E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
shwagon

My Ride: 325it 5-speed
Building an Online Catalog (Web Masters chime in)

I'm considering building an online catalog similar to realoem.com but for Lamborghini Parts. Our objective is to offer customers the ability to search through parts diagrams, select the part that they need, add the part to a shopping cart, and pay all in a nice smooth manner at wholesale pricing.

We are in the very beginning stages of this, and to put it nicely, I have no idea where to start....

I've started to look into a couple of different software packages offered online (doing allot of research on Adobe Scene7). Anyone have suggestions or know of a software that might work well for this?

***If you do this type of work for a living, PM me and we can talk about possibly subletting this out***
My Gun Builds: AR-15, GSG-522-SD, Saiga 308
shwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
blacksport325

My Ride: 98 M3, 318is, CBR600
This wouldn't be too hard to build a functional, yet simple page in php, I can't say too much about Adobe products, I've only used dreamweaver and that was years ago.
blacksport325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
shwagon

Yea, I would assume it could be done easily. I have an adobe rep calling me tomorrow...
Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
veeco

My Ride: 2002 325ci
The actual store / cart is not the hard part. You could take an open source code base of a cart and build off of that, customize it.

It seems to me that the hardest part is the information. The entire relational database of the various models / years, images, and corresponding parts. Is that available or something you have to do (and maintain / update)?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
shwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeco View Post
The actual store / cart is not the hard part. You could take an open source code base of a cart and build off of that, customize it.

It seems to me that the hardest part is the information. The entire relational database of the various models / years, images, and corresponding parts. Is that available or something you have to do (and maintain / update)?
I have access to all of the diagrams, part numbers, and pricing for each year and model all the back to Miura. Is there a certain open source software you like to use?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
poynter

My Ride: Jetta
I use magento or godaddy quickshoppingcart for e-commerce sites. Ive done many.
The hardest thing will be getting the info into the system. It would be best if you had everything in excel spreadsheets that could be imported.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
Im assuming this will be more for shops to use then actual lambo owners? 90% of Lambo owner dont DUI sh*t. They cant even wash their own cars...lol
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
I'm a software architect. It's not something you can just do in a HTML page or PHP. Forget about what programming language you'll use to create the site.

Think about your requirements:

Data:
car make/model/year/part/price, how you're going to keep the data updated etc....

Views:
What do you want to show to users in what format. Graphic design, site layout, navigation, etc...

Logic:
Payments, confirmation, users accounts, etc...

You might be able to do the views part yourself. But you'll need some help on data and logic parts. With this type of project you need to think about three things: time frame, budget, and quality of work.

You can PM if you want to talk more.
z00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
shwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
Im assuming this will be more for shops to use then actual lambo owners? 90% of Lambo owner dont DUI sh*t. They cant even wash their own cars...lol
You would be surprised at how many lambo owners skip the dealer and head to an indy with parts in hand. Everyone has a bad stigma with "stealerships" and I was really surprised that it carried over from the BMW dealership I was at to $250k cars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
I'm a software architect. It's not something you can just do in a HTML page or PHP. Forget about what programming language you'll use to create the site.

Think about your requirements:

Data:
car make/model/year/part/price, how you're going to keep the data updated etc....

Views:
What do you want to show to users in what format. Graphic design, site layout, navigation, etc...

Logic:
Payments, confirmation, users accounts, etc...

You might be able to do the views part yourself. But you'll need some help on data and logic parts. With this type of project you need to think about three things: time frame, budget, and quality of work.

You can PM if you want to talk more.
Data:

I have access to to most of this data, we technically only have about two cars in production right now and about a total of 4-5 model changes for the last 10 years.

Views:

I would like to keep it simple using parts diagrams with ref numbers that correspond with the part number. Each car would have about 50 groups/diagrams for the customer to chose from, once the desired group is selected they can simply add the part wanted to a shopping cart. Ill PM you with other details.

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
shwagon

Im revisiting this, has anyone built somthing like this and can recommend some software?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
alkemyst

My Ride: 06 TiAg M3 ZCP 6M
Trademotion.com does this for dealerships.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
shwagon

Wow, that looks very promising. I'm going to contact them tomorrow. Thanks!