E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #41
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post
So a few months back I was getting some gas, notice a bike cop (local PD) had a woman pulled over in the gas station. I drive a loud car, so I'm pretty sure this is going to be a hassle when I leave. Of course, officer pulls me over as soon as I leave the station. I am respectful as I usually am with most police officers until they cross a line. This guy, exceeded that. He ticketed me for everything under the sun and told me the reason he pulled me over was my sunglasses were too big. Well.... alright, fine. Told him I was dragging his ass to court and would have everything thrown out.

Fast forward a few months, I drag his ass to court with evidence and all sorts of stuff to get it thrown out. Turns out the moron forgot his paperwork, had 6 cases thrown out and was laid into by the judge.

This morning.

The SAME FUC!IN COP pulls me over. I immediately notice its the same guy so I'm a little hesitant, but still respectful, maybe he changed his ways. Nope. The as*shole decides today hes going to ticket me for everything again (front license plate, clear corners, too low, modified exhaust (all the same sh!t)) and this time the icing on the cake is I have a sticker in my windshield obstructing my view!

Guess its back to court. Think this guy might be targeting my car at this point, any recourse I can take against this officer?
Those are all traffic offenses. Once amonth, you are subject to pay the fines or get rid of the ILLEGAL MODS.

This isn't rocket science. You need to take responsibility for your actions. Blame the cop? Blame yourself.

Last edited by Carskibum; 10-02-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Carskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #42
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Previously:

1.) Front license plate.

2.) Modified exhaust.

3.) Car height.

4.) Clear corners.

5.) Tire size.

6.) Registration sticker.

7.) Insurance card.

7.) Sunglass width obstructing vision.

Today:

1.) Obstructing front windshield.

2.) Insurance card. This is funny, cause I have the insurance card in front of me which I gave him and it is 100% valid and it was the same last time. Not quite sure he can read.

3.) Front license plate. Meh, whatever, I'll throw it back on and get it written off. This one is actually justifiable for a ticket I guess. Silly though.

4.) Car height.

5.) Modified exhaust.

6.) Clear corners.

Guess I got off with the tire size this time, lol. Which is kind of odd, cause the stickers were on the last time he pulled me over too.
what is in bold is what your problem is. everything else is [even more] minor.
what exhaust mods are you running? have you read the vehicle code section regarding exhausts?

cvc 27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all
times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and
properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and
no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass,
or similar device.

cvc 27150.2. (a) Stations providing referee functions pursuant to
Section 44036 of the Health and Safety Code shall provide for the
testing of vehicular exhaust systems and the issuance of certificates
of compliance only for those vehicles that have received a citation
for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151.

(b) A certificate of compliance for a vehicular exhaust system
shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the vehicle complies
with Sections 27150 and 27151. Exhaust systems installed on motor
vehicles, other than motorcycles, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle
weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds comply with Sections 27150
and 27151 if they emit no more than 95 dbA when tested
in accordance
with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998.

cvc 27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with
Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an
exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor
vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less
than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or
less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers
Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle
exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to,
nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

if you get cited for it, go to a referee, get the decibles checked, acquire a certificate of compliance, and carry it with you. otherwise, you're in constant violation.
since a motor cop isn't going to crawl under your car to see if you have catalytic converters or check your sound decible level, he merely writes you for the violation. getting it "signed off" isn't a solution. you would still be in violation.

i don't care for some CVC laws either, but at least look like you're making an attempt to comply and you won't get hassled. i have a dumb looking front plate on my car- and a pretty quiet aftermarket exhaust.

you got cited for a few legitimate things, and roll by the same cop looking the same way a few months later and don't expect him to stop and write you again?

^ DD.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #43
drewzworld

My Ride: 04 Jetblack 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
Next time show him your tits.
Haha +1 cops don't understand our addictions. Mods are better than crack, I'm just sayin
drewzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #44
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Exactly what I am going to do. It's just an inconvenience.

But I guess JonJon would take it all the way to the Supreme Court if he could.
Yes..... because the USSC hears motor vehicle code violation cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 10-02-2012 at 11:22 AM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #45
blownE30M3

My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Yes..... because the USSC hears motor vehicle code violation cases
lol sarcasm > you.

Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #46
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
lol sarcasm > you.
Officer PulledYaTwice > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #47
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
So a few months back I was getting some gas, notice a bike cop (local PD) had a woman pulled over in the gas station. I drive a loud car, so I'm pretty sure this is going to be a hassle when I leave. Of course, officer pulls me over as soon as I leave the station. I am respectful as I usually am with most police officers until they cross a line. This guy, exceeded that. He ticketed me for everything under the sun and told me the reason he pulled me over was my sunglasses were too big. Well.... alright, fine. Told him I was dragging his ass to court and would have everything thrown out.

Fast forward a few months, I drag his ass to court with evidence and all sorts of stuff to get it thrown out. Turns out the moron forgot his paperwork, had 6 cases thrown out and was laid into by the judge.

This morning.

The SAME FUC!IN COP pulls me over. I immediately notice its the same guy so I'm a little hesitant, but still respectful, maybe he changed his ways. Nope. The as*shole decides today hes going to ticket me for everything again (front license plate, clear corners, too low, modified exhaust (all the same sh!t)) and this time the icing on the cake is I have a sticker in my windshield obstructing my view!

Guess its back to court. Think this guy might be targeting my car at this point, any recourse I can take against this officer?
You got lucky the first time.
Why didn't you fix the infractions?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #48
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
This is why I don't show up police officers. They can make your life hell, especially if your car is heavily modified, and in state like California. We already have a bad rep being BMW owners. I personally don't have the time to take things like this to court.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #49
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Guess other poster was right. Car was inspected previously and found to be within confines of the law, including a decibel test on the exhaust.

I've had plenty of run ins with police officers, perhaps due to the nature of the car or otherwise, they have all been very polite and not circled my car like they are an inspection officer. This particular officer seems to have a stick up his ass considering I was pulled over for something trivial like this. If I was speeding and actually presenting a danger, sure, ticket me. Pulling me over for sunglasses and a window sticker, cmon.

We're car people here, this isn't a purse forum, we modify our cars and enjoy them. It seems you choose to side with the officers who ticket us for enjoying our cars, more power to you brother, maybe this isn't the forum for you.
hey, i'll agree that some of it is stupid. i wouldn't write it if even if you pissed me off... simply because i wouldn't care.
you don't think my truck gets attention? i get it- you're frustrated, but it doesn't quite sound like you're 100% in compliance, either. and being a motor cop takes a special kind of robot.. er, i mean- person.
do the best you can, stay polite, i'm sure your sarcastic "the sidewalk?" comment about your window sticker didn't help you either. and carry that certificate of compliance with you.

^ DD.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #50
blownE30M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

what exhaust mods are you running? have you read the vehicle code section regarding exhausts?
i don't care for some CVC laws either, but at least look like you're making an attempt to comply and you won't get hassled. i have a dumb looking front plate on my car- and a pretty quiet aftermarket exhaust.

you got cited for a few legitimate things, and roll by the same cop looking the same way a few months later and don't expect him to stop and write you again?
It's just a Magnaflow Catback. M3's are raspy though. I'll take the citations and get them dismissed, that's not the problem. I have no complaints doing that, I take responsibility for the modifications. If I get pulled over for them fine, I will pay my $25 and get them dismissed every time. That's not what I'm griping about.

The two times I have been pulled over by this officer is for sunglasses and a window sticker, not the modifications. Those citations are after the fact after he decides to be a dbag, which like I said, I put em on, I take responsibility for them.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #51
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Guess other poster was right. Car was inspected previously and found to be within confines of the law, including a decibel test on the exhaust.

I've had plenty of run ins with police officers, perhaps due to the nature of the car or otherwise, they have all been very polite and not circled my car like they are an inspection officer. This particular officer seems to have a stick up his ass considering I was pulled over for something trivial like this. If I was speeding and actually presenting a danger, sure, ticket me. Pulling me over for sunglasses and a window sticker, cmon.

