E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
nbakhrani

My Ride: 2003 325xi
repairing and upgrading suspension! Need advice on purchasing parts

I had a few questions regarding what i need to purchase for some of the issues i am having with the car. my car vibrates if i go over 50 and also i cannot keep the car in control it seems to shift randomly when i am going over 60 mph. its not the alignment thats causing but feels like there are parts that are loose in there. it also makes a clunking noise on the right side whenever i go on small bumps. and the last thing is that if i am driving over 50 and i break the car seems to lean one direction rather than braking straight and the steering wheel also shakes a lot till it gets down to 40 mph. The issue seems to be the control arm bushings and sway bar links.

I am debating wether i should purchase the bushings only or buy the whole control arm. I am on a tight budget and if i can live with just replacing the bushings that would be great.
this is the price for the whole control arm
http://www.oembimmerparts.com/produc...ntrarmbkit.htm

I also want to purchase 2 front inner ball joints, 2 front sway bar links, and 1 rear lower control arm. Would this be good and am i missing anything else?
http://www.oembimmerparts.com/shoppingcart.asp?

I also wanted to find out if u guys recommend a website where i can get just the control arm bushings because that whole kit is just very expensive. IF needed i will end up buying it. i want to make sure that what i am purchasing so far is what is needed and if i need to add anything else to my list. thanks!
nbakhrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Kubica

If you are on a budget, just replace parts that have failed.

Powerflex fcabs and links are short money. The inner ball joints are probably ok still. It easy to figure out if the outer ball joints are worn, which is the only reason to replace the control arm. Rear control arms are usually good unless they get bent and the vehicle can't be aligned in spec.

Sounds like you need new front rotors and pads. A bad strut can cause vibrations too.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
How many miles?

I've got an 02 330xi with 60k - I had to replace the front control arms and the bushings... Solved the issues you are describing with shaking. Swaybar links are probably worth doing also.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, consider Meyle HD - I believe their control arms are put together in a way in which the ball joints can be replaced without having to replace the arm itself. Had I known this, I probably would have passed on the lemfoerder arms that i bought.
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
If you plan on keeping the car for a while, consider Meyle HD - I believe their control arms are put together in a way in which the ball joints can be replaced without having to replace the arm itself. Had I known this, I probably would have passed on the lemfoerder arms that i bought.
This is only for RWD cars. The Xi is not compatible.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
No body makes a Front Lower Control Arm for an XI that has the replaceable Outer Ball Joints, so forget that option right away. Definitely need to do some checking before just buying parts. That said, depending on the mileage, there are quite a few things that can lead to your problem; worn out outer ball joint(s), worn out/torn front lower control arm bushings, front sway bar links, worn tie rod ends, as well as front struts that are "used" up. For front lower control arm bushings, go with the PowerFlex Urethane ones, cost is the same as the rubber ones, easier to install, will last longer and if not damaged, can be reused. Debate here on which ones to get; the correct ones for an E46 XI have an off-set hole, though others have been using a centered hole E36 PowerFlex Bushing.
Why are you "replacing" one rear lower control arm? On a budget I can understand only doing what needs to be done, usually better though to replace control arms, bushings, tie rod ends, sway bar links, struts, shocks, rear upper shock mounts, pads and rotors in pairs.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
nbakhrani

my car has 105,000 miles so pretty much a lot of the suspension parts will need to be replaced. I guess a better question would be that i have a budget of about 900 to 1000 for parts so what parts would be the best thing to replace for now considering the issues i mentioned earlier? if i replace the whole control arm thats 650 right there so i have 350 for the rest of it
nbakhrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
ModBargains IV
Sponsor

My Ride: E90 335i, Honda Fit
If your steering wheel is shaking while you brake, that's most likely something to do with your brakes - i.e. warped rotors. Clunking sounds like it may be blown shocks. In any case, hopefully you can get everything figured out and get back on the road.

-Frank

We Specialize In: BMW Rims | BMW Tail Lights | BMW Exhaust | Remus Exhaust | Injen Intake | KW Suspension
Frank Kim | Frank@Modbargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext 8003
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00AM-6:00PM, Saturday 8:00AM-5:00PM (PST)
| Our Blog
ModBargains IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
Mine does the same thing as far as the shaking steering wheel goes, it evens does it at the same speed around 40-50mph. I'm doing the brakes which will include replacing the rotors this weekend. I'll let you know if this fixes the issues in my car.
E46er75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
Just to follow up. I replaced my both front rotors and pads this morning and problem solved. Smooth as new!
E46er75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
5speed30

My Ride: 2002 e46xi
if its not vibrating at lower speeds like cruising around town and only at highway speeds id check the tires, might need rebalanced. Could also be rotors but getting them turned at napa instead of buying new ones will save you bank and as for doing whole control arms, no real need to replace the whole thing unless the ball joints shot which you can check easily. definitely get the bushings and links though
5speed30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
yo_marc

My Ride: 05 325xi
I chased a strange 60mph+ vibration in my '05 325xi for a while. Replaced worn front end components, still vibed - new tires, still vibed. Thought it may have been the guibo, center support bearing, or dry CV's.

Gave up on it and let the local BMW shop work it out. Ended up being two bent stock rims. Got 'em straightened for about $150 a pop.
yo_marc is offline   Reply With Quote