E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #21
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S85FTW View Post
Bushings don't DIY. Too much of a pain. Bring it in. The labor involved to press in new bushings you are better off just changing the arms while you are at it. Should be no more than $300 for everything.
Bushings are easy. If you buy them pre pressed the fronts will take no more than a couple hours with a 3 jaw puller and the rears another 2 hours with the bushing puller from bimmerworld. You'll save a ton of money.

If he does bushings and arms at the dealer it will be almost $1000.

Anyway, he needs to replace the front control arms, front control arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, and the steering flex coupler (guibo). the car will drive like new after that.

Last edited by WDE46; 09-28-2012 at 07:43 AM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #22
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
It is called Tramlining. Here is some good info
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47

If the problem started with new tires, my guess would be your new tires are wider than your old ones.
Make sure they are not over inflated.

Did you also change your wheels?

Last edited by dknightd; 09-28-2012 at 08:34 AM.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
doggy

My Ride: 330ise
i bet RTABs are worn, if not try FCABs
Old 10-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #24
leetoranges

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Hi i'd like to give a update. I've been looking around and i kinda stumbled on this thing called the "steering coupler" on how if it is worn it would cause the steering wheel to have some "play" in it.
I to be honest never even noticed the "play" until i saw a video of this guy who supposively has a bad steering coupler
, <- not me :>
and i went to my car, and i did a test drive and i have the exact same problem. And i guess this is why it is hard for me to drive in a straight line lol.

The problem i have is the diy seems alot harder than any of the diys i have done before (i didnt do much diy but i did replace the rain tray and replaced the pulleys and belts). It also seems to have more of a "risk" of me messing stuff up. Aka my alignment :<

Has anyone replaced the steering coupler? How hard was it? What are my chances of screwing something up, i'm kind of scared because this is my steering im dealing with.
Link to DIY: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13077875

Also i might look into bringing it into a indy shop or dealer to check out my control arm bushings.
ATM the car is "drivable" i adapted to controlling the car with the play in the steering wheel.

Last edited by leetoranges; 10-02-2012 at 01:49 AM.
leetoranges is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #25
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetoranges View Post
Hi i'd like to give a update. I've been looking around and i kinda stumbled on this thing called the "steering coupler" on how if it is worn it would cause the steering wheel to have some "play" in it.
I to be honest never even noticed the "play" until i saw a video of this guy who supposively has a bad steering coupler
, <- not me :>
and i went to my car, and i did a test drive and i have the exact same problem. And i guess this is why it is hard for me to drive in a straight line lol.

The problem i have is the diy seems alot harder than any of the diys i have done before (i didnt do much diy but i did replace the rain tray and replaced the pulleys and belts). It also seems to have more of a "risk" of me messing stuff up. Aka my alignment :<

Has anyone replaced the steering coupler? How hard was it? What are my chances of screwing something up, i'm kind of scared because this is my steering im dealing with.
Link to DIY: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13077875

Also i might look into bringing it into a indy shop or dealer to check out my control arm bushings.
ATM the car is "drivable" i adapted to controlling the car with the play in the steering wheel.
I mentioned the steering guibo in my previous post in this thread. I just replaced mine this weekend and my car drives so much better. I still need tierods but the guibo helped immensley. The repair is not that hard. Here is what you need to do.

tools:

#2 Phillips
8mm socket and small ratchet (I used a ratcheting combination wrench, it was perfect)
PB Blaster
Long Flathead (at least 15 inches total length including handle), this is to knock out the old piece.
Rubber mallet

1. either lift the front of the car on jack stands or use ramps (the wheels don't have to be unloaded), and lock the steering wheel by turning it a bit when the car is off.

2. remove plastic cover

3. use the 8mm wrench on the bolts holding guibo to the rack and column and remove them (these may need PB blaster also).

4. Spray clamp area on column and rack with PB blaster (wait 15-20 minutes).

5. take your huge flathead and come in from the front where you just removed the plastic cover. You can see the coupler through some engine parts. Put your flat head edge in the right angle joint formed by the metal piece that the rubber attaches to.

6. wack the **** out of the flathead handle until the couple pops off.

7. install new coupler in reverse of the old removal. after you get the coupler to slip on the column and rack, install new bolts with threadlocker if not applied already.

8. replace plastic under cover

9. drive car with new steering feel and control

Tip: if you cant get the new coupler to slide onto the rack's splines, you will have to unlock the steering wheel and let the coupler turn to the next spline over. This will make your steering off center, but a front end alignment can take car of this later. You may be able to keep the wheel locked and use an adjustable wrench to apply torque to the column and get the coupler to slide on (I thought of this after I already put it on).

Last edited by WDE46; 10-02-2012 at 06:27 AM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote