E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
Lightweight Flywheel causing stalling?

This problem has been on and off for years for me, sometimes the engine will stall out when i stop if i do not give it a slight bit of throttle just to keep it from dropping all the way to 0. The car runs fine, idles fine, over the years i have replaced all the usual suspects, searched for vacuum leaks, and everything i can think of. All my maintenance is up to date. The only problem i have is that it may stall out when i push the clutch in and come to a stop with out giving it a little gas. I was wondering if other people with a light weight flywheel have had the same issue.
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
chris203

My Ride: 2001 330xi
similar problem.... anyone?
chris203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Yes.

But I find that it doesn't happen that often, Certainly the performance of a LTW Flywheel outweighs any of the negatives.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 06-28-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
LittleBear

My Ride: 2001 330i
I think this is correct. My car has an LTW Fly, but will only stall on rare occasion when punching the clutch in at hi revs with the A/C on. The faster RPM drop is probably the culprit.
But the LTW Fly sure makes my tranny rattle!

Murf
Old 07-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
zeppelin4

My Ride: 328ci
i have the same issue, it used to be worse before i replaced my vanos seals, but it still happens from time to time. also, as LittleBear said, i have also noticed the engine is more prone to stall with the AC is running (definitely more flywheel "chatter"). furthermore, not only does this happen with the clutch engaged, but ive also experienced this after throwing the car in neutral while rolling downhill. also, if the revs drop from too high (>2.7k-3k about) this increases the chances for stall as well...i did research about this a few years ago and some people claimed if you get your ECU re-flashed it should help alleviate this issues but I've yet to look into that more. i just downshift to at least 3rd, while braking, and engage the clutch when the revs are below 2k and i havent stalled in a couple years now, but it is annoying

Bav Auto Lightweight Fly & Sprt. Clutch
Billy Boat Performance Muff
Bilstein PSS10's
Orion V2's
zeppelin4 is offline   Reply With Quote