E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
The story behind, and within, the world’s thinnest house

The story behind, and within, the world’s thinnest house

News outlets have been calling this the world's skinniest house, and we'd be hard-pressed to argue (unless you count the square-meter house).

Squeezed into a 5-foot Warsaw alley that actually narrows further to 3 feet, the home itself is just about 50 inches wide in front and scarcely more than 2 feet wide toward the back.

The home contains a "nearly double-size" bed, a kitchen, a toilet and shower, a "bean bag sofa" and a couple of tables, according to the Associated Press. As you can see from the rendering above, some of those descriptions seem a little generous. "Nearly double-size" sounds like code for a twin bed to us, and that "sofa" appears to stretch the definition, too. (Sorry, I haven't been able to obtain interior photographs, but click on either of the photos here to go to "The world's thinnest building in pictures," a slideshow with more exterior photos, construction photos, and renderings.)

The floor space adds up to just 46 square feet, the U.K. Daily Mail says, and presumably that's with the remote-controlled entrance stairs drawn up into their flattened position. The sleeping area, which does double-duty as an office, must be accessed by wall-mounted ladder. The plumbing is apparently "boat-inspired," Arch Daily has reported, and electricity is from a neighboring building.

So is this "home" truly considered livable?

Well, yes and no.

Architect Jakub Szczesny of the Polish firm Centrala built this as a working studio for Israeli writer Etgar Keret, and other artists are expected to stay here as well. The Keret Home, as a sign on the front door declares it, is technically considered an art installation.

The PR agency representing the project told me that Keret will be "host" of the home for three years but "won't live there permanently. He will drop in from time to time, invite guests, create, etc."

Keret considers the home "kind of a memorial to my family," the AP reported. His parents survived the Holocaust in Nazi-occupied Poland, but their families were wiped out. In Tablet, a Jewish online magazine, Keret wrote about how his father managed: "During World War II, my dad, his parents, and some other people hid in a hole in the ground in a Polish town for almost 600 days. The hole was so small that they couldn't stand or lie down in it, only sit. When the Russians liberated the area, they had to carry my father and my grandparents out, because they couldn't move on their own."

Keret has just published a Tablet piece about the home, writing that "totally by accident," the home also happens to be "on the spot where a bridge had linked the small ghetto to the larger one":

"When my mother smuggled in food for her parents, she had to get past a barricade there, manned by Nazi soldiers. She knew that if she were caught carrying a loaf of bread, they'd kill her right there. And now, 72 years later, we'll have a home on that spot. A pushy little home: In the picture it looks almost as if history hadn't left room for it, but it still squeezed itself in, as if to say: A family once lived in this city. They're not here anymore, but everyone who walks past me will have to stop for a minute and look at my narrow, defiant body, look at the sign and remember that family's name."

A passerby walks past one of the world’s narrowest houses, in Warsaw, Poland, Friday, Oct. 19, 2012. The two-level Keret Home is 48 inches at its widest and was fitted into a tiny gap between buildings downtown Warsaw.

http://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces/...210352941.html
Old 10-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Awesome.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Kwando

My Ride: rolls Volks TE-37SL
Love these neat projects. Anyone have ideas on how they get to the green bean bag chair above the stairs?
Old 10-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Bsaint

My Ride: LS1 M3, Audi, VW ...
I'm more so surprised this is in Poland... then the actual building.

I lived there for a few years I didn't think they were capable of such things, figured this would be in Tokyo.

Also I'm guessing the stairs flatten when the stairway comes up? otherwise that would be pretty awkward getting to the bean bag

Last edited by Bsaint; 10-20-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Bsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
Love these neat projects. Anyone have ideas on how they get to the green bean bag chair above the stairs?
Keep your feet on the side beams and walk to it while making sure not to fall through?

I heard it has a garage too
Old 10-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsaint View Post
I'm more so surprised this is in Poland... then the actual building.

I lived there for a few years I didn't think they were capable of such things, figured this would be in Tokyo.

Also I'm guessing the stairs flatten when the stairway comes up? otherwise that would be pretty awkward getting to the bean bag
what are you trying to say about polish people?

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
Just thinking about that is giving me a panic attack.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
what are you trying to say about polish people?
Don't get all butthurt. Who cares what he meant.

And yes, my name ends in ...ski.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Last edited by Grande D; 10-20-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: SG E46, AW F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
Old 10-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
Claustrophobic, no doubt.

Where the hell is the kitchen?

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #11
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
Damn, I though it was this one.. I drive by it all the time..

http://hookedonhouses.net/2008/03/03...dria-virginia/
Old 10-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #12
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
No closet, no kitchen...wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote