E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
adr1an

My Ride: Carbon Black E46 M3
My M3's Rear view mirror is leaking... yay. ;)

I was searching around trying to find other people with the same problem - and I guess a bunch of the M5 owners are having the same problem. I was curious if anyone knew the following:

a.) what is leaking out of the mirror, and/or is it harmful. (I'm assuming it has something to do with the auto dimming).

b.) To get an OEM replacement, what's the best place to go for a decent price? Dealership wants something like 600 bucks.

Also, what's the best way to clean this gunk off my center console?
adr1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr1an View Post
I was searching around trying to find other people with the same problem - and I guess a bunch of the M5 owners are having the same problem. I was curious if anyone knew the following:

a.) what is leaking out of the mirror, and/or is it harmful. (I'm assuming it has something to do with the auto dimming).

b.) To get an OEM replacement, what's the best place to go for a decent price? Dealership wants something like 600 bucks.

I think even if the car is out of warranty they would still "good faith" swap it out for you since it's not uncommon. My brother's '03 M3 also went out and it was covered by the dealership. His didn't leak as far as I know, just got dark spots on it and the dim feature didn't work. He didn't even know it wasn't dimming until I drove it one night and told him it was ka-put.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 AM   #3
adr1an

that would be amazing. It's a 2002 with 35,000 miles - so I don't know what they are going to say. Just seems like a strange problem to have. My mirror completely fogged at this point, cars behind me are just a huge blur.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
fri_mar_13

My Ride: M3
i wish they would replace the mirror- seems like a defective part considering all the people that have this issue. It seems to go out when it get hot... which mine did. Although its hard to say hot in Seattle. I have an '02 and my dealership couldn't even confirm whether or not its covered by my CPO warranty. Its been like a month- and they haven't contacted me (like they said they would) to tell me if its covered. When I contacted BMW they too said they would get back to me. Its been several weeks at that too. I guess it bothers me that out of all the cars I have ever owned that the rear view mirror would fail me...
fri_mar_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
Deep Blue
Banned

My Ride: M52TUB28
take some pictures
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
Shuskan3

My Ride: 2004 M3
there was a forum about this on m3forum and the guy was saying what is coming out is harmful let me try to find that thread

Edit: here you go remove the mirror now here is the thread
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...mirror+leaking
Hardwired V1 ~ Turner Motorsport Front and Rear Sways w/ Ground Control Endlinks ~ Powerflex RTAB’s ~ OEM BMW Performance SSK ~ ZHP Shift Knob ~ Painted Reflectors ~ Bluetooth ~ Satellite Radio ~ CDV Delete ~ Clutch Stop ~ Euro Tray ~ 19” CSL Wheels ~
18” OEM Wheels for the track

Shuskan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
ianbiz

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to ianbiz
The same thing happened in my mom's TL. Dealer covered labor and we paid for the mirror since the car was out of warranty for 6,000 miles.

ianbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #8
mfanatic325

My Ride: Z4MC, 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to mfanatic325
anything OEM, a good bet would be Tischer BMW.
PM "Evan@Tischer" on e46fanatics and ask for part #'s and quotes
VF570 S/C|TIAL BOV|SetRabCooler|Brembo GT 6/4|TE37s|NT05s|3.91 Gearing|TCK D/A|RPi Induction|SS Race Mufflers/X-pipe|JVT Headers|AS SSK|VibraTechnics Mounts|Sparco Pro2000/6pt.Harness|MS FloorMounts|SE Custom Harness Bar|Tekarbon Angels|M-Tech Pedals|OE Strut Bar|RE RSMs|8000K D2S|CDV DEL|CF Roof Wrap|MB Grills|UUC TrannyMounts/ClutchStop|V1 Mount|P3C Gauge

mfanatic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:23 AM   #9
caaznkid

