E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
love2drive330CI

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Popping Sound Intake Manifold Area-video

Hey Fanatics!!!

In need of your ears and knowledge. I have been researching on here for some time reviewing tons of threads trying to figure out this popping sound right at the intake manifold area. On this video which I just did tonight(yes it is all dark and dirty and me with a flashlight). But I wanted to get this sound out there now that I have my baby starting up finally after 3 months.

When the video hits right at 54 seconds you will hear the popping sounds for about 10 seconds. I have a generic code reader that gave me P0335 so I know I need a camshaft position sensor exhaust side. Ordering this today.

She died on me the day I lost my job about 3 months ago. She had been giving me rough starts/idle then I would get this pop sound and it would go away. I know I need a fuel filter and I know how the fuel pump comes up as a culprit of these symptoms/minus the popping sound. She has 193k miles...just getting broken in.

She would burn up a bit more than usual oil/yes I need several things done from VCG, OFHG, 02 sensors..etc. I have neglected her

If you don't want the long version stop here and listen to the video please in case you recognize the sound between 0:54 seconds and 1:04.
---------------

The saga--
When I tried to start her she would just about turn over but was a hair away from it. So charged battery. My friend who is a mechanic from Ford dealership/for 20+ years came over to help me. Tested battery/shot of spray in intake/still would crank hard like she wanted to start but again a hair away from turning over. He came back several days later and showed me how to do dry/wet compression test. Pulled fuel fuse (did not remove DME relay--got lucky I think!!!)and tested each from 25 to 75psi (wet they went up about 10 psi) at this point you know I wanted to cry as this is not even close to the 150 range for compression. So we were going to take it in to one of his friend's shop to get a real diagnostics etc. this week.

Here comes the weird part and the love from this forum too. I had read another post where a guy had low compression levels etc and the moon was at the right spot and my bad luck should have run its course etc. Well...I had to put her back together so I figured I would give her a shot of oil in each cylinder and clean off the spark plug's build up and reinstalled them. Battery was showing 12.4/5 in the hidden dash display. Gave her a crank/floored it and she after a few hickups started and then stopped along with giving me a little white smoke up at the engine I could not see exactly where it came from????
I rechecked the sparkplugs to make sure properly installed. I also tried to pull off the camshaft position sensor/exhaust but could not get the squeeze on the end to disengage it(wanted to check to see if oil had leaked down in the sealed cap as I read that has happened causing sensor failure). I went back and gave her a good crank and got a little backfire and she turned over!!!! I got the white smoke out of the tail pipe (like when I have done the seafoam for intake) and then the smoke cleared away and she was still idling rough but stayed on. Then I got the popping sound.

And to add one more twist about 2 years ago I had cleaned my ICV and replaced a boot; discovered that my DISA was missing the flap!!! I thought did it go into the manifold??? (I got her used with 17k miles on her so don't know if BMW shop did it before I got the car because the owner only took it to BMW for service) But didn't have any issues like this popping sound. I know I have way too many issues and need to fix them as I am able to do so now for the most part; just figured I need to start with that sound.

Thoughts??? (besides me neglecting my baby--sometimes Life happens and we have to deal with the issues in priority fashion).

I know I am rambling...its almost 3AM...thanks for reading/helping.

Thanks!

Last edited by love2drive330CI; 10-01-2012 at 01:49 AM. Reason: added mileage info
love2drive330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
love2drive330CI

I got some information from bumere46 that the popping noise is coming from the oil separator. I also found a thread from Xslavchev that posted a video and it had the same distinctive sound knocking inside the intake manifold and it was his oil separator causing problem.

Thread:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...eparator+noise

I was able to get it to the shop this evening and confirmed with the Launch Tech scan tool that the camshaft position sensor exhaust side needs to be replaced. 02 sensors as figured and tranny code 096 battery voltage issue.

Getting closer to the resolution!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
gbajwa

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
i have a similar problem and i ordered the ccv (cold weather) and just waiting to put it in. Also on my car i have a rough idle along with the popping sound. I'll let you know if it improves the car with a new ccv
gbajwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
love2drive330CI

Definitely let me know GBAJWA!

I had some help in another thread from the fanatics and I replaced my fuel pump, camshaft sensors(exhaust and intake), and cleaned MAF. I did my VCG and now it idles worse. Now when I disconnect my MAF it runs better than when connected as it idles rough to cut the point of cutting off. I rechecked VCG/plugs coils....so

I also did another compression test today before going any further down the path of needed repairs and they all were pretty much 180 across the board(a 175 185 rest 180's) with just shy of 195k miles from what I read is not too bad. Hoping I am correct on that information??????

I did have some wetness/oil on some of the plugs; I read where a fanatic had same symptoms CCV bad/throwing oil in cylinder causing misfires.

So I want to do smoke test, fuel filter and CCV/OHFG(clean TB check DISA).

Good Luck with the CCV!

Fanatics I am definitely open to comments!!!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
gbajwa

so i did get around to changing the ccv and it did the trick. No more rough idle or popping sounds. Also the lower pipe connecting the ccv and the and the dipstick tube was broken off. But its a pain to get the ccv to fit it took me 5 hours total
Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
gbajwa

also i think there was oil going to the cylinders because the top pipes of the ccv were full of oil which were connected to the manifold
Old 11-08-2012, 02:09 AM   #7
love2drive330CI

Thanks gbajwa!!! Glad it fixed the problems. This is next on my list. I also wonder and will search the forumto see if there is anything we can do about the cleaning out the build up pushed back into cylinders.

Did you have to access the bottom of vehicle or were you able to do it all from topside? I looked down through engine and it appears my dipstick is gunked up. So I don't know if I will have to replace it.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
love2drive330CI

Still have popping sound after CCV...

CCV replacement did not stop this sound as it has for others.

Did the following--new fuel pump/VCG/Compression test/CCV all new hoses/cleaned dipstick and new o-ring/OHFG/cleaned up gunk around areas/cleaned TB and new gasket/cleaned ICV/replaced upper & lower boots/cleaned MAF/fixed vacuum leak from SAP.
(no more P0171-P0174)

BMW scanner 1.4.0 codes--
DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5C/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

ABS -> 94/00 - CAN DME/DDE, engine torque not adjustable

IKE -> 11/44 - Thermal oil-level sensor
BE/48 - Data-filing difference to central light module (LCM)

Was suppose to get fuel filter replaced but have not yet.
Seems I need to get oil sensor yellow light comes on/off--oil is topped off.

If I disconnect MAF I don't get the popping sound.

I still have the popping sound below. Suggestions??

Wondering if this is my missing DISA flap

Last edited by love2drive330CI; 11-14-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: updated MAF info
love2drive330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Encryption76
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 328i
Send a message via MSN to Encryption76 Send a message via Skype™ to Encryption76
Sounds like something banging around on the outside somewhere. Don't really know. Make sure you don't have any plugs or anything loose where the fan can blow them around. Never heard that before and it is very inconsistent also.
Encryption76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Nico16

My Ride: 2000 323i
Maf?
Nico16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Nico16

Mine too, when I remove my maf no popping sound, and idling is good.

Last edited by Nico16; 11-14-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
love2drive330CI

The maf is throwing me off because it is not coming up as a problem code with the BMW scanner except when I unplug it which it should at that point.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #13
love2drive330CI

BUMP for morning/daytime crew...really need some input as to what else could be making popping sound???
I have read that some have driven without MAF for a period of time/confirm ok that it will run lean????

I thought about purchasing a borescope/Whistler Inspection camera it is currently $99.00
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...yword=whistler

Thinking "if" this is my DISA flap after all these years now bouncing around that I may be able to fish it out vs. removing manifold.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #14
Nico16

My DISA is still good but I have the popping sound, but if I disconnect my maf, no popping sound
Old 11-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
Nico16

Love2drive any news?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
love2drive330CI

No updates Nico16

Some people have had the popping sound go away when they replaced the CCV; did you check yours? Especially the lower hose that is where I had the hole in hose.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
Nico16

I changed my ccv and all hoses just last month