutter in terms of laser or anything, or so I've been told. Anyways, yes, you can buy a blank with no electronics but the shell can still be the diamond shaped fob key, unless you want even cheaper, go get the regular key or even the plastic key. Just know you can't start the car without electronics or transferring the guts over.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #48
NumbaOneNewb

oYeah my local locksmith only charged me $30 to have it cut. Hey Mousa? Your friend who programmed it, or at least tried to. What software did he use? Did he work for bmw because as far as I know bmw can't do it. Most locksmiths also aren't capable either for they specialize in cutting, not computer software. Who did this for you?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #49
NumbaOneNewb

I just received a response from the person at remoteoverstock and he has explained his case and will have his stores link re added back to the thread. The seller has done nothing wrong. I too have never claimed that the remote was a genuine oem bmw key. The reason I got the seller told me made sense. Technically, only bmw themselves are the only ones who can provide real oem keys. Any other seller who claims to be able to sell you uncut virgin blank keys as oem would in fact be lying. This thread was never written for the purpose of providing anybody with oem keys. It was to show how you could make your own without having to go to bmw. I did exact that and neither intended to push or advertise any of the product being used. I was only providing a step by step guide on what worked for me, and if you did exactly what I did, I'm sure the results would be the same. Again, I found the seller to have not done anything wrong, nor ever claim to have authentic virgn keys. The product was described exactly as what I got in the mail. I was simply seeking a seller who guaranteed their product, which he did. He has told me on multiple accounts a refund was granted to Mousa but complication had occurred but i will not release any further details. The seller has been invited to the thread to defend his case further if he wishes to clear his name however, please both of you keep in mind this would not be the appropriate setting to carry out a full blown disagreement on.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #50
NumbaOneNewb

After personally investigating this matter myself, the link to the seller's store has been added back as a link I still would buy from again. Mousa, if you feel that there's still an issue with this, feel free to contact the seller or me. I can mediate for the both of you in this case. I however have not found the seller of any wrong doing.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 10-25-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #51
NumbaOneNewb

With the tech that is currently on its way to my doorstep, all and everything related to new keys, used keys, new ews, used ews will be possible. please visit my other thread 13 yr old bmw ews tech about to be destroyed.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #52
NastyEM3

My Ride: M3
I saw this post and had to share my experience with remoteoverstock on eBay. After purchasing the "great deal" key, my locksmith couldn't get it to program and said it almost shorted out his equipment. Needless to say he was pissed and told me to stay away from these keys and I recommend the same.
Good luck.
NastyEM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #53
NumbaOneNewb

What hardware did your locksmith use if you would happen to know? How was your locksmith programming the key? Did he remove the ews or connected straight through k line? If there's an issue, i need to know so i can contact tbe fuy and once again question the reliability of his product. This thread is originally about the ak90, not the key itself. I didn't have any issues. Im also not sure how a key "shorts" out equipment. Did he use some sory of handheld device or was it connected to a laptop like myself? Why is it that people are using this thread in reference to a damn stupid key. This thread was about making your own key. Why are people taking it to locksmiths? If that was the case anybody selling a virgin key would have been just as good.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #54
mikes323ci

My Ride: 323CI
ell you got my business sir! So glad to come across your blog...

Hi im from South San francisco and was actually waiting for stealer to get back to me about pricing on a transponder key and programming.

Soon as i find a blank key will get back to you for the rest. Maybe you should buy wholesale blanks so you can be our one stop shop!?

Will be one of your first loyal customer
mikes323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #55
NumbaOneNewb

Lol. Its not worth it. Not many people ask for keys to be done. I have a blank transponder and an oem remote which I desoldered the transponder off. Im not sure if battery still holds a charge. Anyways you should be able to find yourself a remote key online for cheap. Maybe no more than $40. If you want a non remote, with transponder should only be around $20
Old 03-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #56
pppham

My Ride: 740il S500 330CiC
Hi NumbaOneNewb, I have read and view most of you posting, still need your help to confirm. AK90 can and will work for ANY BMW keys (old or new) or it just for the diamond key? Have you have any luck with EWS4?
pppham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #57
NumbaOneNewb

I haven't had any experience or haven't used it at all on any ews4 but I see no reason why, as long as the specific instructions are followed, that it shouldn't work. the cables came with the hardware necessary to perform any of the tasks I did in my DIY for an ews4. I'm assuming your 7 series has the ews4 then? If I had a car with an ews 4, I'd definitely experiment. again, as long as you follow the instructions from what the ak90 tells you to do on an ews4, I don't see any harm coming to your car. I've pressed almost all the buttons available on the ak90 on my, or other test ews units with no issues.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 03-23-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #58
NumbaOneNewb

as far as old or new keys, i don't think it really matters actually. The ak90 was created to program 2 types of transponders. the 100eml transponder, the one that I saw soldered to most Diamond shaped bmw e46 keys (I actually unsoldered it and will be trying to solder in a known working transponder to it but I believe this has been done before) and the one that is plentiful, the 7935. all the non oem keys that I have bought online came with the 7935. they can also be bought for around $8 each. I think that as long as the ews unit was setup to accept such a transponder, then those are the 2 known types to work with our cars. (I'm going to also assume that if its an oem key but non remote, I'm almost positive it uses a 7935 transponder because it seems the 100eml was only used when it was soldered to something. I've seen OEM e39 keys, with the 7935 )
Old 07-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #59
Bill Kabage

My Ride: 2002325ci
drivers door airbag light, talk to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
I'll also be writing a DIY on the ak90 as well. Maybe a step by step process will solidify e46 owners confidence in this so they can do this themselves, provide a service for others around them. I want to be able to rob as much money away from bmw as possible, just like what they do to me.
I couldn't find you on craigslist SFbayarea I have a 2002 325ci my phone # is 209-556-7476 please call me !
Bill Kabage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:19 AM   #60
kilotango

My Ride: '00 330Ci
i know this is an old thread, and i apologise for reviving it...

i've been doing research into making myself a spare key with transponder for my E46 the last few weeks, and have successfully managed to do this recently.. so i just wanted to clarify a few things which may concern others who visit this thread for info.

i believe that the main reason the original BMW keys have so many components in them, as compared to the EBAY type keys, are mainly because the OEM keys have a rechargeable battery in them.. which the aftermarket keys dont use. The OEM keys recharge from the ignition module, and this requires additional components in the key to allow this.

Aftermarket keys still have the same basic components though to allow the key to work in the car. a transponder (which doesnt need any battery power to work) and a remote locking module (which does need a battery to work).

as for this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEM3 View Post
I saw this post and had to share my experience with remoteoverstock on eBay. After purchasing the "great deal" key, my locksmith couldn't get it to program and said it almost shorted out his equipment. Needless to say he was pissed and told me to stay away from these keys and I recommend the same.
Good luck.
im not sure how an aftermarket key would've nearly shorted out equipment, when in reality.. programming a transponder does not actually make electrical contact with anything physically. the whole procedure is done "wireless". the ONLY component that will be connected electrically in any way, would be the EWS from the car that connects to the key programmer.

NumbaOneNewb, thanks for your DIY and your threads about the AK90...its because of the info you have given (and confidence in the matter) that has allowed me to pursue doing this myself, instead of paying the dealer $600 for a spare key where i am. yes, $600!!!!

Last edited by kilotango; 05-08-2014 at 04:07 AM.
kilotango is offline   Reply With Quote