E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
M3_Maniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 74
My Ride: MY 4.5 M3 SMG
Supercharger ESS vs AA

Fellow fanatics,

The modification bug has hit again (after swearing that this M3 was going to remain stock!)

I have been down the route of FI before with an M3 but that was a turbo set up but this time I want to charge it. I have read through countless pages of information and narrowed it down to two systems

1. ESS VT2 - 550 or 2. AA Stage 2 kit

On paper and dyno charts there seems to be very little difference between them. Price wise they are very similar also.

What I would like to know is feedback from those who have used either of these kits and the success you've had with them. How has the reliability been? How tunable have you found the software?

I'm almost at the point of flipping a coin so if anyone can shed some light as to which system they went for and why I would really appreciate it.

The car is an SMG and the exhaust I have chosen to run and ordered from TMS is the Supersprint V2 stepped headers, high flow cats and race rear section. I ordered a TMS subframe reinforcement kit and a complete set of new bushes at the same time.

I will do all of the work in one hit so stay tuned for a work in progress thread......

Cheers, Nicco
M3_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
LSM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 659
My Ride: E46 ///M3
Ess
__________________
___________________________________________


2006 CS M3 | ESS Tune : CSL SMG tune : Eisenmann Race : Eibach : Tekarbon
LSM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Jall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Melbourne, AUS
Posts: 1,000
My Ride: 328Ci
With no personal experience, ess seems to be getting the best reviews.
I love watching other people get the mod bug.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Bimmer App
__________________
Jall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
DE46M3guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 186
My Ride: E46 M3
Ess
DE46M3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Worx
Euro tuner
 
Worx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne CBD
Posts: 3,530
My Ride: BMW
Ess :d
__________________
Stephen,

353 Albert Street Brunswick 3056
Victoria, Australia.

Tel: 9387-4440
Web: www.worxauto.com.au
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/WorxAutomotive
Worx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
YGOAMG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Riverside: Melbourne
Posts: 11,897
My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Turbo
__________________

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Honro
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 188
My Ride: M3 E46
I currently have the ESS VT 550 installed. Im very happy with it! I havent had any problems with the kit at all. Only issue I has was that i had the underdrive pullys installed which caused me to go thru belts almost every week till it was changed back to the stock pullys...whops!

At the end of the day, I chose the ESS kit simply because I didn't like the idea of having the air intake in the bonnet (I "think" in some states its illegal to have one there too)... Hot air - there would have to be heat soak - maybe someone with more experience with the AA kit would be able to chime in with that. So having the intake in the brake duct I thought is a better idea. Just don't drive through any deep puddles!

Other things to think about is really - what will be your plans for the car? Its a good idea to get it engineered, although its not needed, if a cop pulls you over and ur unlucky enough to get defected, its gonna hurt! Saying that, if you are planning on getting it engineered, then I would say, don't install the free flow cats till afterwards. They would 100% kill your emissions test (if you need one for WA).

Tuning wise, they both come with a generic map from the USA. If your tuner can, they might tweak it to AUS conditions. But u will be happy with the tune. IMHO the ESS tune better then the stock one! Idle is ALOT better, same with hot & cold starts. Your SMG also gets a tune also - but not sure what they do to it.

The support from the ESS guys is awesome. If you have a question, they usually reply in 24hrs. They are good.

Both the ESS & AA are awesome kits - you will be happy with either. Another thing to think about, is with the ESS Kit, you will have more support as more people have them.

Biggest tip though, be prepared to have & spend money. Although the chances of something going wrong is slim, but if it does, be prepared to pay for it. Also, if you check out the vid in my sig you can see how good the install looks

Good Luck.
__________________
SOLD - 2002 M3


- MOD LIST -
- ESS VT550 SUPERCHARGER @ 307rwkw | KW V2 Coil Overs | 20' Vertini Hennisy Wheels - 20x 8.5F & 20x10R -

Watch My S/C Install Vid Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guCnA...ature=g-user-u
Honro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
Nath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 952
My Ride: MY13 Maloo
The ESS Aus distributor is a nice bloke
__________________
600hp Blown Maloo
Nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
M3_Maniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 74
My Ride: MY 4.5 M3 SMG
Thanks for your input everyone and for the detailed PM's, it's really appreciated! Next question which Aus distributor should I be using??? We don't have one here in Perth and they are both in Melbourne. Who is going to offer me the best service and after sales support??? Worx or Southern BM????
M3_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
Worx
Euro tuner
 
Worx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne CBD
Posts: 3,530
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Maniac View Post
Thanks for your input everyone and for the detailed PM's, it's really appreciated! Next question which Aus distributor should I be using??? We don't have one here in Perth and they are both in Melbourne. Who is going to offer me the best service and after sales support??? Worx or Southern BM????
Both offer the same. I can tell you that now.
__________________
Stephen,

353 Albert Street Brunswick 3056
Victoria, Australia.

Tel: 9387-4440
Web: www.worxauto.com.au
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/WorxAutomotive
Worx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
M3_Maniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 74
My Ride: MY 4.5 M3 SMG
Very diplomatic of you Stephen, lol. I have dug around and found nothing but great reports about your business but I can't say the same for Southern BM so looks like you're going to get the gig if ur interested in working with me on this. Can we do custom tune with the ESS software or am I better going an aftermarket ECU?
M3_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #12
Worx
Euro tuner
 
Worx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne CBD
Posts: 3,530
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Maniac View Post
Very diplomatic of you Stephen, lol. I have dug around and found nothing but great reports about your business but I can't say the same for Southern BM so looks like you're going to get the gig if ur interested in working with me on this. Can we do custom tune with the ESS software or am I better going an aftermarket ECU?
SBM are a very good workshop, One of the best in Melbourne. They turn out some pretty good stuff!

The ESS kit comes with good software, did you want a custom tune?
__________________
Stephen,

353 Albert Street Brunswick 3056
Victoria, Australia.

Tel: 9387-4440
Web: www.worxauto.com.au
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/WorxAutomotive
Worx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:35 AM   #13
AussieM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia ( Best Country In The World !)
Posts: 905
My Ride: 2002 e46 M3 SMG Coup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honro View Post
I currently have the ESS VT 550 installed. Im very happy with it! I havent had any problems with the kit at all. Only issue I has was that i had the underdrive pullys installed which caused me to go thru belts almost every week till it was changed back to the stock pullys...whops!

At the end of the day, I chose the ESS kit simply because I didn't like the idea of having the air intake in the bonnet (I "think" in some states its illegal to have one there too)... Hot air - there would have to be heat soak - maybe someone with more experience with the AA kit would be able to chime in with that. So having the intake in the brake duct I thought is a better idea. Just don't drive through any deep puddles!

Other things to think about is really - what will be your plans for the car? Its a good idea to get it engineered, although its not needed, if a cop pulls you over and ur unlucky enough to get defected, its gonna hurt! Saying that, if you are planning on getting it engineered, then I would say, don't install the free flow cats till afterwards. They would 100% kill your emissions test (if you need one for WA).

Tuning wise, they both come with a generic map from the USA. If your tuner can, they might tweak it to AUS conditions. But u will be happy with the tune. IMHO the ESS tune better then the stock one! Idle is ALOT better, same with hot & cold starts. Your SMG also gets a tune also - but not sure what they do to it.

The support from the ESS guys is awesome. If you have a question, they usually reply in 24hrs. They are good.

Both the ESS & AA are awesome kits - you will be happy with either. Another thing to think about, is with the ESS Kit, you will have more support as more people have them.

Biggest tip though, be prepared to have & spend money. Although the chances of something going wrong is slim, but if it does, be prepared to pay for it. Also, if you check out the vid in my sig you can see how good the install looks

Good Luck.
How much did it cost completed?
__________________
AussieM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:49 AM   #14
Honro
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 188
My Ride: M3 E46
Supplied, Installed + Custom Tune, cost me 12k.
__________________
SOLD - 2002 M3


- MOD LIST -
- ESS VT550 SUPERCHARGER @ 307rwkw | KW V2 Coil Overs | 20' Vertini Hennisy Wheels - 20x 8.5F & 20x10R -

Watch My S/C Install Vid Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guCnA...ature=g-user-u
Honro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
netgun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Posts: 474
My Ride: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe
+1 on the ESS. I've got the VT2-500 kit and 15 months on it's been all good.
netgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #16
M3 CS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,719
My Ride: Vienta Grande
Another one for ESS.

Driven Will's car and it's impressive. He's absolutely loving it! Same kit has netguns...

Having said that, if I was doing it, I'd go Turbo
__________________
Need your Prestige car detailed? Visit: www.t-wd.net

M3 CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #17
M3_Maniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 74
My Ride: MY 4.5 M3 SMG
Been down the turbo route before so thought I would try a different approach this time around. I've currently got 2 turbo cars and I do miss the instant torque my charged GTS had straight off idle. Whilst turbo charging would ultimately reap higher power gains I like the drivability you get with charging. Also I am only looking to achieve 300 - 350rwkw and that can be achieved comfortably with a supercharger without the extra work reqired going to turbo charging.
M3_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use