E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Nick_M3

My Ride: 2005 325ci
NEW SPEC DOCK iPhone 5

Hey just wanted to let everyone know if they didn't already that spec is making a new dock for the ashtray that will fit the iPhone 5 specifically. See email from bsw below:

"Scored a new iPhone 5? Of course you did! Now, how do we integrate it into your BMW? It's easy.

If you already have an interface in your car and DO NOT have a spec.dock, you'll just pick up one of these adapters directly from Apple: http:
//store.apple.com/us/product/MD823/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

If you already have an interface in your car and DO have a spec.dock, you have a couple options! The first would be picking up this style adapter from Apple and having your phone sit near the Dock. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...n-adapter-02-m
The other will be sending it off to 2point5 to have it updated to the new lightning cable, so you can use your dock as designed!

We will of course have an updated dock available shortly after the release of the iPhone 5, which will also work for those of you moving into the new iPods using the Lightning port as well! Updates as we have them will be announced here on FB as well as our website, www.bavsound.com so stay tuned!

Best Regards,

Halston Pitman | Bavsound
Audio Solutions for Your BMW

web: www.bavsound.com
email: rhp@bavsound.com
phone: (404) 963-8857
fax: 404.605.0525"

Last edited by Nick_M3; 09-23-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Nick_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
BMMR328

My Ride: BMW 328i E90 2007
You should also mention that updates to the Spec Dock can be followed at www.specdock.com. Im sure BMW fanactics would want to get their information direct from the makers of Spec Dock.
BMMR328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
$40 for the adapter...smart idea Apple...should have been free with the purchase....millions of products use the old style adapter....everyone will be force to purchase this.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
BMMR328

My Ride: BMW 328i E90 2007
Wow free? really? Im just surprised that Apple changed the dock connector being after 10 years or so. That's a long time not to change it. It was inevitable to change it, in order to make the iphone slim and to change with new technology. Ok, back to your comment, imagine retail is $40 per connector, with 5 million units or so sold (in the last week alone), so your talking about $200,000,000 in Apple's bottom line? I don't think any company regardless if you are a multi-billion dollar company would take that type of expense. If it cost a $5 to make the adapter, its still $25 million. Lets just say this, when was the last time you had something over 10 years and not be obsolete.
BMMR328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Nick_M3

Also there are always inexpensive adapting options such as 3rd party cords and amazon.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_M3 View Post
Also there are always inexpensive adapting options such as 3rd party cords and amazon.
Not if this business of in-cord microprocessors comes into play...

http://gizmodo.com/5945889/some-thir...our-new-iphone

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
true but why not make it $20? With the $40 price tag its obvious their goal wasn't to make a new technology charger....its was to make even more money. This new cord wont just be for the iphone...im sure the ipad and ipod will be the same now.

If you look at the port where you plug in the new adapter it is thinner but by how much? 1 or 2 centimeters? Millions of after market companies are screwed so your iphone can be 2 centimeters thinner? As a consumer paying $40 bucks isnt a big deal. As a company providing gadgets for Apple it is kind of a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMMR328 View Post
Wow free? really? Im just surprised that Apple changed the dock connector being after 10 years or so. That's a long time not to change it. It was inevitable to change it, in order to make the iphone slim and to change with new technology. Ok, back to your comment, imagine retail is $40 per connector, with 5 million units or so sold (in the last week alone), so your talking about $200,000,000 in Apple's bottom line? I don't think any company regardless if you are a multi-billion dollar company would take that type of expense. If it cost a $5 to make the adapter, its still $25 million. Lets just say this, when was the last time you had something over 10 years and not be obsolete.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
true but why not make it $20? With the $40 price tag its obvious their goal wasn't to make a new technology charger....its was to make even more money. This new cord wont just be for the iphone...im sure the ipad and ipod will be the same now.

If you look at the port where you plug in the new adapter it is thinner but by how much? 1 or 2 centimeters? Millions of after market companies are screwed so your iphone can be 2 centimeters thinner? As a consumer paying $40 bucks isnt a big deal. As a company providing gadgets for Apple it is kind of a big deal.
Peripheral companies should be in love with Apple for this change.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I have a friend that works in procurement for a big company (Not apple...) and he mentioned that he 30 dollar Apple charger for the IPAD cost < 1 dollar wholesale... I'm thinking the adapter is < 50 cents to build tops.

Dave (Have apples hate some things about them but they don't cause me trouble.)
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
People didn't give me no boolsheet how changing the dock will make any difference
All you would be able fit fine in the old charging system and it's just connecting point which old system had lots to fit all they had to do is make a +and - to charge the new iphone on the old system at least
Old 10-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Nick_M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post

I agree that yes it's expensive but so is everything apple and yes these cords probably do only cost 50 cents to produce but do you think there isn't a crazy mark up on other products like watches, nikes, phone cases, car parts. Now granted yes this phone isn't much thinner than the previous but apple products would never get thinner period without changing. So this new connector is something that will be adapted for the next ten years for products we can't even imagine. Also keep in mind it had been used since 2001 when was the last time you could but something for a piece of technology and have it not becoming outdated for that kind if time frame.