E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
bearton

My Ride: 330ci
DIY Forever Black

I searched and did not find a DIY on this but if there is one, I apologize for making another.

-I am not responsible if anyone messes up or if Forever Black is forever stuck on your car

So when I first picked up the car, one of the things I noticed was how faded the trim on the mirrors were. Of course, this happens with time and is bound to happen on a 10 year old car. After a little research, I found the product "Forever Black." The first thing I did was locate a shop near me that carried it. It was $13.99 + tax.

*Certain states do not carry Forever Black products

http://www.foreverblack.com/products.html

After purchasing it, I returned home and washed my car so that the areas that I would be applying it to, would be reasonably clean.

The box contains a pre-cleaning solution to be used before application. Instructions are on the bottles and it says to mix the entire solution with a gallon of warm water. Since mirror trim area is so small, only use about 1/4 of the solution in a quart of warm water (maybe even less, judge accordingly).

Wash the areas with the solution so that road grime/oils/etc are gone. DO NOT POUR OUT THE CLEANER WHEN YOU'RE DONE. It comes in handy later on. Dry off the area or let it air dry.

Once you're ready, be sure to tape off all areas around the mirror (window, door, whatever else). I did not get pictures of this but just be sure that the trim is the only thing showing.

I also opted to paint the black strip on my rear bumper. Before doing the mirrors, I started on the bumper because it had a bigger surface area and was unsure of how it would look. The head of the bottle was too big to fit in the lines in the bumper so I went to a craft store and picked up a smaller, flexible, foam brush that had the same texture as the bottle. This made it much easier and would help with the mirrors.

After 3 evenly applied coats, I let it dry for 15 min before removing the tape. Once removed, I noticed that there was a tad bit of bleeding. I quickly grabbed the cleaning solution and rubbed at the area where the Forever Black had gotten on my bumper. It came off without too much effort.

I then moved on the mirrors and repeated the same steps as I had with the bumper. Three even coats and 15 minutes later, my mirror trim looked like new!

Before and After pictures below.
The picture of the bumper is after it had been applied and right before removing the tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trim01.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	470810   Click image for larger version

Name:	phowerto.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	470811   Click image for larger version

Name:	phn678oto.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	470812   Click image for larger version

Name:	phbcvbcbvoto.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	470813  

Click image for larger version

Name:	p67nhoto.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	470814  

Last edited by bearton; 09-24-2012 at 10:56 PM.
bearton is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
I bought some of this stuff like 2 weeks ago I just haven't had the chance to put it on since I've been doing my remote start. I had read reviews about it on amazon and other sites. Most of them were good but a couple of them lead me to believe that this stuff was only good for porous plastics and rubbers. And the plastic around our mirrors doesn't seem to be porous at all, so I was hesitant. But your pictures show that this stuff works well. I want to try it on the trim that goes around the windows and the cowl cover. Thanks for the write up.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
bearton

Its held up fine on my mirrors. I've washed them and nothing came off. As for the trim around the windows, I don't believe it will work on them. Maybe if you roughed it up with sand paper but even then I'm unsure of how it would hold.

Last edited by bearton; 09-27-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Bavaryan

My Ride: 330i w/out park.
removed

Last edited by Bavaryan; 09-28-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Bavaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Just saying, my trim was damn near WHITE when I bought my car [I think it used to be in Nevada or Arkansaw or some other desert state.] I used a bit of this [ I apply every month or so, don't need to do it after like 2nd coat, but still.] and my trim looks new now. Used a bit on my seats too. http://www.turtlewax.com/product-detail.aspx?prodid=64
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
Just put some around the window trim and it shined it up pretty nice. Doesn't look brand new, but it looks a lot better.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
bearton

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
Just saying, my trim was damn near WHITE when I bought my car [I think it used to be in Nevada or Arkansaw or some other desert state.] I used a bit of this [ I apply every month or so, don't need to do it after like 2nd coat, but still.] and my trim looks new now. Used a bit on my seats too. http://www.turtlewax.com/product-detail.aspx?prodid=64
you apply two coats a month or just one?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Just one now, but like for the two weeks after I bought it, I applied it like once every 3-5 days. Now its fine, and I wash it with Armor All w/ Caranauba wax, and like when driving fast during the rain, I don't need to use my wipers because of the waxing. its pretty cool.
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote