E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
TheJonRoss

My Ride: 2002 325xi, 2005 X5
OEM Bluetooth Compatibility

Afternoon all,

My 3'er is pre-wired for the hands-free Bluetooth system. We have a few pick n' pull salvage yards around here that I tend to frequent and I got to thinking.

If I were to come across a BMW of similar age (or not) that has the Bluetooth kit installed, which models would have compatible TCU's and antennas that I could toss in the E46?

The built in hands-free isn't worth enough for me to buy the retrofit kits/OEM equipment, hence the pick n' pull.

Thanks in advance!

BMWCCA# 473325

Join the Experience
TheJonRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
There's a very comprehensive floating around with PNs and compatibility, if I can find it I'll post it.. But you probably want to first check that it's a bluetooth enable TCU as opposed to a non-Bluetooth one. The Bluetooth ones all have the Pass Key printed on the stickers. If no Pass Key, then no Bluetooth.. As for compatibility, the newer PNs are usually reverse compatible in older cars since they usually supersede an older PN, and most of them should work in any car without issues.. I also know that there were bugs in the older PNs that were fixed as the years went by..

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
Ideally you'll want something out of the '05+ models. I've tried some of the newest ones and found some of them to be incompatible with the e46 models. Some software wise and some of the newer ones don't plug in to the factory harness 100%. Best to look for one from '05 non-m or '05-'06 M3 and make sure it has the bluetooth symbol on the sticker. As for Pass Key, I've seen Bluetooth units with a Pass Key Number designation and ones without.

If you have something like a PA Scanner, you can enable BT yourself if needed in addition to changing the BT Name and Pass code.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Here is the issue, you cannot use the units from the E9x series or newer BMW's as they have a fiber optic interface.

You can use anything from an E46, E38, E39, X5, or the X3 series that do not have the fiber optic interface. You might be able to also use something from the Z4 as well. Note the E46 sedan and touring ended in 2005, the E46 coupe and convertible stopped in 2006.

Make sure the unit has the BT Passcode printed on the module.

You may want to check http://www.bimmernav.com/ for more info.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
TheJonRoss

My Ride: 2002 325xi, 2005 X5
Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep my eyes peeled. The newest junker they have is an E36, so I've gotta wait for now. I did order a Homelink unit which should be here next week, so that will give me something to do.

Thanks again!

BMWCCA# 473325

Join the Experience
TheJonRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
OP just so you know, you can use either a TCU module or ULF module for bluetooth communication. Ideally, the latest gen (13th) TCU module will work with no issues when using smart phones.
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote