E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #141
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
lol, why are your panties in a bunch? I haven't insulted you yet, nor have I even responded to you.
Hmm... Big internet ego hiding behind cliche forum lingo, and threatening to insult over the internet: "I haven't insulted you YET, but I can, consider yourself warned!"

Sorry that I don't have time to right a "long post" this time. Or was that not me you were responding to when you referred to somebody writing and/or having time to write long posts? Twice

Quote:
Ok, if people aren't going to argue with me, I'm just going to leave.
Sorry to disappoint, try others if you're looking for arguments.

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #142
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
I disagree with what I put in bold. Metal warps from dissimilar expansion, not just heat. Heat metal evenly and it expands and contracts evenly with no stresses. A good example is people popping out dents with the spray from a computer duster bottle turned upside down.

Though the temperature of the coolant may not go passed the boiling point, the formation of vapor drastically reduces heat transfer from the metal of the engine to the coolant, so the engine will get much hotter than the coolant. Once a vapor bubble or pocket forms, the heat transfer rate goes from 0.58 watts per meter-kelvin to 0.016 , 97% slower. So pretty huge difference in cooling if there is a vapor pocket somewhere.

lol, why are your panties in a bunch? I haven't insulted you yet, nor have I even responded to you.

Ok, if people aren't going to argue with me, I'm just going to leave.
Are you also an engineer, or just someone who is mechanically/mathematically inclined?

SeanC, chill dude. You're reading too deeply into people's posts on teh interwebz.

Last edited by WDE46; 10-11-2012 at 09:05 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #143
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
thread is hilarious. you guys have chased OP out of here and convinced him that his thermostat was stuck open when he's trying to get some test results on an aftermarket expansion tank cap. Hope he listens!!! So much for his results holding any validity if he's got the thermostat stuck open.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #144
SeanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
thread is hilarious. you guys have chased OP out of here and convinced him that his thermostat was stuck open when he's trying to get some test results on an aftermarket expansion tank cap. Hope he listens!!! So much for his results holding any validity if he's got the thermostat stuck open.
yeah if you look at it from that perspective...

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #145
mkodama

Poor OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Are you also an engineer, or just someone who is mechanically/mathematically inclined?

SeanC, chill dude. You're reading too deeply into people's posts on teh interwebz.
Before I answer, why do you ask and why do you think I'm either of those two?

Last edited by mkodama; 10-11-2012 at 08:25 PM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #146
I8UrCat

My Ride: 06 325CI M-Sport
For those that don't know, the 1.4bar cap is 17-11-1-742-232. I checked my coolant level last night and found that it was almost empty, but the only coolant stain I can find is in my stock 2bar cap past the o-rings. I've looked at everything else with my mirror and light, and don't see any signs. No stains coming down my expansion tank either, which is strange considering the rad cap. Did a pressure test at 19psi and checked for leaks, found nothing and the pressure didn't drop during the 5 minutes I had it on for. Picked up a 1.4bar cap today instead of a new 2bar. Will do a more thorough search this weekend when I'm on the hoist.
I8UrCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #147
phubar

My Ride: 335is, HD
^^ That is correct. The new cap reads 140 instead of 200 and it's what the local stealership recommended when I went in to get parts for my cooling system overhaul.
phubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #148
hanna

My Ride: BMW 328i
^ Nice find! So, 1.4 bar cap is actually a BMW part number! So, by default we need 2.0 bar, but 1.4 is official too. Lol, all that arguing and the lower bar cap is already available from bmw
hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #149
phubar

My Ride: 335is, HD
not quite, the lower rated cap was intended for the e30 but I'm guessing unofficially some dealerships have been using them for awhile now.

some more info here http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1805206 (sorry mods if not allowed to link to other boards)

Last edited by phubar; 10-18-2012 at 01:33 AM.
phubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 AM   #150
hanna

My Ride: BMW 328i
I see, that makes sense, there is no reason to doubt BMW engineers on that one
hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #151
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Poor OP.

Before I answer, why do you ask and why do you think I'm either of those two?
Just curious and the work you did was better than most people are capable up.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #152
bryce-o

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP 3 pedal
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna View Post
^ Nice find! So, 1.4 bar cap is actually a BMW part number! So, by default we need 2.0 bar, but 1.4 is official too. Lol, all that arguing and the lower bar cap is already available from bmw
interesting info
bryce-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #153
bryce-o

as a head's up, the vendor i've been working with this on is working on both a 1 BAR and 1.2 BAR cap. he's going to send me whichever one is going to be the production cap, so that i can test it, datalog, record results, etc.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #154
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Just curious and the work you did was better than most people are capable up.
I'm a mechanical engineering student and work part time doing CAD for an engineering and manufacturing company.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #155
bryce-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
cooling system was completely replaced on 10-16, still awaiting coolant cap to test from vendor
Old 10-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #156
TonyJ

My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce-o View Post
cooling system was completely replaced on 10-16, still awaiting coolant cap to test from vendor
So, if 1.4Bar is already available from BMW, what the hell you even need to bother with any unproven 1BAR or 1.2BAR?
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #157
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
If you get NPG+ coolant, then worrying about the coolant boiling with a 1.4 or 1.0 bar cap is in the past. It's $40 a gallon and is a bit of a hassle to convert your cooling system to, but it's great stuff - it also is a long-lasting coolant. It is a waterless coolant.

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp?HC1=...p&hdept_id=417
Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #158
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Great, looks like people in the community has too much "street" knowledge, but when it comes down to actually calculating numbers, there is only WDE46, Terra and myself who are doing the work. I will look forward to your proof.

In my calculation of the pressure (without taking into account expansion), I used ideal gas law (PV=nRT), along with the knowledge of maximum operating temperature of 96 degrees Celcius. This gives a pressure of 1.3614 bars as the operating pressure (i.e. 0.3614 cap should suffice). For details and justification, read my posts above.

Now that we have an interval for the expansion (235-325 mL, we still don't know the absolute fill, hence we don't know the absolute expansion), we can start thinking about how this will effect the pressure that was calculated to be 1.3614 bars without taking into account the expansion. I still don't think it will effect it much, unless you're a clueless BMW owner (as most are), and top off your coolant as you would do on a domestic car.

So at this point, it seems to me that BMW is trying to minimize a possible premature ET failure by using a 2 bar cap. However, that's a good reason only for those clueless owners who tend to top things off, and I fail to see the advantages for the rest of us.
Ideal Gas Law can't be applied to water/steam You bleed the system of air, so there's very little that occupies the overall volume that you could even apply the ideal gas law too. And that little bit of air remaining is likely humid given the fact that if you open your cap when it's still warm there's quite a bit of condensation on the bottom of the cap along with a bit of steam.

Last edited by briangl92; 10-29-2012 at 11:23 PM.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #159
SeanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Ideal Gas Law can't be applied to water/steam You bleed the system of air, so there's very little that occupies the overall volume that you could even apply the ideal gas law too. And that little bit of air remaining is likely humid given the fact that if you open your cap when it's still warm there's quite a bit of condensation on the bottom of the cap along with a bit of steam.
1. I wasn't applying to water/steam
2. You don't know what you're talking about.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #160
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
1. I wasn't applying to water/steam
2. You don't know what you're talking about.

Stop responding like a dick head. The point I was trying to make is the high humidity in the volume you're considering affects the applicability of the Ideal Gas Law.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote