E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #41
7to3_enthusiast

My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaww View Post
But what a Miata...

500+ HP N/A LS-3

Texas SCCA Solo National tour winner in X-Prepared. (Vs) Nissan GTR's.

Car is what you make of it. I plan on dropping the Stage 1(initially) AA Supercharger in my 99' 328i, dropping some weight, probably put it on Ohlins or AST suspension, 315 Hoosier R-comps and then I'll be playing with GTR's in Street Modified class on a budget under $10k and with a tire change, still be able to daily drive it.

Any car can be super, and in my book, if you are beating supercars, then your car is "Super"

Super clean, super fast and super car performance for sure! But "super car", no. Plain and simple, car is engineered to be a super car from day 1. Sports cars can merely have super car performance, not the title. And I think it deserves mention that a supercar is mass produced (quantities are generally low). A highly modified sports car is generally a one off piece with individual tweaking for suspension and tuning.

Plus, can you guys think of many supercars that don't have sex appeal. M3 is a wonderful car but drop 100k+ in it and it still won't be as sexy as a Mclaren F1 or an Aventador, but it might beat that a** on any type of track.

04 LSB M3
6sp, BSW stage 1, 19" Forgestar, PSS's, MXP exhaust, K&n intake, h&r springs, koni shocks.
87 rx7 tII 6266 BB .84 a/r in the works
00 Saturn sc2, DD, 36+ mpg
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #42
bmxpert86

My Ride: e46 TiAg ///M3
Yeah a M3, M5, M6 is not a supercar and never will be one. You can throw $$$$$ into a Honda and make it compete with a supercar but even at the end of the race your still driving a modded commuter car or even sports car. I could care less if a Honda beat me and I was in a Porsche GT, because even if you lost the race your still driving a crazy cool expensive car.

I consider a Lamborghini Gallardo a exotic, but an aventador a supercar. There's a fine line that most people wouldn't know the difference.

Also, many people think just because the car is an exotic makes it a supercar, but it's a car by car thing. It has to be exotic but also have the power and speed to throw it into that higher level like a s7, Bugatti, porche gt, Enzo, and venom gt have. Usually the price reflects the status also, 200k and under and you can get a beautiful exotic, but a supercar to me is usually over 500k. That being said, there is no way on gods green earth that any BMW M series, current or previous will ever be supercar status, unless they come out with something new.
bmxpert86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #43
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
please delete

Last edited by BDUB328I; 10-04-2012 at 12:12 PM.
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #44
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328ci906 View Post
When I hear "Supercar" I think exotic, I would not classify an ///M3 or M5 an exotic. Rare yes but exotic no...

Watch some Top Gear, Clarkson will show you how to differentiate the two.
Clarkson will also tell you that his favorite car in the world to drive is the M5

seem strange the guy who tests all the supper cars would say this no?

Last edited by BDUB328I; 10-04-2012 at 12:11 PM.
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #45
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
Clarkson will also tell you that his favorite car in the world to drive is the M5

seem strange the guy who tests all the supper cars would say this no?
It's his favorite car to drive but in no way did he imply that it's a supercar. You have to remember that most supercars ride rough for performance purposes, he's basing his claim on the M5's combination of performance, comfort, and drivability.

Last edited by Rockyminator; 10-04-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Rockyminator is offline   Reply With Quote