My Ride: BMW 325i
o.O leaking? I did not even know there was anything liquid in that mirror.
caaznkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:04 AM   #10
adr1an

well I went to the dealership, and the guy told me it was component failure and that it wasn't covered. It frustrates me, as the car has such low milage... I said something like "My car may be 5 years old, but based on the milage you can see how often this car has been driven... blah blah blah" and he said it didn't matter. I guess I understand, as I own a computer company and if someone came in with an LCD that had been used 10 times in 3 years, but it had failed - I'd be saying "it's out of the 3 year warranty" as well - but at the same time, I'd at least try to work with the customer to hook them up with something at cost, or something - ya know? Customer service maybe?

meh, I'm just ranting I realize it's pointless to argue.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:17 AM   #11
adr1an

btw, extremely helpful information above. Thank you so much - hopefully everything works out. Sadly my center console is trashed.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
Jim Ringold

My Ride: E46 M3 - 4.8X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr1an View Post

This is a big problem with the oval M3 mirrors after a time. The liquid crystal goes bad, liquifies, and sometimes leaks out. BMW would not do a free replacement on my '02 M3. The mirror cost me $330 with a special dealer discount. Just another one of the defective products from a BMW supplier that BMW will not stand behind after the warranty period. Sorry, Jim
Jim Ringold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:06 AM   #13
adr1an

Update! My mirror is being replaced by Magna Donnelly, who manufactured the mirrors. Incase anyone else has this issue, you can email: Dani.Andriacchi@magnadon.com or call the phone number in the contact section of magnadon.com and speak to someone about the problem. All you have to do is fill out a form and send it to them along with pictures of the mirror/damage. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future!

Adrian
Old 08-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
andyjohn21

My Ride: 2004 330i
Thanks for the advice...I spoke with Dani at Magna Donnelly and they are replacing my mirror for free as we speak.

Too bad they cant do anything about my interior though.

Thanks
andyjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #15
raakME-CU

My Ride: BMW 3
Damn..The dim on my mirror covers only 60-70% of the mirror surface. Mine is still under original warranty until 10/2007 (and CPO until 2009). I will contact the dealership and see what they say about replacing mine.
raakME-CU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #16
fusionrace

My Ride: 2001 325i
I am glad I found this thread. As my M3 mirror went out just today.
fusionrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #17
raakME-CU

My Ride: BMW 3
Just got it replaced under warranty at VOB in Rockville MD. First they put the mirror from Z4 (with blackout clown nose) and gave me BS in the receipt that "The mirror is slightly different but is an updated version". Yeah..right.

I tried to talk him to give me the Oval M one like the original defective one, but he said something like "this mirror supersedes the M one because BMW improves the autodim and does not allow the part department to order the oval one and gave this one instead. Trust me because I work in parts dept for 10 years..I won't be messing with you ..blah blah blah.." Well some people might be ok with that, but I want the identical one for warranty repair. If I want the Z4 or rectangular mirror, I'll replace it myself out of warranty.

I don't buy it that BMW does not allow customer to put the exact same part into the car for warranty claim.

I insisted to talk with Parts Manager and he was nice enough to find the right one for me. AND THEY HAVE THIS IN STOCK. I don't know why they had to "special order" from BMW NA and still could not order the right one. Well he also told me that all mirror has the same part number, just have to choose the right item number. I look at the one he found for me and the part number is not the same as the one they ordered for me.

Well. I see a lot of M3s in the service center with even rectangular ones, so I guess this how they sell the lame excuse of ordering the wrong parts?

I had to wait 9 hours to get my car back just for eplacing the mirror and another 1 hour arguing this with him. He ended up replacing my mirror himself in 5 mins with the part they have in stock.

VOB really lives up to their reputation and this is probably the last time I will go there for my service. Since I live in VA, I'll take my chance with Fairfax, Arlington or Sterling (quite far).

BTW, the replacement mirror works perfectly with the dim area covering the whole oval.
raakME-CU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #18
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
My mirror just showed signs of leaking tonight. Can I have it replaced for free?

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #19
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Isn't there a site where you can send your broken mirrors to and they'll replace it for free?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
Isn't there a site where you can send your broken mirrors to and they'll replace it for free?
I heard there is a site that will fix for about $75, including your original your mirror as a core.

But I would like totally free if possible.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote