E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
Question Steering wheel clunking needs rack replacement?

My dealer suggests replacing the steering rack.

Here's the issue:
- There's an annoying clunk that happens when I turn the steering wheel either way 1 inch.
- This happens even if the car is not moving.
- The noise seems to be from the lower steering column or steering rack but radiates to the steering wheel.

Now here's what's unique about it:
- First I adjust the steering wheel position by unlocking the telescoping lever.
- When I push on the steering wheel then lock the lever, the noise is minimized and sometime even disappears.
- When I pull on the steering wheel then lock the lever, the noise is more pronounced.
- The final telescope position of the steering wheel doesn't make a difference on the noise, only the act of pushing or pulling it before locking makes the difference.
- Adjust the steering wheel position up or down also doesn't make a difference.

Now, do I really need to have the steering rack replaced? Or is it just the u-joint or other part on the steering column that needs adjusting?
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Da Jemster

My Ride: is ///Mpulsive
Pare, 2004 yan. Shouldn't that still be under warranty?

08 E93 DCT - Stock for now...

04 M3 CB-BLK///SMG II///D/A tuned///AFE Stg 2///SS Stepped///SS Metallic Cat///Eisenmann SS X-pipe///SS Race///4.10 diff///ACS CF Front Lip///6000K Heads & Fogs///CF Grills & Gills///Angel Eyes///Matching Reflectors///Black'd corners, sides & tails///TEIN S

Da Jemster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
ssm1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jemster View Post
Shouldn't that still be under warranty?
Warranty here is only 2 years. Sucks, I know.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 AM   #4
ssm1991

Update ... when I hit a few bumps or pot holes, the clunking comes back. Have to do that 'unlock lever-push steering wheel-lock lever' routine again to 'fix' it.

Any recommendations?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
Da Jemster

My Ride: is ///Mpulsive
With all the cars I've had, I've been fortunate not to encounter this problem. Hopefully one of the thousands of members here might have some experience. G/L pards!

08 E93 DCT - Stock for now...

04 M3 CB-BLK///SMG II///D/A tuned///AFE Stg 2///SS Stepped///SS Metallic Cat///Eisenmann SS X-pipe///SS Race///4.10 diff///ACS CF Front Lip///6000K Heads & Fogs///CF Grills & Gills///Angel Eyes///Matching Reflectors///Black'd corners, sides & tails///TEIN S

Da Jemster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
markusmark

My Ride: 2001330Ci
Could be the universal joint at the juncture of the steering column and the rack. I've heard that it's not the most durable u-joint BMW has used.
markusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
bmw_chuzo

My Ride: HPF M3
Send a message via MSN to bmw_chuzo
I replaced this joint and the clunking disappeared a little bit, but sometimes when passing over speed bumps my steering still clunks.
I have changed tie rods, control arms and bushings.

My front shock absorbers are damaged, but I don't know if this has any relation with the steering
Old 02-27-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
markusmark

My Ride: 2001330Ci
Could be - depends on how they're "damaged." How long ago did you change the LCA's? What brand of LCA did you use? What brand of LCA bushing did you use? I would recommend nothing but the Meyle HD LCA's and LCA bushings.
markusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #9
scintilla

My Ride: E46 330i
My 2001 330i sedan makes the same noise. I have no idea where it comes from.
Any updates?
scintilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
Volcano Driver

My Ride: 2002 325i
Mine does it too

Hmm, my car have similar problem, ratling clunking noise in the steering wheel. The noise usually comes out when it is driven on a bad surface road, where the undulation create slight left and right steering vibration. The noise is more like a SPLINE SHAFT rattling, so my first thought of the culprit was steering telescopic adjustment spline shaft. I could not get access to this mechanism, so no way to check it. Has anyone have this problem and fix it by replacing the telescopic mechanism (or fix it) ?.

I replaced the CA bushings, the ball joints is still good, the steering U joints are also good.
Volcano Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #11
scintilla

My Ride: E46 330i
Mine sounds exactly the same as yours, and so is my guess. Since I'm the only driver of the car and doesn't need need to adjust the steering wheel position all the time, I'm thinking about dripping some high-strengh loctite into the spine shaft. Now the only problem is how to I gain access to the spine shaft.

Hopefully this will fix it.
scintilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #12
lufu

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcano Driver View Post
Hmm, my car have similar problem, ratling clunking noise in the steering wheel. The noise usually comes out when it is driven on a bad surface road, where the undulation create slight left and right steering vibration. The noise is more like a SPLINE SHAFT rattling, so my first thought of the culprit was steering telescopic adjustment spline shaft. I could not get access to this mechanism, so no way to check it. Has anyone have this problem and fix it by replacing the telescopic mechanism (or fix it) ?.

I replaced the CA bushings, the ball joints is still good, the steering U joints are also good.
i'm having exactly the same problem. Has any found the cause of this?
lufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #13
mattlang

My Ride: 2001 330Ci MSport
In case anyone searches on this old post...

My car had that problem too... it was very noticable at slow speed on bumpy roads. I had a broken ball joint on my stabilizer* link bar?

See item 5
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...05&hg=31&fg=10

*anti-roll bar / anti sway bar
mattlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #14
Crawfo

My Ride: 1999 328i
Same thing on my 99 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_chuzo View Post
I replaced this joint and the clunking disappeared a little bit, but sometimes when passing over speed bumps my steering still clunks.
I have changed tie rods, control arms and bushings.

My front shock absorbers are damaged, but I don't know if this has any relation with the steering
I replaced my tie rods when I did my lca's , lca bushings and swaybar end links.
I found that the tie rods where they connect to the rack one side had come loose (after a few hundred miles) and was giving me all sorts of problems (Clunking and loose steering) . I thightened it and the clunking whent away. Hope this helps. Could not hurt to double check.
Crawfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
Chaos1187

My Ride: 01' 325i M54 BMW
I am having the same problem here. Rattling that I feel in the steering wheel when over small bumps in roads, or dips and bumps in yards etc. Sounds like cr&p coming out of a BMW....

Going to check the suspension more closely. The bushing that bolts onto the frame of the car how solid should it be? Talking of the one that connects onto the LCA (lower control arm) When the car is raised and I push pull on the control arm I can see it move at the bushing maybe a millimeter or two...Thanks in advance guys.
Chaos1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Yep. Little known part I've been talking about for years now. That part you linked is the UK RHD part though. Very different from the US. but same concept.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
Chaos1187

So I have done this on a z28 camaro before it was like a 20 minute job tops....Im sure that translates to a bimmer to be a 200 minute job -_- once those torque bolts are taken out does it give it play to take the part out or does other steering parts need to be loosened removed??
Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos1187 View Post
So I have done this on a z28 camaro before it was like a 20 minute job tops....Im sure that translates to a bimmer to be a 200 minute job -_- once those torque bolts are taken out does it give it play to take the part out or does other steering parts need to be loosened removed??
i'm fairly certain you have to disconnect the lower portion as well which is the steering coupler upper torx bolt. then it should slide ride out.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #20
Chaos1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
i'm fairly certain you have to disconnect the lower portion as well which is the steering coupler upper torx bolt. then it should slide ride out.
Okay awesome, and in this RealOEM diagram it is EDIT: NOT acknowledging the #3 part there.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=32&fg=30

Last edited by Chaos1187; 09-24-2012 at 09:53 AM.