E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #21
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
^^^^ exactly why I never press it.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #22
M Shark

My Ride: '04 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post
Typically this is a manual trans issue, not SMG. The bucking bronco with experienced drivers will come from undulations in the road starting off in first gear. It is a wave effect. Inexperienced drivers it is caused from lack of muscle control with the pedal.

Sport button is useless especially when you change to lower mount fixed back seats where your foot angle is changed. Only useful for heel toe as mentioned above.
Ok, went to the gym and tried it out tonight and I see what you guys are talking about. I put the car in 2nd and when the car got rolling, I tapped my foot around the throttle a little bit then it did that "bronco" bucking. Even when I tried to give it more gas it wouldn't stop. I had to ease off the throttle, put in neutral, tap the throttle to get the RPMs up then shift back into 2nd.

But it seemed to happen on low RPMs and only if I do it on purpose. As if trying to stall. But I don't see this happening when coming off a stop light.

What RPMs do you guys usually shift? I shift around the 4K mark.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #23
Beamer Creamer

My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
I think sport button would be nice at drag strip if it could be deactivated for first gear so could have more effective launch and then activated for the rest. I would think its harder on clutch also bcuz alot of times i find my self gettin too much revs by the time clutch is fully engaged when driving hard, but maybe im used to having it off most of the time. Definitely faster goin through the gears though. I think sprint booster would make it even harder to launch properly. U just lose abit more driver foot control and let computer accelerate harder so by the time your foot hits floor signal was there ahead of you
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
I almost always drive with the sport button depressed. I like the quicker throttle response, and have never had any "bucking bronco" problems under any circumstances. This includes nearly idling at about 800 rpm in second gear in I-95 traffic slow downs followed by acceleration back up to speed. I don't find the car hard to control in sport mode, even on wet pavement.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
M Shark

I'm wondering, did this bucking bronco syndrome ever happen when the E46 M3 was brand new? Or is this just happening now on used M3's? I'm just curious coz maybe this is an early symptom of something wrong with the car. But if it was already there when the cars were brand new, then i guess its not something to be concerned about.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #26
M Shark

Anyway, I still keep the "sport" button pressed when driving around town. Unless there's heavy traffic. ....Just saying...
Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #27
webster

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
i don't have an M3, but i do have a Sprint Booster installed on my ZHP and i too have experienced the 'bucking bronco' syndrome with the SB on in both red (race) and green (sport) settings. i have always thought the increased sensitivity of the drive by wire due to the SB is the culprit, and the simple solution is to adjust throttle inputs depending on the SB setting. every once in a while if i'm not paying attention i will buck, but it only ever happens in 1st gear when trying to launch. i presume the sport button on the M3, while not as simple in operation or effect as the SB, has a similar result

Last edited by webster; 10-01-2012 at 06:01 PM.
webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #28
Docacastro37

My Ride: E46 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Creamer View Post
I think sport button would be nice at drag strip if it could be deactivated for first gear so could have more effective launch and then activated for the rest. I would think its harder on clutch also bcuz alot of times i find my self gettin too much revs by the time clutch is fully engaged when driving hard, but maybe im used to having it off most of the time. Definitely faster goin through the gears though. I think sprint booster would make it even harder to launch properly. U just lose abit more driver foot control and let computer accelerate harder so by the time your foot hits floor signal was there ahead of you
I drive with mine off all of the time because i DD me M3, but i took it to a dragstrip one time to watch the races, and i was told i could do some fun runs for free, so why not right? My best pass (with a passenger, full tank of gas, and tools n **** in my trunk) was 14.00 at 99.99mph. I accomplished this by turning the sport button on after i shifted into 2nd. The only other time i use the sport button is when i'm at Autox, i'm generally always in 2nd through the cones and the sport button helps with low end torque response.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #29
Beamer Creamer

Cool. My first quarter mile at track ever i ran a 13.56 , 1/4 tank fuel. 35 psi tires, empty trunk and no passenger and no sport button.Ive tried about 12 other times and could never beat my first run with bald tires. I agree on track the car grips good enough so sport button is good to get it goin quicker but at times i think it breaks loose where it wouldnt if had full stroke of gas pedal?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #30
mvs2

My Ride: 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
I've always thought of the Sport Button as the pour-twice-as-much-fuel button.
Thats exactly how I see it. But I do understand the appeal...I just prefer not to get used to it.
mvs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #31
Obioban

My Ride: 2005 Imola/Imola M3
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
I had evolve reprogram the car so that even if the button is pressed I don't go into sport mode. Mine does absolutely nothing.

Sport mode = reduced driver smoothness/control mode. Smooth is fast, fast is smooth.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #32
Slyde

My Ride: 2001 M3 TiAg
I do not use it. I like to have predictable throttle response for down-shifting rev match and changing the response to a different curve would complicate this. I also like to have finer control when at traction limits with the back end.

That "sport" button should turn off the radio, air conditioning and the climate fan as well.
Slyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #33
Beamer Creamer

Ya. I think you might as well just speed shift for the same effect( shift up with foot on gas pedal) pretty well all it does is keep revs higher than you want. I think just harder on drivetrain or clutch with cdv for sure prob slips more before locking. I agree downshift rev matching is a joke too. Sport button i think today anyway, is only good for drifting consecutive corners so you can keep tires spinnin easier on shifts
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #34
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
The only thing that the sport button does is to decrease throttle travel and response times. In my opinion it makes the car easier to drive quickly if you are not always burying the throttle into the carpet. Speed shifting does not do the same thing. Speed shifting gives you gear changes without interruption in power, but can seriously damage the gearbox if the gears don't mesh perfectly as you shift. All the sport button does is to make the throttle more responsive to your right foot.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #35
Beamer Creamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shark View Post
Ok, went to the gym and tried it out tonight and I see what you guys are talking about. I put the car in 2nd and when the car got rolling, I tapped my foot around the throttle a little bit then it did that "bronco" bucking. Even when I tried to give it more gas it wouldn't stop. I had to ease off the throttle, put in neutral, tap the throttle to get the RPMs up then shift back into 2nd.

But it seemed to happen on low RPMs and only if I do it on purpose. As if trying to stall. But I don't see this happening when coming off a stop light.

What RPMs do you guys usually shift? I shift around the 4K mark.
I shift around 7800 rpm. U shouldnt get the buck on takeoff cuz car is prob over revving what it needs. The buck is prob just the slight play in everything( bushing, gears,shocks etc. the buck i think comes when not enough torque is able to be applied by the engine to keep everything tight. If anyone has it happen with engine revving atall then they either dont know how to drive or something needs repair. Ok so we are all close enuff to on the same page with this topic. You either like it or you dont. Time to move on...35 posts are/is enuff. Have a good day unto all

Last edited by Beamer Creamer; 10-08-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #36
M Shark

You shift 7800rpm daily driving? You must really like hauling ass lol
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #37
monkawekrue

My Ride: 03 M3 CB/04 M3 AW
Only time I really have sport on is when I'm driving alone. Wife actually thinks the car is too rough : / anyways.....

Had the bucking bronco thing happen to me only once so far. It was the day I purchased the m3 off the owner and was test driving it and inspecting it. He didn't mention or I failed to notice (or both) that he had the 6th shift option enabled with traction control off and sport mode enabled. Man it scared the **** out of me for a sec. After that I was like whoa! Lets drive! So I would chalk it up to driver error.
monkawekrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #38
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Shifting at 7800 rpm every time.......Bye bye engine. I would think your trans is super busted hearing you drive by!
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #39
Obioban

My Ride: 2005 Imola/Imola M3
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
Shifting at 7800 rpm every time.......Bye bye engine. I would think your trans is super busted hearing you drive by!
My car his 8000 rpm multiple times a day, every day (after warmed up, of course).

130,000 total miles, 4000 track miles (all 5500-8000 rpm). Been doing this since the day I finished break in.

Last edited by Obioban; 10-09-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #40
///M Powerd

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
My car his 8000 rpm multiple times a day, every day (after warmed up, of course).

130,000 total miles, 4000 track miles. Been doing this since the day I finished break in.
Wow epic miles! It just goes to show you how well made these cars are and if you follow a proper maintenance plan they can last a very long time.
///M Powerd is offline   Reply With Quote