E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Have you ever fallen asleep when driving?

If so, where were you and how did you wake up?

I fell asleep on 101 before early in the morning. Swerved into the other lane and this guy in an SUV had to swerve onto the shoulder. He honked at me and I went back into my lane. That was really scary and I felt like a complete idiot.

I consider myself to be a pretty competent and alert driver, so for this to happen to me makes me realize how easy it could happen to anyone.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
francogt1

My Ride: E30 M3
Send a message via AIM to francogt1
many times , it sucks
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
king kong

My Ride: mid-engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by francogt1 View Post
many times , it sucks
+1
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I can't even fall asleep in my bed half the time, let alone driving.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
just once, and for about a second. nothing happened at all, but it was still pretty scary
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
E46_Project

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Yes, drunk and fell asleep. Drove my trailblazer into a guardrail
E46_Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Kwando

My Ride: rolls Volks TE-37SL
Came close. Watch my brother doze off and had to steer from the passenger seat. Definitely scary.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Vade46!!!

My Ride: '03 AW 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by francogt1 View Post
many times , it sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
+1
+2

'07 Victory Red Corvette Z51 3LT
Vade46!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
RossGuy

My Ride: FBM
I used to have this happen alot when I did fire suppression and installs at night. Pretty much worked two shifts a day for 6 months. I'd try everything to stay up from windows down in the winter, music full blast, pissing dunkin donuts coffee. I'd still find my self swerving or waking up in another lane. One time i was up at about 4am for an inspection, worked all day, then went to my chicks place at college. About 11pm I get a call from a new guy in trouble. He's on a late night inspection and has tripped the alarm and can't reset it. No electric, no gas, busy restaurant in Schaumburg. I drove all the way back from Bloomington, got my truck, then another hour to the job. I get there an sh!t is real f@cked up fire code wise..........we didn't leave till noon the next day. I had a short drive back to Addison and fell asleep and almost slammed head on with a semi. I woke up feet away and monster trucked it into a field. In short..... don't risk it. Falling a sleep while hurdling a few thousand pounds down the road is nothing to play with. I did make a nonstop trip from Chicago to Austin a few years ago..........thanks coke.
RossGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
I fell asleep while driving way too many times
Used to try to make it to my destination no matter what... but now I just pull over and sleep for as long as needed before driving again (sometimes just need a few minutes and I am good to go)

One time, I was coming back from vegas to la... didn't sleep during the two days there
I fell asleep going up the mountain
When I woke up I was going 90mph UPHILL and I was coming up to the rear of a semi truck....
Another 6-8 seconds and I would have crashed into the semi

I drove between va and ny/nj so many times by myself ... I am thankful that I have never crashed for all the times that I have dozed off while driving

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
BimmerIsMyName

My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
Never have. I'm smart enough to get off the road if i don't feel safe

2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback, 18" BBS CK
BimmerIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerIsMyName View Post
Never have. I'm smart enough to get off the road if i don't feel safe
+1

had to pull-off twice because i felt my eyes drooping. fuck this "it could happen to anyone" BS.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
BimmerIsMyName

My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
If i do have to drive through the night i can do it with Red Bull or Coffee. Once i begin to feel off, i get off the road

2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback, 18" BBS CK
BimmerIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
literally use to 3 times a week. worked at 3am. done by 8am. hour drive home. usually woke up by the reflectors
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
No. I got close twice. Both times I pulled into a truck stop and took a nap.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #16
325iExecutive

My Ride: an immigrant like me
couple of times.... now I pull over for a power nap

2001 - TL
2005 - 325i
2008 - Mazda CX9
325iExecutive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I used to put on over 1000 miles a week and although i hadn't fallen asleep at the wheel, i would constantly have the most vivid dreams of dozing off at the wheel and wake up horrified as i would sit up and grab for the wheel quick, have a mini heart attack then go back to bed. This happened multiple times a week for several months and drove me crazy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #18
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
I did once. I stopped remembering things about 4 miles from where I woke up. When I came to, the car was off, headlights were off (this car didn't have auto headlights, so they should have stayed on), and I could feel the car still rolling, first reflex was slam the brakes (engine was off, so no brake booster), which seemed odd, since brakes generally hold enough pressure to not be rock hard on the first press, meanwhile I hit the ignition and gots the lights back on, SUV was on a slow right turn towards a large open area off the road. needless to say my adrenaline got me energized enough to complete the (short) journey. Another odd thing was that it had also been about half an hour since the point I was last awake.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
When I was younger I remember driving in the middle of the night a few times when I'd suddenly realize that I couldn't remember driving the last 20-30 miles. I would look at an exit sign and think "when did THAT come up?" So I dunno if I sort of zoned out and drove on autopilot or what, but fortunately I don't drive in the middle of the night anymore so it hasn't been an issue for decades.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #20
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
I did once. I stopped remembering things about 4 miles from where I woke up. When I came to, the car was off, headlights were off (this car didn't have auto headlights, so they should have stayed on), and I could feel the car still rolling, first reflex was slam the brakes (engine was off, so no brake booster), which seemed odd, since brakes generally hold enough pressure to not be rock hard on the first press, meanwhile I hit the ignition and gots the lights back on, SUV was on a slow right turn towards a large open area off the road. needless to say my adrenaline got me energized enough to complete the (short) journey. Another odd thing was that it had also been about half an hour since the point I was last awake.
dude, you were ****ing abducted by aliens. did you get probed?

Last edited by pancakes; 10-08-2012 at 09:12 PM.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote