E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_325 View Post
Judgement day is tomorrow.. hope it's only going to be like $6-700 or atleast under 1K or i'm going to be pissed
So you want to burn $700 on something that could be DIY'ed for less than $50. I understand they'll also be doing the Vanos seals, but your problem is a leaking valve cover gasket, not Vanos seals. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Just make sure they won't be putting on a crappy Victor Reinz again (which is what they'll use regardless, and tell you otherwise)...

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT

Last edited by SeanC; 11-23-2012 at 09:11 AM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

My Ride: n/a
Who needs there parts at 10% over COST !?!?!?

BMWPartssource.com
Patrick- BMWPartsSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #23
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

My Ride: n/a
Keep us in mind for your question and cheap 10% over cost parts for this weekend only !!!!

BMWPartssource.com
Patrick- BMWPartsSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #24
Mr_325

My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
So you want to burn $700 on something that could be DIY'ed for less than $50. I understand they'll also be doing the Vanos seals, but your problem is a leaking valve cover gasket, not Vanos seals. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Just make sure they won't be putting on a crappy Victor Reinz again (which is what they'll use regardless, and tell you otherwise)...
seen some updates in here so i thought i'd respond
had to reschedule with a different shop because the shop i was originally on my way too cancelled as i was over half way done the two hr drive too them
said they didn't have enough time even though i booked a week in advance
so they will not receive my services and i booked elsewhere
the shop i'm going to is my local shop i use to use before i attempted DIY's and my car actually went almost a year without any problems or needing repairs
anyhow i'm booked in for next week and it will be $500+taxes this time instead, haven't had the option of checking which gaskets they use but they have lifetime warranty on parts.
Mr_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #25
SeanC

Wow lifetime warranty on parts! Excellent way to charge for labor! If I were the owner of your shop, I would use nothing but Victor Reinz products...

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #26
Mr_325

Quote:
Wow lifetime warranty on parts! Excellent way to charge for labor! If I were the owner of your shop, I would use nothing but Victor Reinz products...

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

well i hope for my sake he does not use Victor Reinz
there's a Indie shop 45 mins away and they charge $110/hr and use Victor Reinz VCGs

anyone know how long you can leave the VCGs for?
my leak is not huge as most aren't but because of x-mas coming i realized i've gotta fork out around $900 which will cut into my VCGs being replaced and i'm starting to think i wont be able to get them done until January
think i should be OK?

also i was starting to consider the DIY again, i still have red high temp sealent and the VANOS, just need VCGs but locally i can only find Victor Reinz gaskets at $230ca unless i checked a dealer, anyone know how much OEM's would be cheapest?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #27
SeanC

^ You should be fine until January, but there is no guarantee. Try to keep your rpms below 3k until you have it changed.

$230 CAD is about $250 US. For that money, you get at least 5 Goetze VCG sets complete with grommets shipped to your address. Go to bmaparts.com, order yours from them. They only list Victor Reinz on their web page, but they carry most other brands as well. Just give them a call.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #28
Mr_325

Quote:
^ You should be fine until January, but there is no guarantee. Try to keep your rpms below 3k until you have it changed.

$230 CAD is about $250 US. For that money, you get at least 5 Goetze VCG sets complete with grommets shipped to your address. Go to bmaparts.com, order yours from them. They only list Victor Reinz on their web page, but they carry most other brands as well. Just give them a call.
thanks and $230ca was with grommets but you see my point, they are highly priced.
then putting my own labrour in would probably be 6hrs or so since i'm not super mechanical, overall makes spending $500+taxes not as bad.
will hold out until January then, with winter coming i don't drive my car as much anyways.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #29
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Very easy to find a selection of the various VCG's if you try to shop from this list of vendors.
www.furiousmethod.com

http://www.rmeuropean.com/bmw-parts.aspx#Category
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #30
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
I just changed VCG had Victor Reinz gasket in there, leaking after 7 k miles. Spark plug portion of gasket was brittle and crack right in half. I bought Meistersatz brand, so far so good. Also used permatex ultra copper RTV on spots per BMW.

Anyone use Meistersatz ?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #31
Stinger9

Anything but Victor Reinz!!

Mine failed after 8K miles at the front half moons. Damn VR!
I marched immediately to the dealer and bought the BMW parts counter version.
It's in now and engine dry so far.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #32
pocojo68

My Ride: 2004/320i
I replaced mine recently,oem from dealer so far so good about 5000km no leaks.
pocojo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #33
Mr_325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Anything but Victor Reinz!!

Mine failed after 8K miles at the front half moons. Damn VR!
I marched immediately to the dealer and bought the BMW parts counter version.
It's in now and engine dry so far.
exactly where mines leaking
started at passenger side, front corner
now has slowly made it too half moon area
luckily it's a slow leak and i can get it fixed early next month
Old 12-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #34
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
hmm - mine too. same front corner.

Everyone should update all their writeup's and DIY's to stay away from VR's.

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #35
rbalazsi

My Ride: 323iT, 330Cic

I too have a Victor Reinz VCG that is leaking, same front corner and half moons as well. Have about 10-15k miles on it.

Ordered a new one from Tischer and will be replacing my CCV along with it. Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
rbalazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #36
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
HAHAH i'm a pretty firm believer that it just doesn't matter who's VCG you use, it will just leak due to poor design of the valve cover, etc. I've done my wife's at least 3 times in the past 3 years, all with OE Gaskets and grommets, used permatex sensor safe around the half moons, and that b**ch is leaking again this very day. I did check her cover for a crack last time and it was straight on the straight edge. I've just about had enough of this bullsh*t to dump this car. Honestly. And I DIY everything myself, but doing that job once a year (sometimes more if I have to do my car too) is slowly killing me.

Why does this happen? Why does this happen to soooo many people that own E46's? All we do is follow the manufacturer's instructions to a T and those fuukers still leak!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #37
Stinger9

Agree the VCG's of years ago were foolproof comparatively speaking.
That was then, this is now.
My oe gasket lasted till 78K with nary a problem. Only reason I replaced it was to do the vanos seals. Original came off looking just like new. I have faith that my current gasket will last until I want to take it off. If not, I'll join your age of rage.

Last edited by Stinger9; 12-06-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #38
Mr_325

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
HAHAH i'm a pretty firm believer that it just doesn't matter who's VCG you use, it will just leak due to poor design of the valve cover, etc. I've done my wife's at least 3 times in the past 3 years, all with OE Gaskets and grommets, used permatex sensor safe around the half moons, and that b**ch is leaking again this very day. I did check her cover for a crack last time and it was straight on the straight edge. I've just about had enough of this bullsh*t to dump this car. Honestly. And I DIY everything myself, but doing that job once a year (sometimes more if I have to do my car too) is slowly killing me.

Why does this happen? Why does this happen to soooo many people that own E46's? All we do is follow the manufacturer's instructions to a T and those fuukers still leak!
anyone know if there's possibly an aftermarket valve cover out there that might be less design flawed?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #39
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:

I can tell you the Victor Reinz spark plug holes portion of gasket crumbled when i took it out only 7 months old. I have Meistersatz brand in there so far all ok . We will see, any issues will try Goetz next
Old 12-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #40
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
Quote:

yeah I dont get this either. I've had 3 BMW's with M5X engines. All have had VCG problems immediately after replacing them. Either the aftermarket VCG's seat like **** or the cover/mating surface warps over time. which is why the original one lasts 90K miles without needing to be replaced, but the aftermarket/replacement ones last 5 minutes.

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote