E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Dennis323
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 31
My Ride: 323ci
spark plug advise

Hi guys, today i got told by my mechanic that it is a good idea to change the spark plugs in my car as its done just over 100,000km. He quoted me $600 on plugs plus instillation. i thought this was a bit expensive so did a little research and came across these on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOSCH-FUS...#ht_2840wt_934

I was just wondering if you guys are able to give me any feed back as to weather to purchase these or a different set of plugs. i also have a problem where my car jerks when i plant my foot at low revs, would anyone know why this is? and how do i go about fixing it? it drives me insane and want it fixed asap!! i drive a 5 speed manual 323. please can someone help

cheers dennis
Dennis323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Jall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Melbourne, AUS
Posts: 1,006
My Ride: 328Ci
Lawwwwwl, find a new mechanic.

These are the ones you want (also from a site sponsor) http://clickableautomotive.com.au/bm...120037607.html

Jerking at low revs could be a few things, maybe vanos seals? Get your codes read and start from there.
__________________
Jall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,653
My Ride: 2002 330i
$600 wtf...........

Buy the spark plugs and DIY.

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Davconelectric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sunny melbourne
Posts: 2,110
My Ride: 330
+1 for new mechanic.
Davconelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Gee Emm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Outer Eastern Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 392
My Ride: 2000 325Ci Auto :(
Holy snapping ar$eholes Margaret, he stuck it in her poop shoot! Oops, sorry, wrong forum.

But you nearly had the same thing done to you! And you get to pay for his entertainment.

Graham

Last edited by Gee Emm; 09-19-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Gee Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
emgee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: new york
Posts: 194
My Ride: 3 pedal 2005 325xi
+1 new mechanic
__________________
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
Brissyjohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 345
My Ride: 2003 325ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis323 View Post
He quoted me $600 on plugs plus instillation. i thought this was a bit expensive....
You thought right. What the others said about getting another mechanic or DIY. I heard that NGK plugs were better than Bosch though. NGK plug for an E46 M52 engine is BKR6EQUP.
__________________

Last edited by Brissyjohn; 09-20-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Brissyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
fgin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,660
My Ride: e46 facelift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brissyjohn View Post
You thought right. What the others said about getting another mechanic or DIY. I heard that NGK plugs were better than Bosch though. NGK plug for an E46 M52 engine is BKR6EQUP.
That's the first I head of this. Any reason why NGK is better than Bosch? They both look exactly the same (4 prongs etc) but I'd be very interested to know. They are both OEM suppliers as well.

Thanks.
__________________
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
naMKaren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 136
My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis323 View Post
Hi guys, today i got told by my mechanic that it is a good idea to change the spark plugs in my car as its done just over 100,000km. He quoted me $600 on plugs plus instillation. i thought this was a bit expensive so did a little research and came across these on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOSCH-FUS...#ht_2840wt_934

I was just wondering if you guys are able to give me any feed back as to weather to purchase these or a different set of plugs. i also have a problem where my car jerks when i plant my foot at low revs, would anyone know why this is? and how do i go about fixing it? it drives me insane and want it fixed asap!! i drive a 5 speed manual 323. please can someone help

cheers dennis
For a second I thought you were referring to a Mazda!
naMKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
Brissyjohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 345
My Ride: 2003 325ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgin View Post
That's the first I head of this. Any reason why NGK is better than Bosch? They both look exactly the same (4 prongs etc) but I'd be very interested to know. They are both OEM suppliers as well.

Thanks.
I've read it and heard it from various sources both here and OS. I believe NGK were OEM to certain markets but don't know about Australia. My own experience with NGK in various cars is that they are very high quality and reliable.
__________________
Brissyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #11
fgin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,660
My Ride: e46 facelift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brissyjohn View Post
I've read it and heard it from various sources both here and OS. I believe NGK were OEM to certain markets but don't know about Australia. My own experience with NGK in various cars is that they are very high quality and reliable.
I had NGKs in the car and were replaced with NGKs but that is by coincidence. I was thinking of replacing them and saw the Bosch ones clickable sold and was going to get them. Now you have put a spanner on the works.
__________________
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #12
Brissyjohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 345
My Ride: 2003 325ti
Yes, I'd like to get them through Clickable myself. I wish they also had NGK. Do a Google search of Bosch vs NGK for BMW or E46 and see what comes up . I had guys here who have had bimmers for years say make sure you get NGK plugs. Nobody seemed to be adamant about getting Bosch....
__________________
Brissyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #13
Lucas@Clickable
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 138
My Ride: BMW
We had the NGK's in-stock earlier this year. From our point of view, there is no difference in quality, longevity, performance (etc.) between Bosch and NGK Spark Plugs. As fgin noted, BMW fitted both at the factory.

Unfortunately, I feel it's just spread misinformation that one is better than the other - But, if you guys would genuinely prefer NGK plugs, I'll have them added to our next shipment
__________________

Last edited by Lucas@Clickable; 09-20-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Lucas@Clickable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:14 AM   #14
Jall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Melbourne, AUS
Posts: 1,006
My Ride: 328Ci
+1 for misinformation.
Had NGK plugs in mine because it's what worx put in for me, 80k kms down the track I replaced them with Bosch's because it's what Lucas had in stock.
If you're running plugs until they die, MAYBE one brand will last longer on average than the other. But they're cheap, replace them before they die.

I trust the people dealing with the parts everyday more than I trust a 17 year old behind a keyboard that I've never met before.
__________________

Last edited by Jall; 09-20-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Jall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #15
Brissyjohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 345
My Ride: 2003 325ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jall View Post
I trust the people dealing with the parts everyday more than I trust a 17 year old behind a keyboard that I've never met before.
Me too.
__________________
Brissyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #16
selien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,308
My Ride: 330CI
I used NGK Iridium plugs, they work like a treat, abit on the expensive side.
Installed them myself, took no time at all, theres plenty of DIY's and youtube videos. Took me about 60-90 minutes.
__________________

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE
selien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #17
Shonky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 297
My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
Even BMW only charged me about $60/plug for an E36 M3 (same plugs as E46 I'm 99% sure).

Are you sure that's not *including* installation? Even then it's too expensive. Even $130/set is too much IMO.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #18
vwikit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: perth australia
Posts: 296
My Ride: 318i 99
the reason some people consider ngk to be better than bosch is there range. the ngk range is vastly larger than the bosch range hence the ngk marketing promo "one size does not fit all" so with ngk it is easier to get the closest plug to perfect for any given application. quality is not at question at all.

thanks
vwikit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #19
trive2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,100
My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
Even BMW only charged me about $60/plug for an E36 M3 (same plugs as E46 I'm 99% sure).

Are you sure that's not *including* installation? Even then it's too expensive. Even $130/set is too much IMO.
M engines run different plugs.
__________________
trive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #20
Shonky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 297
My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
You don't say. That's why I qualified my statement. Typically anything specific to M cars is more expensive.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use