E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Limp Mode with EML and SES light

4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  2003silver330i 
#1 ·
Car went into limp mode today and all of the emergency lights came on.

F3 Misfire, Cylinder #6
E3 O2 Sensor adaptation limit, Cylinder #1-3
77 Throttle Position Sensor 2, plausibility, range, or performance

Any ideas?

#4 ·
Suggest you start with the first link below in my signature.

Pay attention to the intake boots.

Could be a battery/charging issue, MAF, throttle body or a badly leaking intake boot?

#5 · (Edited)
Cleared the codes and drove around for five minutes and the SES and EML light is back on. Checked the codes and the only one showing is the 77 Throttle Position Sensor 2, plausibility, range, or performance. Intake boots are perfect and dash indicator says the battery voltage is correct.

#9 · (Edited)
I cleared the code (77) several times and the freakin thing comes back within a minute with the car is in park and just idling. I also notice that the engine idle slightly moves up and down. Thanks scarede46er, I tend to agree. If that don't fix it then the only thing left to replace is the engine wiring harness.

#10 ·
Checked the manufacturer date on the EDK throttle body and it is dated 09-09-02 so it looks like I have the newest version according to, service bulletin SI B 12 10 02. I can't find any damage on the engine wiring harness so looks like a new TB is in order.

#11 ·
Has the lower intake boot been replaced or removed lately??

Many times the lower boot flap can get caught on the inside of the throttle body. Easy enough to check, just remove the upper intake boot and use a flashlight to look down lower intake boot.

#12 ·
Too late to check, I have the car torn apart including the rubber intake boot. I cleaned the TB again and did an adaptation test and the TB plate seems to be working fine. I'm just not sure how far the TB plate should open before closing when turning the key to the ON position. I also gave the EDK sensor a good whack with a screw driver (figure its worth a shot).

#14 · (Edited)
Well its back. Started the car this morning after sitting all night and the engine ran rough causing all the warning lights to kick on. Checked the codes and it was 73 again followed by code 87. Cleared them and ran the car for another minute and only 73 showed up. Warmed the car up and cleared the 73 code and drove it with no problems.

#17 · (Edited)
New codes today:

F0/F1 Misfire, Cylinder #3 & 4
E4 O2 Sensor adaptation limit, Cylinder #4-6

Just seems to be random misfires with no rhyme or reason and is starting to happen more frequently. On top of that I have codes for all 6 ignition coils misfiring that never go away even though I have 6 brand new coils and spark plugs. Car idles like shat cold after sitting over night until it warms up. WTF is wrong with this freakin car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.