We're car people here, this isn't a purse forum, we modify our cars and enjoy them. It seems you choose to side with the officers who ticket us for enjoying our cars, more power to you brother, maybe this isn't the forum for you.
In for picture of pimping sunglasses.

Last edited by Master Po; 10-02-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #52
blownE30M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post

Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #53
E36Eric

My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #54
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
If the tickets are legit, you have no grounds.

If they are not, file a complaint.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #55
Jroo

My Ride: hooptie
You said that some of the items you had inspected and cleared. I would keep my paperwork along with any court related documents in the car at all times. I know how it works in Va not where you are. Guys would keep their inspection stuff in the car and would show it to cops that pulled them over. Basically saying to the cop before you write, know that the stuff you are writing was cleared and I will show that in court where I got off before. Also if it is the same cop again, guys here will ask for his superior officer to come to the scene and present the same stuff to him.
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #56
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
This is why you need a voice recorder.

When I got pulled over for no front plate on my E46, I had illegal tint, loud exhaust, white turn signals (cop saw them since he was behind me) and for some reason I didn't have my current registration with me (it expired a couple days prior).

Officer gave me a warning on the plate, and didn't even walk back to run my license (although he probably ran my plate prior to pulling me over).

Being nice goes a long way sometimes. There are then officers like this who want to screw you over any given chance.

This is kinda like know your gun laws if you have a conceal carry license. Print out the laws, know them, keep them on you.

Last edited by Locutus09; 10-02-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Locutus09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #57
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
I make it a point as soon as the officer says hello (which he didnt) and I say hello to ask what I am being pulled over for. SPECIFICALLY. He said my front windshield sticker was obstructing my view. I responded with, my view of what, the sidewalk? At that point he started mouthing off, so I responded back with knowing who he was and how last time he pulled this sh!t I had it all thrown out like I would this time. He then walked my car like that last time and wrote up everything he could find.

Just because my car is a cop magnet does not mean it is breaking the law. Like I posted before, all the citations I received were erroneous and all the modifications were within the law. I show respect where respect is given, just because he is a police officer doesn't mean he can pull me over and act like an assh*ole. If he starts mouthing off to me, he's gonna get it right back. It felt awesome to say, 'hey remember last time, yeah, told you'.
i can somewhat sympathize with your situation since ive added up over 20 tickets with all of the fix its and everything. but you are in ca dude. i can almost guarantee your car is too low, exhaust is too loud, the obstruction of view IS justified under VC

edit:damnit someone already quoted the vehicle codes. ah well. this may work for you.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #58
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #59
BreakMyWallet

btw. never try to show a cop up. just makes it worse. dont ask what youre being pulled over for, obviously hes going to tell you. dont say youll take him to court. just act like nothing and move on. be polite and respectful. usually if they pull you over they have decided to write you a ticket. especially if they are staked out somewhere. sometimes you get lucky. ive maybe gotten out of it 4 times, unless you have boobs, there are not many ways to talk yourself out of a ticket. imo
Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #60
BreakMyWallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

cvc 27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all
times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and
properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and
no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass,
or similar device.

cvc 27150.2. (a) Stations providing referee functions pursuant to
Section 44036 of the Health and Safety Code shall provide for the
testing of vehicular exhaust systems and the issuance of certificates
of compliance only for those vehicles that have received a citation
for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151.

(b) A certificate of compliance for a vehicular exhaust system
shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the vehicle complies
with Sections 27150 and 27151. Exhaust systems installed on motor
vehicles, other than motorcycles, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle
weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds comply with Sections 27150
and 27151 if they emit no more than 95 dbA when tested
in accordance
with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998.

cvc 27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with
Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an
exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor
vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less
than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or
less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers
Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle
exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to,
nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

if you get cited for it, go to a referee, get the decibles checked, acquire a certificate of compliance, and carry it with you. otherwise, you're in constant violation.
since a motor cop isn't going to crawl under your car to see if you have catalytic converters or check your sound decible level, he merely writes you for the violation. getting it "signed off" isn't a solution. you would still be in violation.

they dont need to check the db. if they can hear it from 50 feet they can ticket you.