E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Baro1220

My Ride: 06 530i sport 6speed
water pump diy

Water pump replacement 323i anybody have a link of a diy
i searched but seems that there bunch of stuff about it no complete write up

Thanks for your help

Seems that my w.pump puley is.making noise shoud i just do pulley or the waterpump also? Another ? do the new waterpump come with the pulley or do i have to buy it separate?
Baro1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
its probably your pulleys making the noise, but if you have never changed the water pump. you should change it and mind as well do complete cooling overhaul. there is nice write up about this from E46mango.

and to answer your inital questions. here is a nice diy http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/diy_water_pump.htm. Fyi( fan shroud must be remove if you an automatic)

Last edited by haurelio; 07-29-2012 at 07:42 PM.
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Chris3Duke

What makes you think it's making noise? Is it cracked?

The pulley is plastic, and no, the new water pump does not come with a pulley. When I replaced my water pump, I bought a new pulley (since my old one was cracked), and got a URO aluminum one.

The DIY was quite easy.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Baro1220

I can tell that w.p pulley is wobling a lil bit...

just got new pump today and picking up pulley tmrw.
should be done on the weekend.
do i need.special tool for pulley removal?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
ttrinh9

My Ride: BMW e46 330i
Do I need to remove the coolant if I'm changing JUST the water pump? I'm planning on doing it this weekend but don't know if I can just swap the water pump without touching the coolant. Thanks
ttrinh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Baro1220

no you dont but when u pull wp out lil bit of coolant will leak out so u will just open the bleed screw on expension bottle and refill it untill it starts comin out from bleed screw

very simple
Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
kowalzekc

My Ride: 99 328i
I just did mine yesturday + the Thermostat (you might as well since your right there). Here is my posing about it with a couple of links:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=946979

The biggest issue is torquing down the bolts. I snapped of the threaded studs for the water pump. Lucky me, I was able to extract it and I just used a bolt of similar length. Also, make sure you check your expansion tank for cracks as I understand it tends to go when the WP does. And if your WP is plastic, get all the pieces if it shattered. Lastly make sure you get the factory replacment as it has a metal impellor. Most that are sold at auto parts store as still plastic and many of the metal after market ones are stamped sheet metal. In my posting you can see the difference between the factory replacment and the cheap aftermarket metal one.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. This is a very easy job and if it wernt for a few minor hiccups, I would have been done it a few hour.

Good luck.
kowalzekc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Oz Striker

My Ride: '00 330Ci, '07 350Z
Hi all i have a specific query relating to if you are only just replacing the water pump. I've never done any DIYs before that involved any sort of refilling & bleeding of coolant system, but I've done all my reading up on it and feel pretty confident, so shouldn't have any issues there.

However I dont want remove my splash guard/ undertray as I've only just got it fitted securely with cable ties last week whilst the car was on ramps (dont ask, essentially cause i have M3 rep bumper). So approx how much coolant is going to spill out when i remove the water pump if i dont drain any coolant from the radiator drain plug? Is it going to be a few litres or are we talking just a small loss? Either way I'll be topping up and bleeding, but just would like to know ho much i'll be expecting and how much coolant to have handy.

My YouTube Channel incl Muffler delete vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/OzStryke...view_as=public

My blog on E46 DIYs & Mods http://lifewithabmw.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Oz Striker; 10-02-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Oz Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
kowalzekc

My Ride: 99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Striker View Post
Hi all i have a specific query relating to if you are only just replacing the water pump. I've never done any DIYs before that involved any sort of refilling & bleeding of coolant system, but I've done all my reading up on it and feel pretty confident, so shouldn't have any issues there.

However I dont want remove my splash guard/ undertray as I've only just got it fitted securely with cable ties last week whilst the car was on ramps (dont ask, essentially cause i have M3 rep bumper). So approx how much coolant is going to spill out when i remove the water pump if i dont drain any coolant from the radiator drain plug? Is it going to be a few litres or are we talking just a small loss? Either way I'll be topping up and bleeding, but just would like to know ho much i'll be expecting and how much coolant to have handy.
I would say darn near a gallon. If you just want to refill, you don't have to worry about flushing the system. However I would flush the system if your water pump already went and it was a plastic impellor. When my WP went I had to use almost a whole gallon mix. When you do it, make sure you are going to go ahead and replace the belts or pull them both because coolant on them will cause slippage and wear out quicker. Also be sure to clean the out of the pullys. As far as bleeding goes. Do not start your car but put it in the run position with the heat on max and the fan on low. Open the top of your expansion tank and remove the bleeder screw...the large plastic screw right by your filler cap. Then keep adding until the bleeder screw over flows and the level does not drop down. BINGO DONE.

Read my posting:

I just did mine yesturday + the Thermostat (you might as well since your right there). Here is my posing about it with a couple of links:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=946979

The biggest issue is torquing down the bolts. I snapped of the threaded studs for the water pump. Lucky me, I was able to extract it and I just used a bolt of similar length. Also, make sure you check your expansion tank for cracks as I understand it tends to go when the WP does. And if your WP is plastic, get all the pieces if it shattered. Lastly make sure you get the factory replacment as it has a metal impellor. Most that are sold at auto parts store as still plastic and many of the metal after market ones are stamped sheet metal. In my posting you can see the difference between the factory replacment and the cheap aftermarket metal one.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. This is a very easy job and if it wernt for a few minor hiccups, I would have been done it a few hour.

Good luck.
kowalzekc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
323i, 99, e46, pulley, water pump