E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Stutoyou

My Ride: 01 330ci
Remote Unlock / lock fail

My 2001 330ci developed these gripes, I believe, at the same time...

1. Remote key fob lock / unlock for doors and trunk does not function with either key - (works every time manually with key in exterior door lock, interior handle and also with the center switch – trunk release button under dash also works fine)
2. Windshield washer fail – (Wipers work fine including, I believe, rain sensors)
3. Cruise Control fail
4. Constant beeping when driver door is open and key not in ignition - headlights off - (as if key was in ignition or headlights on)
5. Red flashy light on rearview mirror / windshield fail

All windows work fine from the switches. The key remotes checked good at the local auto parts store – they have an IR / RF tester.

This kinda sounds like a GM5 gripe from what I’ve been reading, yet it seems to be different from the other complaints I have read. What do you think?

Scott, the General Module repair guy, excuse me, "engineer" at BMWGM5.com had this reply to the above information:

Your email is very confusing. Only tell me what DOESN'T work. If I need more information I will ask. Also key fob remote not doing anything is not a general module problem so that problem is out of the way so you don't need to mention that one again.

And then:

1 have you checked the pump motor.
2 cruise, has NOTHING to do with the general module
3 beeping has nothing to do with the general module
4. Fix 3 above and then lock/arm car with a working remote.

He might have missed the part where I said I tested the remotes...
Stutoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
1. Have you tried re initializing the keys?
4. sounds like the ring is failing
5. the alarm light/clown nose? Has it ever flashed? If not then it's just not activated (you don't have an alarm)

edit: The beeping, it means that the car thinks that the key is still in the ignition therefore disables all the remote functions on the key. So I'm assuming it's you ignition ring for problem 1&4

Last edited by eneka; 09-29-2012 at 02:20 PM.
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Stutoyou

Remote Unlock / lock fail

Okay. That makes sense. I unplugged the ring and the beeping stopped. I tried re-initializing the remote, but no joy there. The remote did not start working so I'm assuming (dangerous I know) that the ring must be functioning for the remotes to work?

However... I understand the Ring is just an inductive coil / antenna for the EWS and also to charge the key fob battery. If the coil was bad, wouldn't the car not start for not getting the signal from the key? Also, the car does not crank with the ring unplugged.

To reiterate, the car starts and runs fine - the remotes just dont work.

Does the tumbler itself mechanically sense when the key is inserted?
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Stutoyou

So this seems to get more confusing as I go... I have read posts which seem to point to the ignition switch as the source of many electrical gripes and gremlins. None, however, have indicated that is the cause of
1. The beeping.
2. The remotes not functioning (probably because the vehicle thinks the key is inserted and has disabled the remote functions)

Sooo... Who can tell me which part actually senses the "key in ignition" and thereby causes the beeps?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutoyou View Post
He might have missed the part where I said I tested the remotes...
No I didn't miss the part about testing the remotes. I did reply with, "Also key fob remote not doing anything is not a general module problem so that problem is out of the way so you don't need to mention that one again."
I have no doubt that the key fob remote works fine. You said you tested it and I believe you so no need to discuss it anymore. You need to find out why the car seems to be sensing the key in the ignition even when it's been removed.

Quote:
Okay. That makes sense. I unplugged the ring and the beeping stopped. I tried re-initializing the remote, but no joy there. The remote did not start working so I'm assuming (dangerous I know) that the ring must be functioning for the remotes to work?
Yes, the EWS must detect and authenticate the key to begin the key sync process.

Quote:
However... I understand the Ring is just an inductive coil / antenna for the EWS and also to charge the key fob battery. If the coil was bad, wouldn't the car not start for not getting the signal from the key? Also, the car does not crank with the ring unplugged.
Correct, if the coil was bad it would not be able to read the key and the EWS would not authenticate and enable the fuel pump and unlock the DME.

Quote:
Does the tumbler itself mechanically sense when the key is inserted?
No, it does not detect the key mechanically. As a test I wrapped the head of the key with aluminum foil so the EWS could not detect the transponder and no beeping.

Quote:
So this seems to get more confusing as I go... I have read posts which seem to point to the ignition switch as the source of many electrical gripes and gremlins.
A bad ignition switch can and does cause a lot of weird electrical problems

Quote:
None, however, have indicated that is the cause of
1. The beeping.
2. The remotes not functioning (probably because the vehicle thinks the key is inserted and has disabled the remote functions)

Sooo... Who can tell me which part actually senses the "key in ignition" and thereby causes the beeps?
The EWS senses the key in the ignition. The beeping is from the instrument cluster and is a combination of the signal from the EWS key detect and the door ajar sensor. I don't know where the logic is performed to logic AND the two inputs together. Key sync can not be performed if the car thinks the key is in the ignition and remote functions (lock, unlock and trunk release) are all inhibited.

Hope that helps.

Scott J.

Last edited by scottjoh; 10-01-2012 at 07:58 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Blind_Shooter

My Ride: is your sister
I have the same problems you described in 1 and 4. i cannot figure this out as sometimes when i lock/unlock the trunk they keypad will work. just bizzare, and ive reinitialized the keys like you did. Let me know if you ever solve this.

Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Stutoyou

Thank you Scott for the extremely cogent and relevant reply. Based on your (and others) input, I do not believe the GM is bad. I will first try replacing the ignition switch and post the result.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
scottjoh

Quote:
Thank you Scott for the extremely cogent and relevant reply. Based on your (and others) input, I do not believe the GM is bad. I will first try replacing the ignition switch and post the result.
I don't know what it is, but, it's not the GM.

Last edited by scottjoh; 10-03-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
Kinger97531

My Ride: 2003 325 + NOS
Possible fix

Just had the same problem after trying to fix a different problem.
I had everything you described above, there is a TSB that describes it.
Basically make sure you have a good fuse or a fuse at all in spot f67 located in the glove box. It fixed all my trubs, you may also need to resync your keys if you tried that while troubleshooting. Hopefully you will be able to fix it with this and return the ign switch to the stealership.
Kinger97531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
Stutoyou

Replaced the ignition switch. No change. Re-checking fuses today (third time). Only real gripes are no remote lock / unlock, constant beeping with driver door open and key NOT in ignition (yes, the headlights are off for all the comodians out there), AND the cruise control does not work.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Stutoyou

Okay, so get this... After replacing the ignition switch (no change) and re-checking all the fuses (all good) I did this:
With the driver door open and key NOT in ignition (still beeping) I removed the connector to the EWS Ring (still beeping)
Then I closed the drivers door, put the key in the ignition and turned the key as if to start the engine (Of course, it did not start) and turned it off.
I re-initialized the key and lo and behold the remote started working. I replaced the connector to the EWS Ring and it still worked - no beeps remote lock and unlock was good.
The thing is though, it only works for a short period of time (unknown amount).
This also had no effect on the cruise control gripe
Getting closer and stranger at the same time. Possible EWS gripe?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
M4TT

My Ride: 2007 BMW 328i
Any resolution to this?? I have the exact same problem with 2 of my cars.

One of them I did a 5 speed swap on and the other just started this problem last week. I did the same trick with the EWS ring and had the same results. It will work until you put the key back in the car then it stops and the beeping starts again.
M4TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
scottjoh

Stutoyou,
That's interesting. The EWS coil had to be working before because you could start the car just fine. But, the EWS does play a part in the beeping. The EWS seems to be the part that detects the key in the ignition (I tried wrapping the head of the key in aluminum foil and it no longer starts the engine, but, it also didn't beep when the door was open and unwrapping it started the beeping again). The EWS sends messages across the K-bus to some other module and one of the modules (instrument cluster perhaps) determines if beeping is appropriate based on other inputs like lights (from LSZ) and doors (from ZKE). What could be messed up I don't know.

Last edited by scottjoh; 11-15-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
Stutoyou

Gonna look for an EWS Schematic. Anyone have one?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
scottjoh

Try putting an IBUS Analyzer on the K-bus and watch for the key detected and key removed messages from the EWS fly by.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #16
Blind_Shooter

My Ride: is your sister
check fuse 60 i believe. will solve your problem. its the immobilizer fuse.

Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
scottjoh

Blind_Shooter, I think you mean fuse 67. The fuse card lists fuses 14 and 67 as Immobilizer. One indication of a blown fuse 67 is the car beeps at you when the door is open like the key is in the ignition when it's not.

Last edited by scottjoh; 02-14-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Tags
beeping, cruise control, remote locking, remote unlock