E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Mr_325

My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
VCG leak again?

did my gaskets 10k km's ago and was wondering if it looks like they are leaking again or could it be from below more?

Front passenger/lower engine
*you can see oil on the indicated area's and there's a plug plus hose down there, not sure if they are creating the leak either*

i did not do Vanos seals last time and kicked myself for that so this could be karma.
Mr_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
Did you replace the grommets? That could be why too

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Mr_325

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
Did you replace the grommets? That could be why too
i believe i replaced the grommets
i bought OEM gaskets and some red high temp sealant that every recommends on here
Old 10-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Mr_325

bump!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Mr_325

well, noticed the good old oil smell at higher rpms last night
probably going to take it to a local shop to do it up as last time i obviously didn't do it right and made a huge mess anyways
might order the Beisan kit for the vanos to be done too
i seen Beisan site has VCGs on it too i think, they any good or stick with OEM?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Last I checked, the Beisan site had a number of replacement parts unique to them, however, not a VCG. Personally, I would stick with BMW/OEM. When I did my vanos seals, I replaced the VCG with BMW, reasoning simply that the first one had lasted 10 years.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Did you torqued those VCG bolts to 10 Nm spec or did you just do it by feel? Unless your VC has a crack somewhere, this would be the only possibility since you said you replaced the rubber washers around the VC and used RTV where appropriate.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
did you replace 15 gromets?? you didn't answer if you did.... vanos seals didn't do anything for me. did it last week and put on about 600kms.. no difference.

make sure you replace gromets and put on rtv on half moons and vanos contact line. tighten the bolts in X pattern starting from the middle. 10NM. and make sure the surfaces are well cleaned on the contact surface when applying new baskets

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Mctwist77

My Ride: '99' BMW 323i
It looks like it could be your gasket inbetween the vanos unit and the block
Old 10-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Mctwist77

My Ride: '99' BMW 323i
Old 10-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Mr_325

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
did you replace 15 gromets?? you didn't answer if you did.... vanos seals didn't do anything for me. did it last week and put on about 600kms.. no difference.

make sure you replace gromets and put on rtv on half moons and vanos contact line. tighten the bolts in X pattern starting from the middle. 10NM. and make sure the surfaces are well cleaned on the contact surface when applying new baskets

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
my bad, thought i replied to the question
i did replace the 15 grommets and rtv was used on half moons and area of previous leak...
starting to think i may have put too much rtv on or didn't tighten in the X pattern
if not then probably a crack

i ordered the Beisan kit for Vanos last night
once they show up i'm booking to have professional do it as it's only going to be $300.
i'm supplying Beisan kit and they'll do OEM VCG and install

when speaking with the very reputable shop, who's tech's are ex dealership employee's, they said they have done 1000's of VCG's but they've rarely seen the need to do Vanos but on here seems to be the exact opposite opinion

Last edited by Mr_325; 10-16-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #12
Mr_325

Cars booked for Friday morning
Quoted 5hrs @ $98/hr for vcgs and vanos seals
Seems right, what y'all think?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
jgold47

Yeah, sounds good for dealer. Probably closer to 3.5 hours for an experienced mechanic. The VCR books at an hour, but should be included in a vanos job.

The only issue is if they try to cowboy the vanos and **** up the rings they can't just call up the local parts guy for a replacement. Make sure they follow the instructions or have done it before.

my about me link

Old 11-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
That is a valve cover gasket leak. Let me guess, you put on a Victor Reinz before, right? I'd just replace the gasket with Goetze, and go from there. Worth a shot for $30...

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
Mr_325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwist77 View Post
your definitely right
the leak has spread to the front middle of the engine now

Quote:
Yeah, sounds good for dealer. Probably closer to 3.5 hours for an experienced mechanic. The VCR books at an hour, but should be included in a vanos job.

The only issue is if they try to cowboy the vanos and **** up the rings they can't just call up the local parts guy for a replacement. Make sure they follow the instructions or have done it before.
the shop is an Indie with ex dealer ship tech's and are widely respected on my local Bimmer site so they should be ok
i've supplied them with Vanos seals so hopefully they don't **** anything up in that regard because it takes almost a month to get them here
the tech's state they've done 1000's of VCG's but mentioned they rarely have to replace VANOS seals but it is Canada and we don't have many fanatics that would know to replace them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
That is a valve cover gasket leak. Let me guess, you put on a Victor Reinz before, right? I'd just replace the gasket with Goetze, and go from there. Worth a shot for $30...
Yup it was Victor Reinz, i went to an Indie shop that states they use OEM parts only and grabbed them and grommets for $230 as i figured a VCG is a VCG
other Indie shop(s) are a 2hr drive
i will however from now on just make the 2hr drive when needed or order online for repairs
we have Lordco and Fortins (not sure if they are canadian only businesses) but they mainly carrier domestic parts at a great price so my options are very limited

hopefully my valve covers not cracked and it's only the gaskets

Last edited by Mr_325; 11-20-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
jgold47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_325 View Post
your definitely right
the leak has spread to the front middle of the engine now

the shop is an Indie with ex dealer ship tech's and are widely respected on my local Bimmer site so they should be ok
i've supplied them with Vanos seals so hopefully they don't **** anything up in that regard because it takes almost a month to get them here
the tech's state they've done 1000's of VCG's but mentioned they rarely have to replace VANOS seals but it is Canada and we don't have many fanatics that would know to replace them

well, best of lukc.

Yup it was Victor Reinz, i went to an Indie shop that states they use OEM parts only and grabbed them for $230 as i figured a VCG is a VCG
other Indie shop(s) are a 2hr drive
i will however from now on just make the 2hr drive when needed or order online for repairs
we have Lordco and Fortins (not sure if they are canadian only businesses) but they mainly carrier domestic parts at a great price so my options are very limited
well best of luck. I would provide them with the besian instructions for reference since they wont know how to do it. I am not worried about it for you, but this is pretty specific. Have you thought about doing it yourself? The instructions are so well written, it would be hard to screw up if you have even basic DIY skills. That said, I've failed on the three VCG's ive done with leaks that show up down the line, but I suspect it because I've foolishly used Victor Reinz gaskets the whole time.

my about me link

Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #17
Mr_325

Quote:
well best of luck. I would provide them with the besian instructions for reference since they wont know how to do it. I am not worried about it for you, but this is pretty specific. Have you thought about doing it yourself? The instructions are so well written, it would be hard to screw up if you have even basic DIY skills. That said, I've failed on the three VCG's ive done with leaks that show up down the line, but I suspect it because I've foolishly used Victor Reinz gaskets the whole time.
i could probably do the VCGs again but i don't really wanna do the VANOS
plus it took me 4hrs to do VCGs first time and they're leaking now
i don't really have all that time so if i can pay them $700 i'll be fine
i'm just worried if valve cover is cracked it will probably put me over $900 and i don't really wanna do that especially with xmas coming

Last edited by Mr_325; 11-20-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
I used Victor Reinz gasket and mine leaked after 8000 miles.
There are many others with leaking V-R gaskets.
I bet this will be your solution and you'll not worry about a cracked VC.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #19
Mr_325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
I used Victor Reinz gasket and mine leaked after 8000 miles.
There are many others with leaking V-R gaskets.
I bet this will be your solution and you'll not worry about a cracked VC.
Judgement day is tomorrow.. hope it's only going to be like $6-700 or atleast under 1K or i'm going to be pissed
Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #20
mikeson

My Ride: 99 323I
DON"T USE 'Victor Reinz'

Even though, they make some oem, they don't make OEM gasket for E46 and E39. DO search and you will find tons of info.
I used VR's and after 4000 miles, it leak same spot as yours.
2 days ago I replaced my gasket to OEM (bought from BMW dealer) and Vano jobs.

THe most difficult parts was cut 4 rings from Vano without scratch metal parts because seals are hard plastic like.
And I used newer OEM gasket on my 99 323 and no leak and so clean. I'm happy with OEM for now.

Last edited by mikeson; 11-23-2012 at 08:44 AM.
mikeson is offline   Reply With Quote