E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
frk2

My Ride: 2003 e46 330ci
Major oil consumption FIXED. CCV,VCG

Guys,
Decided to contribute something back after all this forum has done to help me!

So I had major oil consumption (1qt /500mile) and did the obvious stuff like the CCV and OFHG. The CCV helped a bit but I was still losing 1qt/1000 mile. There were no obvious oil leaks. The problem was fixed by:

1. Guide tube o-ring (this seemed like it was in place but wasn't sealing properly)

2. VCG. The VCG was not SO badly leaking but changing it fixed EVERYTHING!.

My theory is that a vacuum leak in the guide tube seal or the VCG may cause a leak in the CCV system and cause it to malfunction, having the same affect as a bad VCG/leaking VCG pipe. Since I've fixed the above 2 my oil consumption has been exactly 0.

Just throwing it in there so that somebody may benefit. My VCG/Guide tube seal looked slightly leaky but in no way did they justify a 1qt/1000 mile leak. However since changing them the problem is gone.

THanks everyone!
frk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
I am in the same boat with the oil crisis going on. Good to hear that you got the issue resolved.

Going to do the CCV, OFHG, VCG soon.

Can you post a couple of pictures and any tips on the dipstick o-ring DIY. I have read everywhere that remove the dipstick housing, clean the guide tube and all. But there is no clear instruction on how to do it. It might be self-explanatory when I do it for real, but more information would be always useful.

I believe I did order the o-ring, will have to make sure with the part number.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
frk2

My Ride: 2003 e46 330ci
Its really quite easy. I dont have any pictures but basically you have to remove:

1. Air box
2. Both the Air intake hoses
3. I also removed the brake booster vac tube adn the sheild

This gives you full access to the guide tube. Do this while you are doing the CCV since all this crap would be out of the way anyways. Theres only one 13mm nut which needs to be unscrewed (and some vac hoses held in place which you'll need to disconnect) and the guide tube comes loose. (theres also the CCV hose which connects to the tube and you need to careful disconnecting it as it may require a LOT of force).

In my case it was just seriously dangling so I simply pulled it out. I tested it by cleaning the CCV hose intake tube form the outside (so i dont eat oil) and blowing with my mouth. To my surprise it was completely unclogged (air went through nice and smooth). If this is not the case with you then you can either try cleaning the tube somehow or better change the tube with a newer, better design. I'm cheap so i skimped on the $100 expense changing the dipstick tube. Cleaning the CCV intake tube is gonna be seriously difficult from what it looked like - theres hardly 2mm of clearance between the concentric tubes (you'll know what I mean when you see it)

Putting the oring back on is seriously tricky. Not hard - just tricky. the Oring sits INSIDE the guide tube 'hole' (and not outside - where it will try to sit!). You must make sure its INSIDE. The way to do this is slide the oring over the tube about half way to the bump stop. Insert the tube straight (and not at an angle). Then use a flat screw driver or something to shove in the oring. When the oring is seated nicely there would be some resistance to you sliding the guide tube in all the way. To prevent the oring from deforming lube it up nicely with motor oil so that the guide tube slides nicely.

You'll know its done right when the screw hole lines up perfectly with the guide tube and requires no 'shoving'

Hope that helps!

Last edited by frk2; 09-27-2012 at 11:57 PM.
frk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Cool thanks.
This will come in handy when I do this job.